Ibanez JEM Forum banner

auto advice: buyin a truck

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  BobY04 
#1 ·
So i am in need of a good truck and have been looking at them for about a month now. I am looking at a ram 1500 quad cab. they have some really awesome deals on the 2011s left in stock but there are still quite a few left at most dealers.

my question is do you think they will come out with better offers after these expire ? Surly if there were enough 2011s left they would have to get them sold some how. the truck i want retails at 30,000, sold(simular truck earlier in the year) for around 25,000 and i can get it for about 20,000. I am in the military so i get a price guarantee from USAA.

I just hate to miss the extra savings if they aren't going to do any more incentives, but at the same time i didn't want to spend 20,000 if i can get it for cheaper just waiting a little while. I originally wanted a quad cab dakota but there aren't any left only extended cabs. I could get a new extended cab dakota for 16500 but it really is half the truck of the quad cab.

anyway i am hoping some one can offer me some insight.

#2 ·
I just bought a 2011 f150. Really good incentives right now I think. I doubt you will get a better deal later. What I often see is that one incentive is replaced by another. So one month it will be 0% financing. Next month there is a big cash rebate but you can't get 0% so in the end you pay the same. (unless you pay cash).
I say if you can find the truck you want right now grab it. It really sounds like you want the quad cab though so hold out for that or you might always wish you had bought that truck. Or end up trading in a year or two and that would be costly. Maybe you could find a demo or slightly used quad cab.

#3 ·
I had an '04 2500 Laramie that I absolutely loved (but it couldn't hold the whole family on trips). The '02-'09's were when Daimler-Benz were in charge of production and quality was at it's highest level ever. Now that Fiat is in charge I'd be cautious.

As far as incentives go- If you have a good relationship with a previous dealer he could probably tell you what incentives are expected in the near future. Most dealers know these things a month or more in advance.

#4 ·
yeah i would like the 1500 over the dakota but the wife can drive the dakota, she wouldn't drive the 1500. not a big issue though.

i don't have a good relationship with the dealer. This is the first time i have met with them and they already said that the 4500 dealer cash incentive would expire on January 3rd. My rep seemed nice enough and was straight forward with pricing. he had the email i sent with the price and the truck i like has a couple of added options so he gave me the cost break down of the added options.

I think i am going to haggle a little more, and see how desperate they are to get rid of them. If the dealer cash really does go away and there aren't any more incentives they stuck with it

#5 · (Edited)
well i got them to 21376 out the door on the 1500. here are the specs. I think i might take it

Options

32 Gallon Fuel Tank
40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
Bright Front Bumper
Bright Rear Bumper
Carpet Floor Covering
Chrome Appearance Group
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Cloth 40/20/40 Bench Seat
Electronically Controlled Throttle
Engine: 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Federal Emissions
Front & Rear Floor Mats
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler
Hemi Badge
Next Generation Engine Controller
Quick Order Package 26A ST
Rear Folding Seat
SIRIUS Satellite Radio
ST Popular Equipment Group
Speed Control
Tip Start
Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic

↑ to top
Features

ENTERTAINMENT FEATURES
Speakers: 6
CD player
Radio data system
MP3 decoder
AM/FM radio

SEATS AND TRIM
Front seats: bench
Front center armrest: w/storage
Rear seats: bench
Max seating capacity: 6

WARRANTY
Corrosion perforation warranty: 60 months/100,000miles
Basic warranty: 36 months/36,000miles
Roadside assistance coverage: 36 months/36,000miles
Powertrain warranty: 60 months/100,000miles

CONVENIENCE FEATURES
Power windows
Front beverage holders
Passenger door bin
Speed control
1-touch up
Driver door bin
Air conditioning
1-touch down
Tilt steering wheel

BODY EXTERIOR
Power door mirrors
Left rear passenger door: conventional
Rear step bumper
Trailer hitch receiver
Bumpers: chrome
Heated door mirrors
Right rear passenger: conventional

LIGHTING, VISIBILITY AND INSTRUMENTATION
Low tire pressure warning
Delay-off headlights
Variably intermittent wipers
Voltmeter
Fully automatic headlights
Oil pressure gauge
Tachometer

SAFETY AND SECURITY
Brake assist
Overhead airbag
Ignition disable
Electronic stability
Dual front impact airbags
ABS brakes
4 wheel disc brakes
Traction control

↑ to top
Tech Specs

POWERTRAIN
Cylinder deactivation
Engine liters: 5.7
Cylinder configuration: V-8
Variable valve control
Fuel economy highway: 20mpg
Manual-shift auto
Sequential multi-point fuel injection
Variable intake manifold
Number of valves: 16
Transmission: multi-speed automatic
Horsepower: 390hp @ 5,600RPM
Fuel economy city: 14mpg
Fuel tank capacity: 32.0gal.
Drive type: rear-wheel
Engine location: front
Mode select transmission

SUSPENSION/HANDLING
Rear anti-roll bar
Power steering
Front anti-roll bar
Front wheel independent suspension
Wheel size: 17"

SPECS AND DIMENSIONS
Curb weight: 2,214kg (4,881lbs)
Exterior body width: 2,017mm (79.4")
Exterior length: 5,817mm (229.0")
Greenhouse Gas Score (GG): 1
Payload: 735kg (1,620lbs)
GVWR: 3,039kg (6,700lbs)
Rear hiproom: 1,598mm (62.9")
Compression ratio: 10.50 to 1
Engine horsepower: 390hp @ 5,600RPM
Rear legroom: 881mm (34.7")
Engine displacement: 5.7 L
Rear headroom: 1,008mm (39.7")
Passenger volume: 3,302L (116.6 cu.ft.)
Exterior height: 1,908mm (75.1")
Wheelbase: 3,556mm (140.0")
Front legroom: 1,041mm (41.0")
Rear shoulder room: 1,669mm (65.7")
Engine bore x stroke: 99.6mm x 90.9mm (3.92" x 3.58")
Turning radius: 6.9m (22.6')6.9 '
Front shoulder room: 1,676mm (66.0")
Front hiproom: 1,605mm (63.2")
Air Pollution Score (AP): 6
Towing capacity: 3,969kg (8,750lbs)
Front headroom: 1,041mm (41.0")

OFF-ROAD CAPABILITY
Approach angle: 17 deg
Ground clearance (min): 229mm (9.0")
Departure angle: 25 deg
Ramp breakover angle: 21 deg
Ground clearance (max): 244mm (9.6")

#12 ·
I'd just like to throw in my $0.02, that while I haven't priced a new truck/features in some years, that I have a 1999 Chevy 2500 HD longbed (singlecab, reardrive 5.7 vortech) and i've put 336,000 miles on it with no rebuild on it or the original Allison transmission. It is truly a beast and i've already gone through a Cavalier, and 2 motors in my Subaru but the 2500 keeps chugging. Says alot about GM quality. I'd probably say the same about a good Ford truck, they've been known to take a mile or two.

#13 ·
LOL....I have 235,000 on my '02 Expedition. I had an '04 Ram 2500 that I loved, but the family hated. I put 73,000 on that one in a year and 3/4 without a single problem.

I think the big 3 have all gotten things figured out when it comes to trucks........now if they could start making tough cars........

#14 ·
my family has never had great luck with GM products. No one in my family has bought one recently but i did look at them myself because i do think they have improved build and quality more so in the recent years.

We have always had good luck with dodge and ford. I would have loved a ford but they are just too expensive. We had a 96 dodge ram that was wrecked twice and we sold it at 150,000 miles without any issues other then body work from the wrecks.

We also had a 98 ford expedition we got with 90,000 miles on it and it got to 187000 or something like that before we sold it.

My wifes dad has a 98 dodge 1500 and it has 218000 miles on it and hasn't had any major issues so far.

I just think it depends on how well you maintain the vehicle and how you drive it, some obviously are more prone to issues then others but for the most part i think it how you treat it.

#15 ·
Having worked at a Ford dealership for 15 years as a technician I can say you did the right thing by waiting until the end of the year to purchace a 2011 vehicle. Dealers do not want to carry new, year old vehicles in their inventories. In some places they may have to pay taxes on their inventories. Also December is usually a slow month with the holidays and people traveling.

I have to agree that most vehicles are built better and last longer. I believe that engines last longer because of the oils used in them. Oil makers are doing a better job researching and creating additives that prevent wear, sludge and reduce heat. If owners would follow the maintenance schedule found in their owners manual, their vehicles would last a lot longer.

Congratulations and Good Luck with your truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.