Back from hospital - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Back from hospital

I suppose you've been wondering where i've benn, or not. any who, it turns out that when i was feeling "sick" on frifay i was actually feeling the early stages of appendicitis. that is not good. so we went to the doctor on sunday morning (wasn't able to sleep saturday night without panadol) and he sent us straight to emergency at sandringham hospital. after a couple of hours we wated and then waited a couple more hours. i was gassed and had my appendix removed and woke up at 6 o clock on sunday night quite uncomfortable as you could amagine. it still hurts alot to use the abdomen muscles which i have noticed we use quite often. They reckon ill be able to go to school next monday and even then i wont be able to do PE or running or foozeball. So i will be stranded here for a while. not much to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:22 PM

Re: Back from hospital

Sorry to hear about that, tough break. Hope youre up and shredding soon!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:03 PM

Wink Re: Back from hospital

Sorry to hear about your ailment. Hope you get well soon!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys, im even finding it hard to pick up my gtar.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:22 AM

Just got mine out a couple months ago. I was back to work after a week and a half and felt like going back sooner than that but they wouldn't let me. It gets better fast if you keep moving (but not overdoing it). Walking is your best friend for the first week or so, at least it seemed to help me a lot.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:14 AM

Same thing here.
It was last december 11.
Since i'm very huge (120Kg), i've 'spended' 2 months to complete recovering...
And well, it really hurts!
Best for you,
Tubarão.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

lol im still working on standing up straight. apparently appendix was really big compared to the others they had removed. For the guys here who have had appendicitis, did you have an open wound or not, i had an open one. they nurses said in some cases they make 3 really small holes and take it out throught there or something.
just yesterday i started to get out of bed and back into it on my own, geez that was a pain. I wonder how many people on this forum have had this surgery.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:47 AM

Sorry to hear that dude . Get well!

Regards

André

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Get well soon. Never having suffered appendicitis myself I can't exactly relate to you here but any kind of operation is a bitch to go through. Good luck and get well soon.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:13 PM

I haven't "had" the surgery but I have assisted on quite a few laparoscopic appendectomies as a medical student. The laparoscopic procedure entails making a few small holes for the instruments, whereas it sounds like you had an open procedure. The difference being that in your case it will take a little longer to heal. Bear with the discomfort and pain, I know it's tough but try to ambulate, and get out of bed as long as you have the strength - and the balance. Eat whatever slop that they serve you - you need your strength. Don't hesitate to e-mail me personally if you have any questions.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

well thanks, im not sure about the coughing though, i cant bring myself to do it, it hurts way to much, is this to get the anesthetic from my lungs? should i be trying and hurting myself to get it off anyway?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 12:58 AM

Yeah, it hurts like he!! at first. I had the open procedure too. They got me up to walk to the bathroom a few hours after the surgery and after that I was on my own for getting in and out of bed. They were willing to help if I needed it but said things would go better if I did it myself... so I did. I'd be walking the halls and nurses I hadn't met yet would see me and say "I know that walk, you lost your appendix". It was kinda funny. I think the post-operative gas was the most painful part of the whole thing myself. Much worse than the getting in and out of bed. I don't think I've ever been so happy to fart.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:20 AM

Instead of coughing have them give you an incentive spirometer. After having general anesthesia you need to "exercise" the lungs to avoid atelectasis. The spirometer works the lungs like blowing up a balloon. Filling all of those little alveoli with oxygen will help keep them from collapse (aka atelectasis). Rock on. BillV
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

damn, should i ring the hospital and suggest that or something?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 11:27 AM

They gave me one of those spirometers. It doesn't hurt like coughing if you can make yourself use it. I found it quite boring but I used it anyway... 'cause my nurses kept chewing me out if I didn't. I didn't take it home from the hospital with me though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode