baby girl on the way - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15
baby girl on the way

So I'm finally having my first kid this summer(late June/early July) at the ripe old age of 37. Being older and wiser I think I'm as ready as I can be, but god only knows what's in store for me. I'm trying to get a grip on what's needed, not needed, overrated, etc. For example, what's the general consensus on a diaper genie? My sister-in-law says whatever stroller we get absolutely has to have a cupholder. Is trivial stuff like that more important than I think it is? Any help would be appreciated, like what do I REALLY need (beyond the essentials). I don't feel entirely overwhelmed, but I got a few months to build up to it. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Re: baby girl on the way

Congrtas! I am of no help here what so ever.. but I hope if goes well for you!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:33 PM

Reviews: 120

Well congratulations. I can tell you now, there's no way you can be prepared or fully ready for everything EVER!

Well I'm not sure what a diaper genie is, but I guess a cup holder is important if you think you really need it.

Make sure when the baby is born that you have plenty of nappies, wraps, jump suits, nappy wipes, bags to put stinky nappies in, sheets and blankets for your cot or bassinet, etc. Stock up on sleep now though, you won't be getting it again for a long time, and stay positive and make sure you and your partner look after yourselves and each other.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:53 PM

Congratulations!!!!

And hahahaha......hahaha.....heheehhehehe....

NO SLEEP FOR YOU!!!! (in the soup nazi voice)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 06:23 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Congratulations!!!!

And hahahaha......hahaha.....heheehhehehe....

NO SLEEP FOR YOU!!!! (in the soup nazi voice)
...lol... ;o) congrats on the baby!!! I have no kids so I don't have any advice...but it seems like millions of people have babies who are probably less prepared than you are so I'm willing to bet it will be the most amazing thing that's ever happened to you. =) Cheers!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
...lol... ;o) congrats on the baby!!! I have no kids so I don't have any advice...but it seems like millions of people have babies who are probably less prepared than you are so I'm willing to bet it will be the most amazing thing that's ever happened to you. =) Cheers!

^^^^ This is probably the smartest thing I've ever heard from a non-parent.

Congratulations Silver!!! what an exciting time. I almost wish I could do it again, I'm sure my son's are glad I won't be though.

Like LonePhantom said.........extra essentials!!! When you think you have enough- double up!!! you won't believe how fast a baby can ruin anything made of cloth.

When it comes to larger stuff, don't waste your time or money on the bells and whistles. Keep it simple. Your almost 40. You don't want to be fighting with a monstrous car seat every day. Remember, anything you buy you'll have to carry around every day til they grow out of it. A stroller with cupholders, odometers, video games, and every other piece of gimmicry they put on them is more weight that you and your wife have to lug around and up and down stairs. STREAMLINE.....and keep it cheap. pretty much everything you buy will be in the trash after a years use.

Spend money on baby-proofing your home. It's never too early to start that project.

Spend good money only on the things you think you'll use again (second child?).

For your sanity.... get a baby swing. It's like infant knock-out drops.....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 PM

Reviews: 4

Congrats!!!!!! May she bring much joy to your life!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Congrats
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'm already counting on walking around like a zombie from the lack of sleep. People have already been giving us stuff so we got a head start on collecting gear.

Dorian hit it right on the head, this will probably be the most amazing thing I'll do. Or it's going to be the most irresponsible thing I've done. Lol

RGT, my wife is on board with the whole streamlining theme, but keeping it cheap is a whole other can of worms I'm trying to sort out. This baby stuff is not cheap and she hasn't even been born yet!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 04:40 PM

Reviews: 13

As a grateful and proud father of two awesome boys, Congratulations!!

When all is said and done, the biggest and best thing you can give to any child is your time and love - so much harder than it seems too.

We found that a lot of places try and upsell on everything under the guise, 'if you don't buy this seat etc. you're a bad parent'. Don't buy in to the hype. Get the absolute basics to start and get the little things once bubs is born. Every child is so different, so each of us will have a different story as to what to get. You'll work it out quicker than you think!

Oh, but don't forget to get her a guitar, that's a neccessity

-Wolfram

Last edited by Wolfram; 04-03-2014 at 04:50 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 05:03 PM

Congrats, my little girl arrived on Christmas day just gone, 5 weeks early, my advice is to only get a few items of new born baby clothes, buy 1-3 months and 3-6 months clothes, friends and family brought us way to much most of which wasn't worn as she grew pretty quick.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:57 PM

Congrats!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 PM

Reviews: 21

Awesome news! You're exactly the same age I was when we had our first; also a girl. Like LP says, nothing will prepare you. It's a door that once you pass through you're never the same. It's tougher than heck but you'll love it more than anything. Impossible to explain until you're on the other side with us.
As far as essentials get the Munchkin Arm & Hammer diaper pail. IMO it works way better than Diaper Geenie.
Get a wipe warmer. People say they're useless but when you're changing a kid in the middle of the night that just woke themselves up from being unclean a cold wipe on the bum certainly wakes them up. Increase the odds they'll go back to sleep faster by using a wipe warmer.
Tummy time! Tummy time! Tummy time! Tummy time! They told us the baby has to sleep on her back, which is a good thing to prevent SIDs, but without tummy time they could develop torticolis and you'll be spending a king's ransom and many hours away from work attending physical therapy to straighten them out. Tummy time!
If you EVER need any advice hit me up on a PM. I'll send you my personal email if you need it.
Above all don't be afraid. Babies can sense fear.
Congrats!!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Congrats!!!
I don't know much about babies, given that I'm not a parent, but that sounds like wise advice
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Awesome news! You're exactly the same age I was when we had our first; also a girl. Like LP says, nothing will prepare you. It's a door that once you pass through you're never the same. It's tougher than heck but you'll love it more than anything. Impossible to explain until you're on the other side with us.
As far as essentials get the Munchkin Arm & Hammer diaper pail. IMO it works way better than Diaper Geenie.
Get a wipe warmer. People say they're useless but when you're changing a kid in the middle of the night that just woke themselves up from being unclean a cold wipe on the bum certainly wakes them up. Increase the odds they'll go back to sleep faster by using a wipe warmer.
Tummy time! Tummy time! Tummy time! Tummy time! They told us the baby has to sleep on her back, which is a good thing to prevent SIDs, but without tummy time they could develop torticolis and you'll be spending a king's ransom and many hours away from work attending physical therapy to straighten them out. Tummy time!
If you EVER need any advice hit me up on a PM. I'll send you my personal email if you need it.
Congrats!!!
I originally thought the wipe warmer was a joke, but now that you put it that way I'm reconsidering. I've never heard about torticolis, so I'll be doing my research and asking the Dr. about it on the next visit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode