In baseball history, is this even possible? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

In baseball history, is this even possible?

For Ichiro and ten consecutive seasons with 200+ hits, and in there the most in any single season, and rookie of the year, that's already unattainable by most accounts. Had anybody said any hitter from Japan, or elsewhere would do this I would ask what he is smoking!

But could a guy who hit a respectable 1,278 hits in professional baseball in short order in Japan then come to America and reach 3,000 hits here before he is too old? Neither number by itself makes you the best of all time, but both together put you in a category that only Pete Rose can join and be put in an all around productivity level only Willie Mays has enjoyed.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Re: In baseball history, is this even possible?

I couldn't imagine watching 1,278 hits.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 04:38 PM

The combined total is only a few more hits than Pete Rose's record, so why wouldn't it be possible? That said, he needs 400 or so more hits. Ichiro is 39 years old and is currently hitting .200, so I wouldn't place my bets just yet.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 PM

Reviews: 4

Ichiro is awesome!!! I am the proud owner of a 1 of 20 card from I think '04... That was a really lucky day for me, and nobody can even give me a price for it... I'll be buried with that card, and Ichiro is a beast!!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stone View Post
The combined total is only a few more hits than Pete Rose's record, so why wouldn't it be possible? That said, he needs 400 or so more hits. Ichiro is 39 years old and is currently hitting .200, so I wouldn't place my bets just yet.
I thought like Wilt Chamberlin's 100 points in a basketball game, getting 4,000 pro hits in baseball is just something that happens once in the universe. Ichiro is way to old to reach 4,000 but with his late start in US pro league stuff, he will hit 3,000 but probably limp there and get in unnoticed since he split his career in two countries. Looking at the new high percentage hitters today, and there are a lot of those moneyball types, nobody among that crew could even string two seasons with a 200+ hit season.

Ichiro is one of the great hitters but had he hit 3,000 with all 200+ hit seasons, let's say in just over 13 seasons, then people would be calling him the greatest of all time. But with fielding, a World Series win, and home run capability, the greatest for average player is Willie Mays and that will never be achieved. Ichiro would have to get ring or at least WS and postseason production like a Bonds, retire at 3,500 hits, and look like a kid into well into his 40s to be considered among Cobb, Mays, and Ruth.

At least for my generation of players I have watched since Mays, Ichiro is the best to ever have picked up a bat.

As for pitching, the most wicked rotation were the '90s Atlanta Braves and I doubt I will ever see that type of three Cy Young pitcher teams in my life. If Cain lives up to salary and gets that Cy Young people say he has the capability of doing, and Zito (2012-13 16 win streak, also a part of A's great streak many years ago and Cy Young winner) and Lincecum (back to back Cy Youngs, 2010 reliable postseason ace, one-two punch with Zito to take out Verlander and Tigers in 2012 WS game 1) help the team achieve a third WS victory or NL pennant, then I would put them in the same viciousness category as the 1990's Atlanta Braves. With so many great players getting traded off to highest bidder, it's just not possible to get a Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux pitching a team into such crazy numbers. With rich teams like the Yankees, it pretty much rules out another 90's Atlanta rotation.

In football, California Bay Area product Tom Brady can play into early 40s too (crossing fingers for staying healthy) and if the planets line up right, will get either record 6th Super Bowl appearance, or even 4th and 5th Super Bowl rings which would put him in a similarly untouchable position for the record books.

And out here in California way back when, we already witnessed the greatest streak and domination in all of sports which was Coach Wooden's long run with the amazing UCLA basketball team. What made it even more unbelievable was that he didn't have the benefit of long runs with any single top player and had to reinvent the team every year when seniors graduated or were drafted.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-25-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode