ATTN: Computer Guru's - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
ATTN: Computer Guru's

I inherited my daughters laptop. It's an HP something or another. She got some bad ransomware/encrypting virus. All the files on the HHD were encrypted.

It has a Seagate Momentus 320Gb SATA300 drive (Model# ST320LM000 Part# HM321HI/M

I'm not sure if wiping this drive is worth it or if buying a new drive is the better option. Is this drive a decent one? If not, what can I replace it with? Can I use a SATA-6 drive? Can I use a higher RPM drive?

I'm thinking I'd like to try Ubuntu on this machine, mostly because it's free but also because I've never tried it. Any thought's??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:56 AM

Re: ATTN: Computer Guru's

Just load Ubuntu on it. During the startup process it will ask you about formatting the disk and do it for you.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
Just load Ubuntu on it. During the startup process it will ask you about formatting the disk and do it for you.
Thanks Chris. I'm going to try that now.

Do you have any experience with Ubuntu? Do you like it?
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Just wipe the disk clean - boot from USB/CD - upon installing as RGT said (or booting from Windows which imho makes much more sense for usefulness). You can drop a Solid State drive for some speed increase for a reasonable cost, especially if you don't need too munch storage space... glen
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Just wipe the disk clean - boot from USB/CD - upon installing as RGT said (or booting from Windows which imho makes much more sense for usefulness). You can drop a Solid State drive for some speed increase for a reasonable cost, especially if you don't need too munch storage space... glen
Thanks Glen...

I don't have a recovery/windows disc. This machine didn't ship with one...... supposedly.

I'm very interested in an SS drive. Are they all compatible with the drive/system I have now? Is there a particular drive I would need to be compatible?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM

I don't think it will be compatible. Sounds like the computer will be fine once you format the drive and install Linux and won't cost a penny. The format process will take place during install of Linux OS. I like Ubuntu and also Mint.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM
dex

You can absolutely get a SATA 600 drive and it will work but it'll run at the lower speed your system bus supports (SATA 300) so that shouldn't be a problem.
Not sure what sort of benefit a solid state drive would be, the small capacity ones are relatively cheap and all but unless you use large files or use some sort of video production software the biggest benefit would be a fast boot up time and these days all OS support sleep/hibernate so there's no need to switch your PC off. Also any modern 9.5mm 2.5" drive will fit so you can just get a larger capacity drive but the one in the laptop is perfectly fine all it needs is to be formatted.

About the laptop not having a recovery disk, that's pretty much the standard these days because there's a recovery partition on the laptop itself
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01443342
but if you can't use that the best thing to do is this.
Look on the bottom of the laptop for the Windows sticker and see what version of Windows is licensed for it. Then you can use another PC to download that Windows version from one of the torrent places (say the sticker says Windows 7 Home Premium - make sure you search for that version) and when you install Windows use your own product key (it'll be on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop) which should allow you to install again the fully legal version of Windows your laptop is licensed for.

That of course is in case you actually want to go back to Windows but didn't realise you can do it without recovery disks.
If you rather try a Linux distribution then just google how to run it from a USB drive and go from there.
Hopefully all this makes sense.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 04:28 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

SSD will be much, much faster in performing (opening apps, etc.), bootup, sleep/wake, etc. You just need to lookup the size 2.5" likely and height (any new model should fit in to replace the 320GB magnetic sata drive)...glen
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
SSD will be much, much faster in performing (opening apps, etc.), bootup, sleep/wake, etc. You just need to lookup the size 2.5" likely and height (any new model should fit in to replace the 320GB magnetic sata drive)...glen
SSD was the best thing I ever did.
I have 2 OCZ Agility 480 gig drives and the machine boots in around 10-12 seconds.

Restarting when installing software is no longer a pain in the ass and everything loads extremely quick. I've had no reliability issues whatsoever.

And I back the drives up on a weekly basis automatically to make sure I am not screwed if something goes wrong. I had a drive before these with so many bad sectors that all the over-provisioned sectors were already used. I couldn't even image the drive. I had to salvage bits and pieces. Learned my lesson.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Vendor

I love my SSD's, they're so much better than STD's!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I love my SSD's, they're so much better than STD's!

I'll drink to that!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 AM
dex

Just want to add that of course the SSD is much much faster and people who use their PCs for work will appreciate it greatly (like Glen who works with large RAW photo files and photo editing software and Rich who runs a business) but if you are like 99% of laptop users who only use the laptop to read the news and google stuff, buy things off ebay and amazon, read forums and watch youtube videos (and I have to admit that's all I do on my laptop) then the expense and hassle of buying and installing a SSD is hardly worth it.
Also by the questions the OP is asking you can see he's not that PC savvy so in his case the upgrade will hardly be worth it especially considering his 320GB HD is perfectly adequate.

Again, all else being equal the SSD IS much better but not really worth the expense for vast majority of PC users and to drive my point home, Glen let me ask you this. Would you consider installing a SSD in your older daughter's laptop???
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Vendor

I put an SSD in my laptop and I only use it a couple times a year. Way faster at everything, especially with WIN8.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Just want to add that of course the SSD is much much faster and people who use their PCs for work will appreciate it greatly (like Glen who works with large RAW photo files and photo editing software and Rich who runs a business) but if you are like 99% of laptop users who only use the laptop to read the news and google stuff, buy things off ebay and amazon, read forums and watch youtube videos (and I have to admit that's all I do on my laptop) then the expense and hassle of buying and installing a SSD is hardly worth it.
Also by the questions the OP is asking you can see he's not that PC savvy so in his case the upgrade will hardly be worth it especially considering his 320GB HD is perfectly adequate.

Again, all else being equal the SSD IS much better but not really worth the expense for vast majority of PC users and to drive my point home, Glen let me ask you this. Would you consider installing a SSD in your older daughter's laptop???
I'm actually fairly adept with PC's, but haven't had much time with Lappy's. I understand that I'll have a bottleneck with the SATA controller, but I didn't know if the 2.5" HDD's use a different form that's dependent on their SATA interface......... I thank you for that info....

I have one SSD (Corsair Force 240G) and two VelociRaptor HDD's in different systems now. The Corsair is in a home theater build. To be honest- there's not that much of a difference in speed for what I do. The corsair may be about 10% faster on boot? that's an estimate......
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 AM
dex

I'm surprised the SSD is only a little faster, it should be times faster. Say it takes my current laptop 4sec to open a PDF, with SSD it should be 1sec. It just that in my case after I open said PDF I spend 20min reading it during which time my HD idles and it really doesn't matter how fast it is.

If you have spare $$$ then by all means get a SSD, Glen can probably recommend a decent one at a good price. My only advice would be to get at least 240GB. I just had a look and I have 100GB system files (OS and programs I need) on a Win 7 machine (which came with Win 8 but I couldn't get used to the interface and had a few compatibility issues so downgraded to Win 7) so 128GB disk will be way too small.

By the way what are the specs of this HP laptop? Only asking as if you have an Intel B960 with 2GB RAM in it then you'd be better off getting more RAM rather than a SSD. If on the other hand you have a decent i3 or i5 with at least 4GB RAM then getting an SSD will make a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode