Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm Adaptor - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm Adaptor

Just so everyone is up to date, Apple removed the 3.5mm headphone jack from the iPhone 7 lineup. In order to listen to audio with your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus you need Bluetooth headphones/speakers or the included Lightning to 3.5mm Adaptor. Some people on the internet have vociferously expressed their discontent over this development and how Apple is using their proprietory technology to scam people out of….I decided to buy the $9 Lightning to 3.5mm Adaptor and compare it with a built in 3.5mm headphone jack and audio over Bluetooth. I used my iPhone 5, a Belkin 3.5mm Male to Male TRS cable, and a Bose SoundLink II Bluetooth speaker with a 3.5mm Aux. Input. Here is what I heard and what I learned:

I hate cables. They get all tangled and they are always too long or too short. They make everything look unorganized and chaotic. Good cables are expensive, cheap cables are not good and the list goes on and on. I hate cables…..but I love the way they sound. The audio from my iPhone 5 sounded significantly better when it was wired to the Bose Speaker through the Aux. Input than when it was streaming wirelessly over Bluetooth. I was actually quite surprised at the difference because I had never compared the two forms of audio signal transference back to back. In the end, I learned what I already knew, "short, high quality cables sound better than magic." The iPhone 7 has a very different (meaning much better) audio system than my iPhone 5 so your results may vary.

The differences between the built-in headphone jack and the Lightning to 3.5mm Adaptor were minimal to the point I am not totally confident in them:
- Built in headphone jack - Less output, more low end
- Lightning to 3.5mm Adaptor - More output, less low end

I did use my Sennheiser HD600's for this part of the experiment. Do I normally do this? No. With the volume maxed out, my iPhone 5 was actually driving my HD600's pretty well in terms of volume, but it was losing in terms of sound quality and battery life. However, the iPhone 5 was never designed to do any of this. Realistically, I think a pair of Shure SE215's, or the Sennheiser equivalent, with the Lightning adaptor will give you the best results. If you want higher sound quality, listen to music on something other than your phone.

Lightning to 3.5mm Adaptor Addendum
This adaptor is rather impressive for several reasons. First, it is $9. Nothing in the Apple store is $9. USB to USB cables are $19. Second, for $9 you get a Lightning Connector that goes directly into a DAC, which sends the audio signal to a FEMALE 3.5mm jack. Third, when it comes to cables/jacks/electrical engineering people use MALE and FEMALE connectors. That is just what they do. I hope the reason why they are called MALE and FEMALE is obvious. When the TRS FEMALE connector is exposed, you throw in the word "dongle," and plug your headphones into the "dongle," somewhere there will be a kid with a question that the parents will not be happy about and they will blame Apple. Fortunately, a "headphone jack" is just a "headphone jack" and that is as complex as Apple's marketing department feels they need to be on that subject. In other words, "Ignorance is bliss."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:29 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm Adaptor

Lets keep it real, there really is no argument that favors removing a 3.5mm input/output jack on a phone, tablet or PC. This includes any given iPhone.

Of course adapters work OK, anyone remember the 2.5mm to 3.5mm headphone adapters of original smartphones?! It's just that dongles are annoying to people, break, get lost and add an extra connection point.

I don't even use Bluetooth (music) in the car because it compromises a lot of sound (you all know this). But for car use the Apple dongle solution is not as dreadful, except now you can't charge your phone when using the adapter. Not good for GPS (turn-by-turn direction) users.

Really lame... not serving customers instead is a solution in search of a problem to put it nicely.... glen
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Lets keep it real, there really is no argument that favors removing a 3.5mm input/output jack on a phone, tablet or PC. This includes any given iPhone.

Of course adapters work OK, anyone remember the 2.5mm to 3.5mm headphone adapters of original smartphones?! It's just that dongles are annoying to people, break, get lost and add an extra connection point.

I don't even use Bluetooth (music) in the car because it compromises a lot of sound (you all know this). But for car use the Apple dongle solution is not as dreadful, except now you can't charge your phone when using the adapter. Not good for GPS (turn-by-turn direction) users.

Really lame... not serving customers instead is a solution in search of a problem to put it nicely.... glen
This dongle could break, I'll give you that.

The new iPhone has speakers; sound will come from the phone while it is being charged in the car. I have never used headphones for GPS while driving. That does not sound safe.

It seems an awful lot of people have problems losing their adaptors. All I can say is try to lose your stuff.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:44 AM
site founder 0% owner

The "headphone jack" drives the AUX input of the car stereo. Listening to cd-quality music in your car for example from a phone.

Without the "headphone jack" you now need to use Bluetooth audio (in the car) to listen while charging the phone while driving.

Terrible solution again and why? So apple can charge licensing fees for lightning cable use.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:05 PM

This was a questionable move on Apple's part, for sure. For a company that generally "gets" people's relationship with music pretty well, they (IMO) totally missed the mark on how conservative/reactionary people are when it comes to music technology. We're in the middle of a vinyl resurgence, and they thought consumers would want to abandon an analog headphone jack in favor of a digital connection?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

This is a dumb move by Apple if you ask me, I understand the idea of making people buy Apple headphones, but to me, listening to music on my phone is a convenience thing, not an audiophilic choice. If my headphones break whilst I'm at the gym, I want to grab whatever is available, not have to shop for a specific brand.

If i didn't have everything in iTunes I'd be switching technology when I next switch my phone. As it is, I feel like the iPhone 6s is going to be a very popular phone for a while!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
This was a questionable move on Apple's part, for sure. For a company that generally "gets" people's relationship with music pretty well, they (IMO) totally missed the mark on how conservative/reactionary people are when it comes to music technology. We're in the middle of a vinyl resurgence, and they thought consumers would want to abandon an analog headphone jack in favor of a digital connection?
I wish we had the SSO smilies over here on Jemsite because "questionable" (which would be represented by the Spock smilie) is probably the best word to use at the moment. However, I do not think the majority of iPhone buyers are thinking in terms of "analog" and "digital" connections. I think it's more like "Where's the plug I normally use?" Also, consumers have a pretty steady track record of abandoning "analog" for "digital" (take photography as an example). As for the vinyl resurgence, all I have seen are bands releasing vinyl records that I assume sell. I have yet to see an increase in record players being used or being purchased because I have not seen them for sale. But like I said, "questionable" is a good word to describe Apple's decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
This is a dumb move by Apple if you ask me, I understand the idea of making people buy Apple headphones, but to me, listening to music on my phone is a convenience thing, not an audiophilic choice. If my headphones break whilst I'm at the gym, I want to grab whatever is available, not have to shop for a specific brand.

If i didn't have everything in iTunes I'd be switching technology when I next switch my phone. As it is, I feel like the iPhone 6s is going to be a very popular phone for a while!
The Apple lightning headphones are free as is the adapter when you buy an iPhone 7. Although, I suppose Beats are Apple headphones too. I agree, having music on your phone is very convenient and sometimes you just want sound and quality is not really pertinent to the situation. I really do not think it will be much of a problem especially since iPhones do other things in addition to music playback.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 05:19 PM

Not a big fan of them removing the head phone jack, but as I understand it the reason was to make the phone more water proof.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
The Apple lightning headphones are free as is the adapter when you buy an iPhone 7. Although, I suppose Beats are Apple headphones too. I agree, having music on your phone is very convenient and sometimes you just want sound and quality is not really pertinent to the situation. I really do not think it will be much of a problem especially since iPhones do other things in addition to music playback.
The first pair is free, the second pair? We've all lost, broken and forgotten headphones and that's where I think Apple have dropped the ball. I used to travel a lot for work, and I love the fact that my technology is ubiquitous, I can get spares anywhere. When Apple switched from the old school connector to the Lightning connector, it meant some of my hardware, like my Bose iPod dock only worked with my older Apple devices. But that's ok, because the big iPod classics are cooler and more hipster anyway, but the two tier technology was a pain in the neck.

Almost all phones do other things too, you're right, and apart from the fact that the Samsung Galaxy seems to come with optional bonfire tech, to me, Apple's only market plus point (which in retrospect is more like blackmail to keep using their devices than a USP) is that I've already invested in an iTunes library. Although I still buy a lot on CD, simply in case I want to switch format at some point.

I'm sure Apple will do fine with the kids it has for years now, but I can't help but feel that technologically, this isn't as good an idea. That said maybe the extra money from extra headphones will more than offset lost sales fro a handful of people that go through headphones like they go through socks.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 10:01 AM
site founder 0% owner

Samsung has been waterproof since the S5. Several others have waterproof devices that are thin and modern.

I appreciate that people might not feel they need the headphone jack but what I don't appreciate is a greedy corporation telling customers that it doesn't need it. Especially when said greedy company have an iron strong grip on the wireless carriers who have a total monopoly over customers.

Phil Schiller explained removing the jack as "courage". This guy simply mocks his customers.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I agree that "courage" is probably not a word that should ever be used to describe an update in phone design.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 05:39 AM

its old tech, takes up room and serves only one purpose. Apple wanted it gone. Simple.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 08:42 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
its old tech
does it not work very,very well?

New Coke.

If you remove the headphone jack you at least have to have WIRELESS charging, a feature other brands offered 2-3 years ago.

Quote:
takes up room and serves only one purpose.
so what? Look, Apple already skips microSD card slots, the screen is disproportionally small to the overall body, the home button is way large, the battery too small... many mis-steps in terms of hardware & space allocation is a running theme only exacerbated by removing the headphone jack. Or add a QC2.0 or 3.0 chip for faster charging.

Progress LOL.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
does it not work very,very well?

New Coke.

If you remove the headphone jack you at least have to have WIRELESS charging, a feature other brands offered 2-3 years ago.

so what? Look, Apple already skips microSD card slots, the screen is disproportionally small to the overall body, the home button is way large, the battery too small... many mis-steps in terms of hardware & space allocation is a running theme only exacerbated by removing the headphone jack. Or add a QC2.0 or 3.0 chip for faster charging.

Progress LOL.
Ohhh so Apple wont make the phone YOU want.... poor baby.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
its old tech, takes up room and serves only one purpose. Apple wanted it gone. Simple.
Correct. Simple as that. Plus no more warranty claims with mechanical components, plus reduced production costs.
At the same time Apple does not come up with high quality streaming audio, buying Beats did't change that of course. They are one of the very few not using aptX for their new devices. They are simply no audio enthusiasts, just profit-driven.
Jemerator is online  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode