Band help! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Talking Band help!

The cover band I'm in is considering adding a 2nd guitarist. Currently it is a 4 piece with the lead singer playing guitar on songs that need it. He does not have the best voice & is not a good guitar player, but he is improving on both all the time. He is dedicated, knows all the music & lyrics required (more than I can say for the bassist). He fits in the band well, we all hang together and we have become close. The drummer is my long-time best friend & the bassist is close to both of us. Moreover, the other 2 members want to try out a singer that doesn't play guitar but has a better voice than our current singer, okay, I'm fine with that. The guitarist they are thinking about is this "new" singers friend. Well here is my dilemma, I have always liked 4 piece bands with the singer playing some guitar when needed or all the time. I like our current singer and I'm willing to wait for him to get better, and he is the most dedicated member of the band (of all 4 of us). I don't like this other guitarist & even if I did, I don't want another guitar player (I like our current line-up, I just want us all to improve-and we all need too). And believe me we all need to improve!!! The bass player is the weakest member. I'm the realist in the band, I know we are not that great, everyone else thinks we are WAY better than we are. So basically last night I quit the band, I wish I wouldn't have completely handled it that way but, not too bad though. I wish I would have talked with them about it more, but they didn't talk too much with me either about this. I'm going to discuss this with them more this week. By-the-way, the singer knows none of this! I'm not playing with this other guitar player, it's either him or me! Sorry, I just need to vent. I'm curious to hear what you people think. I know this isn't that interesting but, maybe some people have been through this and there hasn't been much activity at Jemsite lately!

Last edited by rickcard71; 10-29-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 06:07 PM

Lightbulb Re: Band help!

If I were you, I'd stick with the singer and look for a new bassist & drummer.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Re: Band help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogorgos View Post
If I were you, I'd stick with the singer and look for a new bassist & drummer.
Thanks for the positive outlook, I basically told the drummer that last night when we out at a bar watching\listening to bad '80's wanna-be's. I said you guys play with the new singer and that do*&&& bag guitarist and I will stick with the singer.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 06:38 PM

Sounds like you should be talking this over with the band not us. If you want my advice, I would sleep on it for a few days, and maybe ask the guys to do the same - before changing the lineup. You may find out that what you believe to be true really isn't and there may even be some hidden benefits to adding (or not adding) another member. My point is to sleep on it, and have a conversation with everyone.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
Sounds like you should be talking this over with the band not us. If you want my advice, I would sleep on it for a few days, and maybe ask the guys to do the same - before changing the lineup. You may find out that what you believe to be true really isn't and there may even be some hidden benefits to adding (or not adding) another member. My point is to sleep on it, and have a conversation with everyone.
Yes, I agree, we will talk about it. Just wanted to know what you guys think, that's all! I have my decision and I will not change my mind. I am an opened minded person, however, I don't want another guitarist, not needed. Added benefit=without a doubt, I know it would make me a better player, and add to the band, however I'm not interested, I will get better on my own. I don't like him and we don't need anyone else. He kind of brought the idea up himself as well.

What if someone (guitarist) went to Led Zeppelin and said I want to join your band, they all would have said, thanks, but we are not looking for anyone else, and you are definately not needed!!! Moreover, if Page did want him, he could have left the band and created magic somewhere else.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 11:17 AM

sounds like a situation i have been in a couple times. i would have done what you did. and i would stick with that singer if you like him and if he is dedicated. if you can work with someone and they are cool and dedicated, that is the most important. i would rather have someone who is half the quality of someone really great if the really great person sux for attitude. i don't have to tell you this.

as for the 2 guitar thing, I HATE THAT! i recently had a chance to be in a really good band with exposure and they want a lead / rhythm player since their current rhythm guy can't do lead. i didn't even check them out. i hate being in 2-guitar bands. it's not that i want the spotlight, it's just that i don't see the point. i can play rhythm and switch to lead when needed. And God-forbid someone tries to play harmony leads with you or I try to play with someone else and someone messes up...oh man, talk about CRINGE!!!!

anyway, i think you did the right thing but of course talk to them when the time arises.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 11:28 AM

Yup. this kinda happened to me last month as well, they were a bunch of decient guys but the drummer was mediocre at best, couldnt do DB for the life of him, and when I asked his to try it, he was like "everyone does double bass now, its overdone and is stupid" and I was like"ummm, dude, its not death metal, or metal of anykind without crazy DB blast beats". The other guitarist sucked so bad, I kept explaining to him what hes doing wrong and how you have to stay in key or at least try to, but insited that everything sounded like Korn (you know that chunk chunk weee chunk chunk weee crap). Plus him and the drummer decided it was cool to get ****ed every practace thus leading to nothing being done, plus the singer was in AA so it wasn't cool.

So, the last time we were together I just stopped, said nothing, packed my stuff up and left.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
Sounds like you should be talking this over with the band not us.
+1

Rick, are you sure you arent being a bit selfish here? In the music business, you need to be able to share time with other members of the band. Are you just feeling this way because like....you dont want to share the spotlight with another guitarist?? Personally, I like two guitarists in the band. The music is more full and you can add harmonic lines, etc.

Me and my guitarist trade off on lead time and also do a lot of harmonic lines together. The way our songs are, requires two guitartist, ort the songs wouldn't sound full and be crap.

Maybe you should reconsider and be a little more open to things. Who knows...maybe you'll like the situation better with two guitars ???

Sorry, but it just seems to me like your acting like the kid who didnlt get his way and is taking his toys and going home

Not trying to be an ass Rick....just telling you the way the situation appears from my expereinces and my point of view here

~OPEN MINDEDNESS~ Grasshopper
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 11:43 AM

Why don't you do like I did?

Gather some money and record an album alone?

It's the best way to do things if you want ir YOUR WAY.

No worries, the studio it's all yours :P:P

BLAKKY
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKK:JAKK View Post
Why don't you do like I did?

Gather some money and record an album alone?

It's the best way to do things if you want ir YOUR WAY.

No worries, the studio it's all yours :P:P

BLAKKY

that only works if you know how to play other instuments.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
+1

Rick, are you sure you arent being a bit selfish here? In the music business, you need to be able to share time with other members of the band. Are you just feeling this way because like....you dont wnat to share the spotlight with another guitarist?? Personally, I like two guitarists in the band. The music is more full and you can add harmonic lines, etc.

Me and my guitarist trade off on lead time and also do a lot of harmonic lines together. The way our songs are, requires two guitartist, ort the songs wouldn't sound full and be crap.

Maybe you should reconsider and be a little more open to things. Who knows...maybe you'll like the situation better with two guitars ???

Sorry, but it just seems to me like your acting like the kid who didnlt get his way and is talking his toys and going home

Not trying to be an ass Rick....just telling you the way the situation appears from my expereinces and my point of view here

~OPEN MINDEDNESS~
I couldn't agree more..... It sounds like a "fear" thing to me. Besides, quiting over the possibility that your band may improve.... is a reflection of how "professional" you are. Whatever you do.... don't try to get a job as a "hired" musician. Be it in another band or working in a studio surrounding. You won't make it with that attitude! Look, you're calling this other guitarist a douche bag and you really don't know him. Sorry if this doesn't "fit" what you're looking for, but it's JMHO. If you've quit..... then stick with the original singer..... you're going to need someone on your same skill level. You need to realize music is a business as well as an enjoyment. You haven't even experienced the problems that arise when being on the road with a bunch of people that you think you know, but really don't. Good luck, who knows what might happen. They may become the next "big" thing. Or, it could be you. I'd bet on the band willing to try new things, make changes, and adapt.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
that only works if you know how to play other instuments.
I played guitar, second guitar, bass and programmed the drums. Called a friend to sing.

It's as simple as that.

BLAKKY
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:59 PM

when it comes to any kind of drums, I'm like Forest Gump at a Steven Hawking conference.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 01:15 PM

Talking Re: Band help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
when it comes to any kind of drums, I'm like Forest Gump at a Steven Hawking conference.
The True "Gump syndrome" would make you triumph thus The learning curb isn't so drastic, try EZdrums. (There's another thread on it right now, btw)
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 01:17 PM

well I was going to say "retard" but I didn't want to offend anyone..I looked into that program, but its way too expensive..

Tags
chord progression , death metal , jimmy page , playing guitar , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode