Apple has lost it's way... rough waters ahead. (shuffle cant use your headphones)
It's sad to see Jobs sick as you have to respect his leadership & restoration of what was a dead american company. Too bad instead of perhaps informing others of his disease, possibly helping others in need, Apple is defrauding it's shareholders & burying their head in the sand but that's for another thread. They don't seem to make good decisions without Jobs anyways.
Apple is the poster child for overpriced, underperforming stuff people used to purchase without THINKING because of hype & advertisements. It's only notable product today - the iPhone - breaks that mold as it's pretty cheap and makes AT&T a ton of revenue!
Heresy, but just look at the first product after Jobs stepped down. A frikin' 4GB $80 "shuffle" that can't use your own headphones
. Apple knows ipod users only have a few dozen songs on the ipods anyways. But flash prices dropped so the $3 4GB chip replaces the $2.50 512MB chip keeping prices high! Plus now if you use a shuffle (ie. gym) you can't even use DECENT HEADPHONES (one that actually cancel background noise). IS THIS COMPANY THAT STUPID! Or does it just assume consumers still are?
Other notable reasons Apple peaked
* PC industry facing biggest annual slump since its inception.
* 100% product markup
doesn't work anymore. it was a short term blip.
* Apple stores
(ie. nothing but advertisements) in bankrupt malls are a total cash drain
- apple can't sell netbooks for $269 when their lame iPods cost more and do much less. But they're working on a "touchscreen" netbook to try the 100% markup thingy again. Netbooks are a huge growth and have sales of 18million units worldwide in 2008. These fit on student's desks (in class) and their budget
. Writing on the screen would be pointless.
* Small Laptops
- too many good ones at great prices with small sizes (Dell Mini-12 or Mini-10 for example full 1280x720p displays, Dell Inspiron-13, etc.)
. Stuck on one carrier worldwide, apple has little chance to build it's revenue here, while all other carriers & their phones offer as much general functionality by years end. Businesses cannot and will not deal with iPhone when there is that thing called "Blackberry" and many other winmobile smartphones.
* iPhone application sales are abysmal
but who didn't expect that? The average iPhone user has trouble dialing it or getting headphones to work. the iPhone does too much for what people need to sell more useless apps & services to said consumer.
* iPods are a dead end product, the only one that really gave Apple actual revenue during the last few years. This was because they sold $45 in parts for $249.
Anyways, is anyone really surprised?