background check for job - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

background check for job

do you guys have any idea how long it usually takes? i was lucky enough to get a few interviews in the last year. it's really rough out there...and needless to say, haven't found anything yet. it's been about 6 weeks since this process began with this job; phone interview, 2 weeks later regular interview, went very well (just like the rest) and they now are doing a background check supposedly. but, at the same time, i have an email saying they are still interviewing. trying to get a job has never been so rough. it's like this crazy obstacle course of interviews and phone calls with emails and more than likely, you will never hear anything from anyone you try to contact. the last interview, about 4 months ago, during the 3rd interview, at another co....went so far as to show me where i would be sitting and who i would report to daily. i got the grand tour and was introduced to most everyone. it was more of a first day orientation rather than an interview. it was in the bag...never heard from them until i called a week later....oh, that was filled! i don't get it and i'm beyond frustrated. hoping to hear something soon, as, sad to say, everything depends on it. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:02 AM

Re: background check for job

I used to work in Human Resources for the company that I've been with for a few years, and I used to actually process Background Checks (among other duties).

Depending on what service they use, and how detailed they're getting into it, they can take anywhere between 24 hours and about four days. It shouldn't take any longer than that. Even in my company, which does complete seven-year criminal, education, and medical sanction background checks, the average is less than two days.

Best of luck to you. It's a tough market out there...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:06 AM

From my experience it usually takes no more than a few days. I guess it depends on what company they use though, and how extensive of a background check they do.
Best of luck!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:17 AM

I agree with what's been said so far, but just posting to add a wrinkle. It takes my daughters about 2 hours to totally clean their bedroom, but it might take a week or more and all sorts of threats to actually get them to put in that time. It could be this place has done it and are sitting on it, or they just figure once they say "background check" they have given themselves 3 weeks to gather a bunch together and submit them at once in bulk.
We'll keep a good thought for you
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think Jim's got it spot on. It might only take a short while to actually perform the background check, but...

If it takes the interviewer a week to ask the HR manager to do the check. the HR manager takes a week to pass the job to the the HR guy, who takes a week to order it from the consultant, who takes a week to get the results from the PD etc, where the guy in charge is on vacation for a week and waits to pass it back to the consultant who is moving house that week then the HR guy passes it back to the manager who's at the global meeting until next tuesday but passes the report to the interviewer when he gets back on Thursday and 6 weeks later they tell you that your background check is fine and now they're going to start the process of taking references

It's a tough scene at the moment, good luck with the search.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
It's a tough scene at the moment
Yeah, you arent kiddin Jono!

Landing a good job these days sometimes seems damn near impossible. The "official" background check shouldn't take long at all but aquiring the job will ultimately depend upon how urgently they need the position filled and sadly enough, how much your being hired can/could/would threaten the job security of those who are in charge of doing the interviewing/hiring.)

It's a dog eat dog world these days. Best of luck Steve and hopefully you can land the job
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:10 AM

With Florida Department of Law Enforcement it took them 3 weeks for me in Dec 2006.

Last week, my prospective employer took only 2-3 days.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:28 PM

My NSA investigation took 4 weeks.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Honestly if you were taken through the office and shown where you would work and then they did a background check and "filled" the position, I think I'd start looking into what is on your background check. You may not have ever committed any crimes or hand any issues, but that doesn't mean some twit somewhere didn't put something on your record instead of some other schmuck. I've heard a lot of this stuff where someone had a DUI once like 5 years ago that was supposed to be expunged and it didn't really happen. I've heard of bankruptcy staining someone's report. The sadest is if you were ever in a motor vehicle accident where someone died (even in your car, when it was 100% not your fault) your record gets flagged with a vehicular homicide.

There are tons of goofy things that could show up on a background check... I think I'd try to get some inside info on what is on your report. Perhaps this previous potential employer will give you the report or tell you who to call to get a copy of it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

i have a feeling they were sitting on it for a few days. last night i emailed the HR lady to check in and ask if there is any other info she needs. short and sweet. i got an email today from her saying the supervisor is out and should be back in the office next week (jono was right.) this is the 2nd time this happened. so here is another week.

she said she will "follow up with him on the status and the next steps" and the background check came back fine. this sounds good but i can't get excited since i don't know how many other people are in the running. what is the status and next steps thing? i would think the status is good if they do a background check unless they do a background check on everyone in the running. maybe there is no one else in the running?! all i can do is wait till next week again. i'm getting neurotic.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Background checks aren't that in depth and should only take a couple days.

Security clearances on the other hand... holy nipples. Nearly 3 YEARS to get mine.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: background check for job

I work in HR and as it was pointed out earlier it should not take more than 5 business days.
more than likely, your prospective employer is buying time to interview other applicants but hopefully, you'll end up getting the call.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

what's up guys. haven't been on here in a month. just layin' low. turns out the background check came back great of course and it only took them 3 weeks! lazy bastards. i didn't get the job however. they decided to give it to someone else after i was told, just review the benefits attachments in this email, sign them, and return with the W4 forms and we'll be ready to go....am i actually getting a job! how great! but wait.... a week later, still nothing. i find out that they hired someone else and didn't even tell me. i'm so fedup, and still unemployed. i can't get interviews and if i do, the jobs get taken away. i have my biz to keep me busy with a little money coming in to help us out, but in a couple months we are done unfortunately. at least i have much time with my son while looking for work. he is 2 months now and i have never been happier.

Steve
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:35 PM

Sorry to hear about the job situation, Steve.

Have you checked out any positions at Aerotek? I just checked and they list 101 job openings for their Chicago clients. http://www.aerotek.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode