Baseball fever...Catch it - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Red face Baseball fever...Catch it

I know I'm early but I can't wait for the season to start. It's the only sport I watch.

Anyone else out there love baseball as much as I do?

I'm a big time baseball card collector, something I shared with my father and now with my kids.

Who's your favorite player, team, etc...

Got any good baseball stories?

Baseball gets pretty good press around NY and where I'm at in PA, how about the rest of the country (and world)?

My favorite all time player is, Dave Winfield (my son loves Mickey Mantle and wears #7 in Little League)
Pete Rose, Ron Guidry, and Rod Carew are close seconds

Favorite team is the Yankees (Hate the Mets and Red Sox )

And Yes Pete Rose deserves to be in the Hall Of Fame!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:12 AM

Re: Baseball fever...Catch it

Loath the Yankees, respect their accomplishments, but absolutely hate them.

I am a Braves fan all the way, from the days of Dale Murphy, Bob Horner, Rafael Ramirez, Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce Benedict, Chris Chamliss, & Glen Hubbard.

My favorite player of all time is Dale Murphy, childhood hero of sorts.

I went to Yankee stadium 2 years ago and watched the day game of the Yankees vs. Braves. Tie game into the 11th inning and in the bottom of the 11th, Arod knocks a 3 run homer to win the game! Hated to see my Braves lose, but what a great story!! Too bad the Yankee fans were booing him the whole game, hell some even booed when he knocked in the game winning homer, I guess it wasn't long enough for them .

I agree that Pete Rose deserves to be in the hall. Forever banned from stepping on the field again, but in the hall. Alot of the other players with good stats deserve a chance as well. Dale Murphy should be in the hall, Don Mattingly, Andre Dawson, guys like that. Especially with the bogus stats that some of these players today have. Look at Jim Thome, with 507 homers he's a lock for the Hall, but was he better than Andre Dawson, or 3 time MVP 9 Time Gold Glover Dale Murphy, I think not. I just think some of the 80's franchise players should get some love that's all.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Red face Re: Baseball fever...Catch it

Listen man, you can trash talk all day with me about baseball, because it's fun. Also I'm one of those loud mouth Yankee fans, and if you give it you've got to be able to take it. Y'know like Yanks got 2 World Series rings from the Braves...how nice

I'm a 70's/80's baseball lover, I hate interleague play, hate expansion, feel sad that the Expos are the Nationals, hate steroids because of what it did to the game.

I go back with the Yankees to Bucky "F*cking" Dent, Graig Nettles, Catfish Hunter, Reggie Jackson, sweet Lou, Goose...

In the early 80's My Old man and I were watching the All Star game. Bases loaded, Fred Lynn comes up to bat, I ask if anyone had ever hit a grand slam in an All Star game before? He wasn't sure, good question he said. BAM!! Lynn hits a monster home run, as the announcer says that's the first Grand Slam in All Star history. It's a cool story to me... I was real excited about it, like I saw history right there
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
Listen man, you can trash talk all day with me about baseball, because it's fun. Also I'm one of those loud mouth Yankee fans, and if you give it you've got to be able to take it. Y'know like Yanks got 2 World Series rings from the Braves...how nice
Yea yea, I know. And the year we did bring it home was 1995, year after the strike when no one cared. I'll say this though, the Yankees are good, but they have to pay a ton of money to be that good. It has been a beautiful thing to watch the team that has spent the most money in baseball history do jacksh!t in the playoffs the past 7 years .
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

good stuff (except the original Mr May whom is IMHO the worst big-name to disgrace himself, teammates and the pinstripes)

there is no sport like baseball... the history, the stats, the quirky bounces, the NY Yankees

I was in grade-school for the Bucky-dent green monster shot & lite beer "you're fired" commercials (billy & george), the Reggie bars... but in recent years the strike, steriod abuse, bud selig ineptitude and donald fehr's complete belligerence has turned me off big time to the sport which is now a total joke.

As a yankee fan the non-urgency of clueless joe, ineptitude of old George trying to buy and overpay for every Dave Winfield 2k8 version and yes the new MayRod (and malcontents like sheff and co.) have sucked the joy out of even watching some kids w/ energy appear on the yanks (cano, melky, wang, joba, hughes, etc).

The yanks turned a page with the YES network to which they have never recovered. They prioritize "gate revenue" and "japanese tv ratings" (payrod and matsui) and "network cut from comcast" and a new stadium over signing gutty baseball players with heart who took them out of their 20 year drought (Paul Oneil, etc. etc.).

Maybe passing the torch to Hank will rekindle an excellence in the Bronx that has waned since 2001 when choking in AZ....glen
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 PM

I don't watch baseball until the Devils are mathematically or otherwise elimated from winning The Cup
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:21 PM

Wink Re: Baseball fever...Catch it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I don't watch baseball until the Devils are mathematically or otherwise elimated from winning The Cup
That usually happens fairly early, doesn't it? Kidding! I don't mind the Devils now that Claude Lemieux isn't around anymore. I'd root for them before the Rangers anyday (the yankees of the NHL).
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Yankees for me

Jeter and A-rod

O'Neill & Williams next

What about favorite baseball movies?

1-Major League
2-Field Of Dreams
3-The Rookie
4-61
5-The Babe
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
good stuff (except the original Mr May whom is IMHO the worst big-name to disgrace himself, teammates and the pinstripes)
Worse than Barry Bonds?
Or Jose Canseco?
Or Albert Belle?
Or A rod?
Or Manny?
Cecil Fielder cried like a girl after the 96 season.
Gossage called for Martins firing then signed elsewhere
You think he was that bad?
Come on not that bad...really?

That whole 81 team blew. Randolph had the most home runs that series. Winfield came from San Diego to the Bronx zoo first years are tough...
Yanks had terrible pitching from then on
Gotta give some love to the man who tossed Mike Heath off him like a towell.
He killed a bird for the Yankees for Gods sake.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 PM
site founder 0% owner

there were worse, but not yankees. clueless george should never have signed canseco off waivers out of panic/fear (because he owned petite).

can't blame goose for leaving... everyone loved him. finally in the hall where he blongs.

winfield was the anti-reggie (and even worse the anti-munson). overpaid, overhyped, can't handle the pressure... total choke artist. gold glove stat-padder who makes an error in important spots. just as arod is the anti-jeter in every way. where is that puke smiley when you need it

but that's the great thing about being a Yankee fan, our worst mistake of a ball-player is some lame other teams hall-of-famer god... glen

ps - chris chambliss had a great middle-of-his-career as a yankee (before being subjected to ATL)
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

The really nice thing is this year I think the Yanks might do it.
Young pitchers got some expeience...
Outfield is solid
Arod settling in (you are right in your anti Jeter remark)
Although Arod was mentored by Pinella and Jeter had the more even keeled Torre. I don't know how much that had to do with it

Jeter by far is the new Dimaggio plus (the plus is for a more respectful attitude in general)

What do you think of Torre in Dodger blue?

I agree that Hank might bring about a renaissance of Yankee superiority
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
site founder 0% owner

Torre is in a good place for him... he needs the spotlight and he'll get it and the Dodgers baseball culture is so bad joe will handle the press well and make fans happy even if they won 2 more games.

the only reason i think the yanks can do it is because they're gonna be picked to miss the playoffs and have a chip on their shoulder. the young kids see not being stuck behind some old guy (ie. melky not playing for bernie, young pitchers in AAA for 5-inning-mussina, etc.) and having a coach who actually knows something about strategy and baseball. they'd need luck and health.

but i don't see it as our young arms will hit a wall in Aug and we have no middle relief (unless they put mussina in the pen and he can be effective). matsui/damon/giambi will be hurt straining the OF/DH. next year is more probably (i consider this a rebuilding year to be honest).

i also like hank's demeanor in that he listens to the baseball people, makes the tough calls (firing joe), admits mistakes (the way he called out joe not being respectful enough) and not splooging over every johan santana that hits the market.

george got fleeced time and time again with trades (from teams who would send all-stars like shilling to yankee competitors for marginal prospects.) coupled with his free-agency dabbling (sheff, RJ, hideki arabu, giambi, etc.) which was frustrating to fans... glen
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Sheffield's another big crybaby.

I actually like Giambi and feel sorry for him (I mean as sorry as one can feel for a 20 million dollar guy ) I think he's a lot better than they give him credit for. That being said I loved Tino.

I think the young pitchers will be alright because there's enough of them

The outfield needs to start getting younger over the next year or two (or a free agent I'm okay with that)

As far as movies go

1. Field Of Dreams..........\
2. Bull Durham.................> AKA The Costner Trilogy
3. A Perfect Game........../
4. The Rookie
5. Hardball
6. Bad News Bears (Both versions)
7. The Sandlot
8. Eight Men Out
9. Pride Of The Yankees
10. A League Of Their Own
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:42 PM

I'd rather watch a PBS telethon than todays MLB.

Baseball as I knew and loved it, died in the '70s.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:12 PM

Yanks lost it when Zimmer left/got fired. he was the magic key

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode