Apple: Letís discuss... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Apple: Letís discuss...

Apple is getting closer to becoming the first trillion dollar company, as is Amazon. That is interesting for Wall Street types and people who like large numbers.

They used the words ďnaturalĒ and ďintuitiveĒ quite a bit regarding the iPhone X. Those are two words that should probably only be said once. Otherwise, you get the sense they are not all that natural or intuitive. Paying for things with your face is sort of demonstrates that. Just an observation.

There products are easier to use. - Is this an actual problem? I understand problems occur but overall, challenging is not how I would describe their products.

With that said, I have Apple products because they work and I like them. Will I be buying anything new? Only if something breaks, so hopefully No.

I do wonder if they planted any apple trees at their new headquarters.

What do you think of the current state of Apple?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 07:42 AM

Re: Apple: Letís discuss...

I've always hated Apple and I don't see that changing. For me, it's about trying to shove a unified customer experience down every user's throat. It's not for me. I'd rather not have manufacturers tell me how to live my life, and I'd rather not be forced to do things their way because they think they know better.

I don't like how everything is part of an ecosystem that is incompatible with other stuff, and I don't like how their "innovations" are small cosmetic changes that don't really bring technology into a new state.

They pioneered the mobile market by stealing ideas from and then quashing small companies, and now that they've consolidated influence, they're the playground bully.

They've got a great marketing and branding team. It seems to be working.

But I just won't drink the kool-aid.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

I just bought a $1500 Mac to surf Facebook. [/sarcasm]

I find their products harder to use and manage actually, but i'm glad they're in the market as they push other companies to make better products for consumers. That they are USA owned mobile hardware company is rather unique nowadays but they present an opportunity to reset manufacturing imbalances on the national level (see off-shore holdings & taxes below).

Apple convo should really cover what they do that is not iPhone related. It's way too small, they gain most profit from selling tons of phones at $350 profit margin basically. That can't last. The iPhone company thrives based on USA tween/teen sales & replacements. 65+ percent of this age believes their next phone is an iPhone. If that audience gets sick of having the same phone as Granny & mom what does Apple fall back on? Cloud services... nope. Their "services" currently is skimming from music and app creators and iPhone repairs.

As the cult of jobs dies off (they're aging but litter the media) it will be interesting to watch.

Post-music they were blocked out of video and the auto makers did the same with self-driving cars. They'll sink billions reportedly in video production (competing with Netflix) but don't have scale if they lock it to Apple only users. So it seems like they might enter a money pit they can't compete in. They don't work with others so their opportunity is limited... like the fisherman looking to catch only big fish.

If USA gets a real tax reform plan and companies like Apple, Amazon, Google, MS can bring almost trillion combined $ back into the US economy without giving 50% to Uncle Sam all bets are off. This really needs to happen. It's quite exciting actually.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

My family is locked into Apple through iTunes, too much music and video on iTunes to have the time to reconstruct our library in another medium

For me it was the easiest and obvious choice many years ago to use an iPod for the business travel I used to have to do, now I feel locked in. I don't feel loyalty to the brand, I feel dependent
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:16 PM

Genius marketing and product design for the most part, but I really dislike most millennial Apple users. I know so many people around my age that "needed" a $1000+ MacBook for school that would then complain about how broke they were.

Meantime I'd just sit there with a pen & paper looking at them like they were dropped a few times @ birth.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post

Meantime I'd just sit there with a pen & paper looking at them like they were dropped a few times @ birth.
I always used a pencil, they have erasers

Which reminds you of the story of the millions NASA spent developing a pen that would write in zero gravity, while the Russians just used a pencil
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

I think the marketing genius was basically how they seemingly monopolised "legal music downloads" in the age of Napster.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
My family is locked into Apple through iTunes, too much music and video on iTunes to have the time to reconstruct our library in another medium

For me it was the easiest and obvious choice many years ago to use an iPod for the business travel I used to have to do, now I feel locked in. I don't feel loyalty to the brand, I feel dependent
Switch to Spotify! 1000% worth it and it's only like $10 a month for a family license I think. I just split it with a few friends hehe. Spotify has just about everything too. I listen to a lot of obscure black metal and haven't really run into issues finding the music I want.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

My thing is having time to get things onto a music player, what I still love about iPods and iPads is that 'my' stuff comes with me and is available when I'm traveling, or in the car or at the gym.

Does Spotify need a source or can I download stuff to listed to when I want?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I don't feel loyalty to the brand, I feel dependent
That is a great summation of Apple in general. I just got the Apple Music trial and while it is great to have access and download all those songs, you can never leave Apple Music. All that music has become "dependent" on having their service. FOREVER.

I still old school the ripping of CD's into MP3 and not Apple lossless stuff for this very reason.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
My thing is having time to get things onto a music player, what I still love about iPods and iPads is that 'my' stuff comes with me and is available when I'm traveling, or in the car or at the gym.

Does Spotify need a source or can I download stuff to listed to when I want?
You can download anything you want. I believe it still has to do a hard check via internet to verify you still have a sub once in a while but it hasn't been a problem for me and I travel a fair bit. It can do the check via wifi.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think the marketing genius was basically how they seemingly monopolized "legal music downloads" in the age of Napster.
iTunes offered stability amongst the chaos that was the music industry at the time. iTunes also worked across all platforms and $1 per song was reasonable. I agree with you, but who else was in the position to implement something like iTunes in a sensible way? Sony is capable of so much but "sensible" is not one of their strengths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Genius marketing and product design for the most part, but I really dislike most millennial Apple users. I know so many people around my age that "needed" a $1000+ MacBook for school that would then complain about how broke they were.

For me, the only marketing that was truly genius was for the first Apple Watch. The videos, with Jonathan Ive narrating, are the best Apple has ever made. The marketing campaign was brilliant too. Despite this great marketing, I do not own a watch. I use the sun, it is the "green" way to tell time.

As for product design, I am really looking forward to the HomePod! The tech community is baffled by how it works which is not really their fault. Apple can not really market the HomePod like they market their other products either. Basically, it is an active room correction computer with a decent speaker. "Room correction" implies something is wrong with the customer's house/room which could offend people, at least subconsciously, so they can not say that. In fact, I do not think they will say anything at all. My guess is at every Apple Store there will be two HomePods set up in stereo. An employee will playback music and it will sound good. The employee will then playback music through one HomePod and it will sound less good. This back and forth comparison will happen a couple of times before the customer buys two of them for $700. That is my theory anyways.

3"x5" notecards are how things get done.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:29 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
iTunes offered stability amongst the chaos that was the music industry at the time. iTunes also worked across all platforms and $1 per song was reasonable. I agree with you, but who else was in the position to implement something like iTunes in a sensible way? Sony is capable of so much but "sensible" is not one of their strengths.
Not quite. The chaos was hype. Idiots like Lars U blabbering about Napster. Jobs preyed on the ignorance and fear of some connected dopes in the music industry and wound up with more profit per sale than the recording artists. Apple was given a free pass given on the non-standard DRM as lawsuit and anti-trust settlements including free iTunes books and such locking people in further. It's really a classic corporate scam of regulators, and industry and consumers.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
3"x5" notecards are how things get done.
For 20 years every Ibanez Rules sale, inquiry, want, etc has been written on 3"x3" pads, in ink
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 AM

I believe that apple's technology is very good. I mostly prefer it, just because it makes my tasks easier. Their consumer products work as expected without major issues. I am not the average consumer because of my technical background but, I find the their software is well designed and better than the competition. Their laptop hardware design is extremely better than anything else out there. Microsoft have been trying to compete with their Surface lineup but still they are not quite there yet. For iPhone and Ipad, the major competitor Samsung is close, sometimes better, but they keep fighting each couple of months for that first place, however Samsung's Android will never make me happy. I can't stand redundancy for the sake of selling you a Samsung ecosystem.

I am not convinced on the comments about apple just letting me use their hardware or the computer as they see fit, specially on a Mac. Mac Os is a certified Unix system you can install mostly any *nix tool out there. For consumer applications like Spotify you can use them and not Apple Music on both your iphone and mac. You want to replace Mac OS for Linux go ahead you can do it too.

I don't think that their innovation its on creating new revolutionary stuff, I think what really makes them special is that they take the revolutionary stuff that others implemented poorly and make it just work for the average consumer without major problems. They did that with the finger scanner, hiDPI displays, and now it seems they are on track to do the same with face recognition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode