Back From Vacation in Kentucky! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Back From Vacation in Kentucky!

I was in KY for an extended Memorial Day holiday. Four of my fishing buds and I drove 600 miles to a friend's house, located on a small farm in Adair County, near Russell Springs. We fished for trout and floated on the Cumberland River, rode ATVs on the numerous trails, blasted a few hundred .22 & .44 rounds, played guitars and told stories on the porch, baled hay (aching back), chased a bull (a sober man would never attempt this), burned a few bonfires, cussed like sailors and drank many beers. I'm glad we brought plenty beer with us from MD. The closest place to buy alcoholic beverages is 2 counties and a 45 minute drive away.

This was my 2nd trip there in as many years to this beautiful part of the country. Everytime I think about it, I want to move there. The area is such a contrast to the hustle and daily grind of the MD / DC way of life. Land is cheap, but the chances of my wife and I finding employment close enough to avoid an hour drive to work is slim. Maybe we'll retire there in 15-20 years.

I know of a few Jemsiters from KY (sniperfrommars1 is in Richmond and trouble311 is in Lexington), are there any others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Re: Back From Vacation in Kentucky!

I have lived in KY my entire life. I was born and raised on a farm in northern KY. I have put up way too many bales of hay and cut/housed more tobacco than I care to remember. I wound up going to college in southwestern KY (Murray State). My first job out of college was in Corbin, KY (southeastern KY). I went trout/walleye/striper fishing several times down there with co-workers. I also got to see 2 moonbows at Cumberland Falls. I moved back to northern KY about 5 years ago. I am about 15 minutes south of Cincinnati or about 75 minutes north of Lexington.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:12 AM

I've only drove through Kentucky. It looked nice, though.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 08:06 PM

Well scenery wise its great. There are good things about living here, but i do wish I was around more people like me. Its crazy how well shredders and bluegrass guitarist get along though. They have more in common than one would think.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

The difference in the cost of land and building a home in rural KY, compared with the suburban area I live in is astounding.

The place we stayed in KY is a 25 acre farm, of which 10 acres are fertile bottom land and the other 15 are wooded hills for hunting and atv riding. My friend Jay, who owns the farm, is a professor at a small college nearby. He paid $70,000 for the land, a nice old log farmhouse built in the year 1800, and a 1600 square ft. modern, ranch style modular home. His property taxes are about $300 per year. The government pays him $500 per year NOT to grow tobacco.

The average price of a 1600 sq. ft. home in Pasadena, on a .25 (1/4) acre lot is about $400,000. The property taxes are about $2250.

Last edited by ScottB; 06-11-2005 at 10:36 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 10:41 PM

Did anyone say you have "PURTY MOUTH" while you where down there? LOL

Last edited by gmeanie; 06-13-2005 at 08:01 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeanie
Did anyone say you have "PURTY TEETH" while you where down there? LOL
That's too funny!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 11:23 PM

Welcome back, ScreamJem.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:49 AM

Souds like you had a great time .

Regards

André

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 02:43 PM

Talking Re: Back From Vacation in Kentucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeanie
Did anyone say you have "PURTY MOUTH" while you where down there? LOL

That only happens in Virginia :>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode