Arrogance Encounterd While Guitar Shopping - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Arrogance Encounterd While Guitar Shopping

Yesterday afternoon, I found myself a little bored so I meandered down to the local Muscian's Friend Clearance Center, to horse around on the George Lynch ESP Kamikazee guitar that my heart has fallen passionately in love with. Much less trouble than a man, I must say.

While I was there I encountered a few displays of egotism that just irritated the crap out of me. While I was trying to keep a low profile, since I'm not that great yet on the electric (I had the volume of the amp low) this young kid sitting a distance away from me is jamming away playing all kinds of rock tunes very loud. After a while I realized he was playing Fade to Black along with me and giving me this smug look. Some might say that it was in good fun, but he was trying to show me up. I don't care, I just thought it was really silly of him.

Then I mosey over to the accoustic room, and this guy comes in with his son and starts messing with different mandolins. He was an extremely talented player, but I overheard him talking to guys in the room and everything that came out of his mouth reeked of egotism. He was talking about how he has sooo many instruments at home and how he is sooo good. His son was also a very good mandolin player, but I didn't hear this non-sense coming out of his mouth.

To make matters worse, the drum room is located right next to the accoustic room and this kid was beating the drums so hard I couldn't even hear myself play. I left with the worst headache known to man.

I know this is probably what I deserve shopping a place like that. I do know that I have a lot more respect for artists that practice a little humility. I know showmanship is part of the game, but what is up with the attitude that I am better than every one else. I think of all the irritations, it was the guy boasting with the mandolins that bothered me the most. I hope his son does not end up this way.

I'm just ranting, but maybe I will either not go to these sort of establishments on the weekend, or I will start doing my shopping on-line. I prefer to go to the store and see the merchandise for myself. Maybe I just started out with a bad day to begin with. Who knows.

Last edited by guitar_chick; 06-03-2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: grammar mishap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 04:51 PM

Re: Arrogance Encounterd Will Guitar Shopping

yer you get those kind of peeps everywhere, try going in next time wearing this
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectjem View Post
yer you get those kind of peeps everywhere, try going in next time wearing this
That is freakin' awesome. I love Groucho Marx!
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_chick View Post
Much less trouble than a man, I must say.
Ouch..... could this be considered female "egotisum"?

Quote:
Will I was there I encountered a few displays of egotism that just irritated the crap out of me. While I was trying to keep a low profile, since I'm not that great yet on the electric (I had the volume of the amp low) this young kid sitting a distance away from me is jamming away playing all kinds of rock tunes very loud. After a while I realized he was playing Fade to Black along with me and giving me this smug look. Some might say that it was in good fun, but he was trying to show me up. I don't care, I just thought it was really silly of him.

Then I mosey over to the acoustic room, and this guy comes in with his son and starts messing with different mandolins. He was an extremely talented player, but I overheard him talking to guys in the room and everything that came out of his mouth reeked of egotism. He was talking about how he has sooo many instruments at home and how he is sooo good. His son was also a very good mandolin player, but I didn't hear this non-sense coming out of his mouth.

To make matters worse, the drum room is located right next to the acoustic room and this kid was beating the drums so hard I couldn't even hear myself play. I left with the worst headache known to man.

I know this is probably what I deserve shopping a place like that. I do know that I have a lot more respect for artists that practice a little humility. I know showmanship is part of the game, but what is up with the attitude that I am better than every one else. I think of all the irritations, it was the guy boasting with the mandolins that bothered me the most. I hope his son does not end up this way.

I'm just ranting, but maybe I will either not go to these sort of establishments on the weekend, or I will start doing my shopping on-line. I prefer to go to the store and see the merchandise for myself. Maybe I just started out with a bad day to begin with. Who knows.
You have to expect that kinda attitude everywhere you go. But it could be your getting older too and more attuned to the "@sshole" factor we all display on occasion. Some shops, just tend to have a bigger crowd of "legends in their own minds" at certain times of the day too.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Some shops, just tend to have a bigger crowd of "legends in their own minds" at certain times of the day too.
That was a good one. I don't mind when talented individuals are confident in their abilities. I admire that trait. But, too be blatantly and disgustingly boastful, makes it difficult to be around that individual for very long.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Just ignore them and have fun. You have just as much right to be there as the next guy. And just think, you only have to endure them for the duration of the time at the guitar shop, they have to go home and live with themselves. Consider yourself lucky. lol
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
Just ignore them and have fun. You have just as much right to be there as the next guy. And just think, you only have to endure them for the duration of the time at the guitar shop, they have to go home and live with themselves. Consider yourself lucky. lol
Heeheehee This is so true. There may come a day when they wonder why they don't have any friends, and this will probably be why.

Actually, when I see people behave this way, I tell myself that I hope I never act like that. I guess it is a good eye-opener. And others said it, it is true that you run into this everywhere you go. I guess it just nauseates me even more coming from an artist.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
That was a good one. I don't mind when talented individuals are confident in their abilities. I admire that trait. But, too be blatantly and disgustingly boastful, makes it difficult to be around that individual for very long.
Hey.... you completely ignored answering the "female egotism" question! (such display of ego to dismiss me like that)

I have a friend who's had a really good career and is a great guy if you can tolerate his ego. He still thinks he's all he used to be. It's easiest just to patronise him than make issue of it.

I still enjoy his company when we're not out in public or it's just around our mutual friends and family. Otherwise I can't "hang" too long especially at a music store. Besides, we've had our share of "ego clash" over the years anyway.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:46 PM

my ego is better than your ego.... no but I hate people like that in guitar stores! It is lame! hah
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey.... you completely ignored answering the "female egotism" question! (such display of ego to dismiss me like that)
After all the female bashing I've heard you guys do over the past few months, I think I'm entitled to my "day in the sun".

This is just what I tell myself so I feel better about not having date offers. In reality I wish I had a guy to be a pain for me. My troubles with guys are that I would like to date one, and people in my locale don't appear to date anymore. I've had guys even tell me right off the bat, "I don't want to date anyone." Kind of sad for me, because I'm the dating type.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:49 PM

Have you ever thought of trying a dating service? I would think the people there would be interested in dating, no?
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
Have you ever thought of trying a dating service? I would think the people there would be interested in dating, no?
I've thought about trying this. I would like to do one of those dinner date things, were a group of compatible people go. I've checked into some of this before and they always want to arrange this stuff on-line with credit cards. I don't make on-line purchases and have no credit card. I am in the dark ages.

I should check into this again. Leaving it up to fate is not working. Guys sometimes seem shocked to hear that I don't have anyone, yet no invites. The guys I'm usually interested in are always taken.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
After all the female bashing I've heard you guys do over the past few months, I think I'm entitled to my "day in the sun".
Now don't get me wrong..... I can be "sexist" with the best of them. But I've never "bashed" any women on here! After all it is an international forum with several ladies "posing" as members! JK... you do know that don't you???!!!

(Katrina doesn't count either.... she was a "teenage girl" not a woman!)

Hmmmm, maybe I'd better shut up while I'm ahead.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I've thought about trying this. I would like to do one of those dinner date things, were a group of compatible people go. I've checked into some of this before and they always want to arrange this stuff on-line with credit cards. I don't make on-line purchases and have no credit card. I am in the dark ages.

I should check into this again. Leaving it up to fate is not working. Guys sometimes seem shocked to hear that I don't have anyone, yet no invites. The guys I'm usually interested in are always taken.

You're seem like such a nice person. Funny and smart too. I would think any guy would be lucky to have someone like you. I hope you meet Mr. Right some day. I wish you all the best. And although it's not the same as having someone to love, at least you have lots of friends. That's not nothing.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
After all it is an international forum with several ladies "posing" as members! JK... you do know that don't you???!!!
Heeheehee

I can send you my guitar clip, but it would probably sicken you.
I'm kidding. I am a major work in progress, though. About the only thing I can "wail" on right now is Metallica's Fade to Black.

I have thought before that wouldn't it be funny if you guys get all worked up to find out later on that someone you thought was female was a drag-queen or some fellow just horsing around? That would be sheer irony. You never know with the internet.

I am an authentic, curvaceous female and I know you are joking.

Tags
billy sheehan , chord progression , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , johnny hiland , music store , nuno bettencourt , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode