BCS college football - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

BCS college football

Who do you root for?

Alabama Crimson Tide ( http://www.ua.edu/athletics.html ) beat #1 ranked Miss State yesterday which means with both now at 9-1, that undeniably puts Alabama in top four and in contention for national title. Rankings come out soon so they could be anywhere in that top four.

Alabama may now be #1 or Florida State who is unbeaten but in easier college conference. Either way, the Crimson Tide's season is still alive for final bowl game. Rankings are based on conference, record, and difficulty of schedule among other factors. Sometimes the team with the best record wins it all but sometimes the #2 ranked team carries off the trophy in final game. LSU's former coach Nick Saban is now Alabama's skipper and both schools have won the big bowl with him before and after his stint with Miami Dolphins.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=10172026

I am not from Alabama nor did I go to school there but had a friend interest me in college ball which I had not followed that much before. I have never been to Alabama and the closest I have been to the south is Virginia. My friend said the reason people are so into that school in that state is that unlike a Texas or New York, or California, the entire state of Alabama has no NBA team, no MLB team, and no NFL team. Sports are still popular like in bigger states so with little to go on, people often gravitate to Alabama or arch Alabama resident rival, Auburn University. My undergrad schools in California are not top NCAA division and grad school has no team. Whole town where I am from has just one recently accredited school with no sports to speak of and several satellite schools (Golden Gate University, Middlebury College, and Chapman University) so most locals just pick random college team like me but Michigan Wolverines or Georgia Bulldogs clothing seems popular, just because. At least Alabama has the famous Forrest Gump as a former player!

Last edited by 63Blazer; 11-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: BCS college football

Tide has to go against an upstart OSU who may be on the rise enough to take Alabama out of the semis.

If Alabama gets through, crossing fingers, then it's on to the BCS Finals to either undefeated Florida State University or red hot University of Oregon. No season is a given even though people saw this year as Alabama's to lose. Just like pro football, where people thought the 49ers or Seahawks would take the NFC West, it's all topsy turvy with the Arizona Cardinals in the top of the division. Where the pros may get longevity with key players, college is four years and out so I am hoping Alabama gets their 4th title because this year could be their last great hope.

As for Heisman, other schools have better candidates in individual play.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 04:38 PM

I am a gators fan but since they sucked this year I will root for the SEC.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:28 PM

I'm debating heading to New Orleans for the Bama /Ohio game.

Nothing like a great few days in the French Quarter.
NOLA's , Beignets, French Market, Old Time Grocery.

Man I miss NO.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:35 PM

TCU got a raw deal there... but you could see it coming. They had to jump 6th ranked Ohio State over TCU to get them into the playoffs. They want perennial powerhouse teams with huge loyal followings ($$) to be in the playoffs... not TCU or Baylor. In light of that I hope Oregon humiliates Florida State and then Alabama.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
TCU got a raw deal there... but you could see it coming. They had to jump 6th ranked Ohio State over TCU to get them into the playoffs. They want perennial powerhouse teams with huge loyal followings ($$) to be in the playoffs... not TCU or Baylor. In light of that I hope Oregon humiliates Florida State and then Alabama.
I have no doubt that Oregon will probably beat Florida State, maybe even demolish them, but Oregon and Alabama should be evenly matched. Based on records, points/yards, and strength of schedule, I don't see one team completely dominating the other. Anybody who thinks Oregon has it easy, or Alamaba has it easy, will probably be surprised.

It's most likely that all the games will be within one scoring drive of each other.

At this level, be ready to see defenses play well and keep all the games within more pro football type of ranges and not college mid-season blowouts. I don't see any teams getting over 40 points or blowing out their opponents by four touchdowns. If it's Oregon and Alabama, I see the the winner with 21 points to the loser getting 14 to 20 points. A 21-20 game would be exciting, especially if it's decided on the very last drive either by scoring or by stopping a team from scoring.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I have no doubt that Oregon will probably beat Florida State, maybe even demolish them, but Oregon and Alabama should be evenly matched. Based on records, points/yards, and strength of schedule, I don't see one team completely dominating the other. Anybody who thinks Oregon has it easy, or Alamaba has it easy, will probably be surprised.

It's most likely that all the games will be within one scoring drive of each other.

At this level, be ready to see defenses play well and keep all the games within more pro football type of ranges and not college mid-season blowouts. I don't see any teams getting over 40 points or blowing out their opponents by four touchdowns. If it's Oregon and Alabama, I see the the winner with 21 points to the loser getting 14 to 20 points. A 21-20 game would be exciting, especially if it's decided on the very last drive either by scoring or by stopping a team from scoring.
I totally agree with you... they will probably be close games. I would LIKE to see Oregon demolish them! It would make my day if they can get by Florida St. and then beat Alabama 50-0. I'm sure you know how the West Coast teams get no respect. It's all bout the SEC, Big 10, ACC, Big East, etc... Same in college basketball, and I get so tired of announcers fawning over any team from the East Coast... ala Dick Vitale.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I totally agree with you... they will probably be close games. I would LIKE to see Oregon demolish them! It would make my day if they can get by Florida St. and then beat Alabama 50-0. I'm sure you know how the West Coast teams get no respect. It's all bout the SEC, Big 10, ACC, Big East, etc... Same in college basketball, and I get so tired of announcers fawning over any team from the East Coast... ala Dick Vitale.
West coast should get more respect and it's odd that I am from west coast but like Alabama, but in other sports I like Warriors, Giants, 49ers, etc. My own college in first two years wasn't division 1 and weren't very good, and the school I finished up at was a business school without NCAA sports but helped to start a for profit hockey team, later to become San Jose Sharks.

So for that the school has Sharks fans. The team is more tied into its investors though so no NCAA rules were broken if that were even to apply but does oddly fit the school's mostly business focus nicely (business, accounting, taxation, law). If you're going to get involved in sports, then by all means make a ton of money since it's not a sport first, but a business first. It's been said in the planning of the team mascot, the logo, uniform colors, and future sales of such items was hugely important unlike the focus of other teams in that and other sports. The Sharks logo/colors are second worldwide only to the NY Yankees in sales. The black was known to be most popular with men and teal appealed to women. The shark is a universally menacing mascot not unlike the bulldog or bear. It's a very appealing overall look that's not haphazardly put together by accident. I see people sporting Sharks gear and more often than not they aren't hockey fans but got the shirt/cap based on a impulse buy.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-18-2014 at 07:03 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:25 PM

War Eagle!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode