Anyone with same problem as me? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Anyone with same problem as me?

I absolutely LOVE my jems... but I've never been able to play RG's. I've never liked them any ideas why?

I loved my S- series though! my js6000 is phenoonal to play. Will eventually route it out for a floyd rose and make it a "normal" js I think... maybe not, who knows. They arent going up in value for whatever reason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Re: Anyone with same problem as me?

to each his own. I love my RG's and cannot stand playing early model JEMS from the 80s. necks are too thick and tree like for me. the 7vwh is my fav and only jem i have now. as for RGs, i have to say that the RG prestige series will kill ANY JEM! I bought 2 prestige RGs from Rich....BEYOND OUTSTANDING! my opinion
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
to each his own. I love my RG's and cannot stand playing early model JEMS from the 80s. necks are too thick and tree like for me. the 7vwh is my fav and only jem i have now. as for RGs, i have to say that the RG prestige series will kill ANY JEM! I bought 2 prestige RGs from Rich....BEYOND OUTSTANDING! my opinion
I won't comment on the kill any Jem statement since I'm pretty new to Ibanez guitars, but I will say I'm REALLY liking my new RG 2550e Prestige.

Eariler in the week I went to my local GC to kill a lunch hour and sat down with a nice new Jem they had hanging on the wall. When I left GC I thought that my Prestige played and felt just as good as the $2500.00 Jem for almost $2000.00 less. Granted the Jem pickups sounded much better than what the 2550 comes with, but I just didn't see what makes the Jem worth so much more?? Flame on......lol.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11

Now, correct me if im wrong, but Jems have their own unique neck shape, correct?

maybe thats why I dont like rgs?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Now, correct me if im wrong, but Jems have their own unique neck shape, correct?

maybe thats why I dont like rgs?
Correct, but they're not too different. It depends on the Jem model and Rg model. I absolutely love the necks on my early RG-570s and 550--very organic. I did not like the neck on my early 770DX, even though it was essentially the same Wizard as the 570s, but with binding.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 2

The ultra Wizard neck on my RGT3120 is very similar to the Jem/Jem Prestige models. Mine is 19.5mm @1st and 21.5mm @ 12th. the JEM's were 19/21. all other specs were the same.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:07 AM

Same here. the body of an rg just never did it for me. I find the s series styles to be on the top of the list for ibanezs for me. I like the fact that I can play and not feel weighed down. Dont get me wrong I love a good lp but after 30mins of standing and playing your almost wiped out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

My late 80's jem plays great and feels excellent,
but my to guitars from Ibanez Rules are unspeakably shred-able.
I tried to get Rich to do a fret level and a set up on my old 777 and my RG but he said no, "too much like service work"
apart from a Pro set up I doubt there would much difference in playability.
the difference between my 777 and my rg 550 is hardly worth mentioning, but they were manufactured within a year of each other
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:35 PM

I love service work, PM me.

And I prefer my RG to a Jem any day.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manticore View Post
My late 80's jem plays great and feels excellent,
but my to guitars from Ibanez Rules are unspeakably shred-able.
I tried to get Rich to do a fret level and a set up on my old 777 and my RG but he said no, "too much like service work"
apart from a Pro set up I doubt there would much difference in playability.
the difference between my 777 and my rg 550 is hardly worth mentioning, but they were manufactured within a year of each other
I think my stardard answer [depending on when you ask], is I very rarely take on tech for pay. You have to catch me twiddling my thumbs and desperate for something to do, which is very rare, and usually a welcome break
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
I absolutely LOVE my jems... but I've never been able to play RG's. I've never liked them any ideas why?

I loved my S- series though! my js6000 is phenoonal to play. Will eventually route it out for a floyd rose and make it a "normal" js I think... maybe not, who knows. They arent going up in value for whatever reason
Never had that kind of problem.
I really don't care about models,brands,woods,necks etc,the only thing that bothers me is strings action,if it's too high notes sound out of tune and it's terrible to tapping and sweeping.
I can play any kind of guitar but if it has high action you'll see me making weird faces like.............................what the hell!
Of course there are differences between playing and rg and a les paul but still those differences are far away from stopping me of playing it.
Necks should only bothers you if you're a hobby player who only plays some metallica riffs before going to bed but if you practice everyday with a metronome those differences between models and brands should not bother you on a so deep level like .........you can't play this or that guitar.If they do maybe you should practice more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode