Anyone watching the world snooker championship? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Anyone watching the world snooker championship?

What a weird tournament!

Ronnie is looking favourite at the moment, Stevens isn't looking bad either considering the sketchy table cloths.

And is it just me or is Shaun Murphy a complete twat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 11:10 AM

Re: Anyone watching the world snooker championship?

A twat he maybe, better snooker player than you and me though hehehe. Half of the players are twats, thats why they play snooker.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:16 PM

snooker looks insanely hard, so I stick with 9 ball :P
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:17 PM

hehehe it is hard, im crap at it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 01:45 PM

The best reason for watching snooker in Sweden is listening to the Swedish commentator (is that the right word?) Kim Hartman. He's hillarious. Weird sport though.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez2005
hehehe it is hard, im crap at it.

Same here! In all the years I've played, my highest break is only 29!

And yes, Murphy is a twat, I hate him! Now Steve Davis is out, I want Rocket to win.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj
Same here! In all the years I've played, my highest break is only 29!

And yes, Murphy is a twat, I hate him! Now Steve Davis is out, I want Rocket to win.
Funnily enough, I won a pair of Steve Davis's trousers recently (I'm a huge fan! lol), I'll put the story up here when I have a bit more time.

My highest break is 60+, I just wish I had more time to practice because I think I'd be getting 100+ breaks

Stevens v Doherty is on right now, looks good! couple of decent guys.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Ok, here is the story from the auction I won...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Davis
Here's the story:
Friday 6th January 2006
I'd had a good December. I'd reached the semi-finals of the Premier League and the final of the UK Snooker Championship in York only losing out to Ding Jun Hui at the last hurdle. It was my 100th professional final and even though I didn't win the event it was a very welcome return to the snooker limelight.With that memory still in the minds of snooker fans I was looking forward to a much more relaxed exhibition match with Stephen Hendry in Taunton at the Wellsprings leisure centre.
I was travelling from Essex having left myself plenty of time for the journey to the West Country. I was singing along to the latest Magma CD in the car when from the depths of my stupid brain I got the uneasy feeling that something wasn't quite right.
Cue! no, a quick glance onto the back seat and there it was... Phew! Shirt? Cufflinks? no I remember putting them in my hanging wardrobe. Now I was digging deeper, Waistcoat? Nope, and then it hit me. As I hurtled past Membury services at 69.9 miles an hour I realised that my dress suit trousers were lounging in a kirby trouser press just outside Romford.
No time to turn around and I also couldn't play in my track suit bottoms. They were Blue and it's not right, Blue and Black together. I phoned International Rescue but with the line busy I immediately contacted the Taunton Holiday Inn. A gentleman called David (thanks by the way Dave!) went out shopping and bought me a pair of how's y'fathers. It was a rough guess on size and I had to err on large rather than small so I plumped for the 34inch waist even though I'm a 32inch. The biggest problem was length as Marks & Spencers refuse to believe that anyone has an inside leg longer than 33inches.
I tried them on in my hotel room and I thought I might just about get away with it. Trouble was, there was a trade off. They were massive and short. Of course there's nothing worse than trousers having had an argument with your shoes as this would have shown off the white socks that I'd borrowed from Welshman Mark Williams. The only way this was going to work was with some low crutch work and the hipster approach. So I forced them South and became a 33 inside leg for the night
Long term, there was no hope of a permanent relationship between us, but as a one night stand they did the job albeit with enough room down the front for all 21 balls instead of the usual two!
The trousers played quite well, making a 100 break in frame two and producing some great trick shots later in the evening. they eventually went down 4-3 to an inspired Stephen Hendry performance although some of his gamesmanship on the evening left much to be desired (shouting out "low arse" while I was on a tricky cut back black didn't really help things
I drove back with my acquired trousers and chucked them in the corner of the room. Job done, bye bye trousers
Fast Forward one week:
Andy Dillon from the Sun newspaper phones for an interview in a build up to the Masters and someone has tipped him off about the trousers so I tell him the story and he thinks it's worth a few paragraphs and I say "tell you what, I'll whack em up for auction on **** during the Masters" and he says "good idea I'll give it a plug and we'll raise some money for charity" and I think Paul Hunter's chosen Cancer charity and here you are reading this diatribe!
So here they are; A pair of trousers that have played a Snooker Exhibition against Stephen Hendry all proceeds going Paul Hunter's chosen cancer charity the NET Patient Foundation Charity Number 1092386
So he ended up sending me an awesome package with a Masters program signed by him and John Parrot, and an a signed photo! This was actually round 2 because when I was a kid my parents wrote off to Matchroom Snooker to get his autograph for my birthday and he went one better and bought me a birthday card!

So yeah, I'm a huge fan of Steve's and gutted to see him go out!

Here's a picture of Steve in the pants...

http://i23.eb ayimg.com/01/i/06/03/35/1a_1.JPG just delete the space between the b and a in eb ay.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 06:04 PM

Steve's a top bloke, I'd rather have his cue than his pair of how's y'fathers

Catched the end of Rocket's match, thought that was getting a bit too close!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

It was funny because I asked if Steve would sign them and I got an e-mail back saying "Yes where do you want me to sign them, Steve" WTF?! My eyes almost fell out of my head when I found out I was dealing with him over e-mail.

Yeah Ronnie is one of the only guys out there that can take a bad session, click his fingers, then start playing well again. I think that Day's cue action lost it for him though and Ronnie pounced. At one point (not sure if you saw it or not) Day had a straight pink into the corner pocket and chipped the ball straight over the pink into the corner pocket, that just lost it for him.

If Shaun Murphy becomes the only man to break the crucible curse I'll cry and use my cue as a javalin, lol
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 08:56 AM

I've hardly done anything else than watching snooker the last two weeks. Semis starts today and I'm as happy as most of you seing the back of Shaun Murphy. There's something very un-rock'n'roll about him.
I hope to see Ebdon vs O'Sullivan in the final. Both appears to be in form so that could be a great match.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

I kissed my TV when he went out last night! lol

People keep saying he's been a great champion and he's done loads in his year as champ, but he hasn't done a damn thing. He's not looked like he was going to win a damn thing all season. Not only that but he says the most obnoxious things like "I used to call Steve 'Mr. Davis'. I used to look up to him." It's like, why can't you still look up to him and respect what he has done?

Ebdon v O'Sullivan would be awesome, it was in last year's tournament. It seems to be the big money match people want to see.

Hopefully Peter will get a 147 before the end of the tournament, he's been close!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode