Anyone seen "V for Vendetta"? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Anyone seen "V for Vendetta"?

I thought it was pretty good, but the US would be a much better place to film it IMO. I understand it's based on comics and there the action takes place in UK, but still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:53 PM

Re: Anyone seen "V for Vendetta"?

I thought it was pretty good. I don't see what would be better about it if it was filmed in the US though. Most films are anyway...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 09:14 PM

I saw this film a few weeks ago, after YEARS of anticipation. Whilst the core of the story remained intact, it was plain to see that a significant amount of the original plot had been altered, or just omitted altogether. However, I felt that the Wachowski brothers created an extremely respectful reworking of the story that managed to echo but not repeat many issues from The Matrix.
I've always felt the book was quintessentially British, demonstrating a very British way of thinking. Of course, the specific history the character V mirrors isn't appropriate to the US.
I'm not saying there aren't American equivalents, it's just that if it were simply relocated to the US then the whole look of the story would be lost.
And naturally, originally being a graphic novel meant that a very large amount of the imagery was pre-defined.
Or something.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 09:19 PM

Yeap, saw it. Would be nice to know who the hell is under the mask? I was waiting and waiting for himself to unmask. Even after "V" died the girl still didn't unmask him ... DAMN
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
the US would be a much better place to film it
why is that?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 09:25 PM

I thought it was a good movie, and being one of the many who never read the graphic novel, I had no prior disposition to be dissapointed by
The plot was pretty good, and the UK setting was a nice change of pace. Acting was done nicely though there were a couple "huh?" moments where it took a moment to register.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 10:09 PM

I liked it a lot, though I never read the graphic novels either. Unmasking wouldn't have helped - he was burned to a crisp under there. Though the actor was Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith).
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
he was burned to a crisp under there.
Oh yeah, I've forgotten
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

>> why is that?

Don't you see what's going on? As of right now _in the US_, you can be searched, wiretapped, indefinitely detained and tortured, all without any court orders or public scrutiny. The only thing that's needed for the government to get away with that is to call you a "terrorist" and present some fabricated "evidence" (or no evidence at all if you're in Guantanamo Bay). It's a scary and slippery slope.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 12:06 AM

i know what you're saying, but post #3, 2nd paragraph sums it up. if this movie was a fresh idea and wasn't based on anything, i could understand, but it wouldn't be very true to the original concept.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

The author of the original story said it best:

Quote:
After reading the script, Moore remarked that his comic had been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country.... [This film] is a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives — which is not what [the comic] 'V for Vendetta' was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about [England]." He later adds that if the Wachowskis had wanted to protest what was going in America, then they should have used a political narrative speaking directly at America's issues, similar to what Moore had done before with Britain.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Speaking of England, did you guys know that London has the hignest surveillance camera coverage in the world?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakened Sleeper
I saw this film a few weeks ago, after YEARS of anticipation. Whilst the core of the story remained intact, it was plain to see that a significant amount of the original plot had been altered, or just omitted altogether. However, I felt that the Wachowski brothers created an extremely respectful reworking of the story that managed to echo but not repeat many issues from The Matrix.
I've always felt the book was quintessentially British, demonstrating a very British way of thinking. Of course, the specific history the character V mirrors isn't appropriate to the US.
I'm not saying there aren't American equivalents, it's just that if it were simply relocated to the US then the whole look of the story would be lost.
And naturally, originally being a graphic novel meant that a very large amount of the imagery was pre-defined.
Or something.
The Wachowski brothers did this movie? Guess I'm not going watch this one after they complete ruined The Matrix with those horrible sequels.

Regards

André

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:04 PM

V for Vendetta was a great movie.

best quote
"I am an idea...and ideas are BULLET PROOF!"
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
I thought it was pretty good, but the US would be a much better place to film it IMO. I understand it's based on comics and there the action takes place in UK, but still.
It doesn't fir in the UK setting. The architecture was much more fitting for the movie in the UK rather in the US (and I'm an American mind you).

Screw the other Matrix movies. I believe V for Vendetta was actually better than the original Matrix, but that's just me. See it. Hell, see Thank You For Smoking as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode