Being forced to watch American Idol tonight...UGGHHH - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Being forced to watch American Idol tonight...UGGHHH

So a couple weeks ago I agreed to watch the 8 year old niece tonight so my brother and his wife can go out for their anniversary. Come to find out, she is a huge American Idol fan. My sister in law says that the TeVo option won't work and I'll have a cranky niece on my hands if I try it. To be honest, I don't have much patience for kids in general, let alone ones that are cranky. So, Ill grin and bear it for the hour or two it's on. Am I the only one that finds the show so corny and bubble gum like that I get an embarrassed feeling when I see parts of it while flipping through the channels? Apparently this is the results show where the remaining contestants all come out in the beginning and sing some brokeback cabaret type thing each week. I hate the show. I hate the fact that a couple of these kids will make it big without really paying their dues....not having to play in smoke filled bars for years before finally being in the right place at the right time and getting discovered. I hate how the public worships them. I really hate how each year they promote they have "rockers" that are actually about as much rock n' roll as the Backstreet Boys. Some people think it's just a jealousy issue. Well, I admit I am jealous of them making it. However, I would never want to gain my fame on a reality tv show and have to play that kind of music. Also, now at age 32, I've accepted I missed my ride. I did the "vote for Sanjaya" thing in hopes of him winning and taking all credibility from the show to kill it. Like Howard Stern I think they lied about the vote count to get rid of him before it became a comedy show versus a singing competition. Ok, I'm done venting and thanks for reading my rant LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 PM

Re: Being forced to watch American Idol tonight...UGGHHH

You are not alone. I think the whole thing is complete vomit, and i don't even have to watch it to know that!!
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 PM

I heard that Def Leppard are going to make an appearance on that show. I don't know for sure though because I don't watch it either.
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchBox View Post
I hate the show. I hate the fact that a couple of these kids will make it big without really paying their dues....not having to play in smoke filled bars for years before finally being in the right place at the right time and getting discovered.
I'd never really thought about it like that before. I hate that show with every fiber of my being. What I don't get, is that I am sure they have to audition to be on the show. Granted I never watch it. I don't even watch t.v. anymore. You cannot tell me that they don't see how bad some of those contestants are before they get them on there. And then Simon tears apart their character and appearance torn to shreds. I don't respect that man. Hopefully no on ever goes and hangs themselves after his diatribes.

You are a stellar uncle for doing this for your niece.

What I really hate about the show is like you said the bubblegum factor. I hate performers like The Backstreet Boys and Brittany Spears where they take some kids, put them in cute little costumes, and sell their Barbie dolls and whatever other marketing crap they can come up with, and tour them in shopping malls across the country starting out. Debbie Gibson was a perfect example. Where the hell is she now? I can't handle hearing "I Think We're Alone Now" one more time!!! I'm giving away my age here. Those kids are nothing but PUPPETS.

Ok, somebody is not going to like that I said all this, but it is my opinion.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Reviews: 18

Well, I'd say you got 3 possible solutions to your dilemma and they all should be simple.

1. There has got to be another tv somewhere in the house (maybe your brother and your sister in law have a tv in their bedroom). Tell your niece to go in there and watch the show. Rent the Satriani Live DVD and watch it on the other tv.

2. Option #2 would be for you to make your niece watch the Satriani Live dvd.

3. Option #3 would be for you to disconnect the coax from the cable box and tell her the cable is out. Fake a phone call to the cable company and tell her they're going to work on it. She's an 8 year old, how hard could it be to make her believe a little white lie?

Personally, I can't stand that show, there's no talent in it whatsoever (can you tell I don't like pop music?). I do like Simon though. He's the kind of person that will tell you how it is and won't give two shytes if you like it or not. I remember one of those kids got kicked out of the show before because he made paula scream "papi". Hey, if he got his willie wet, more power to him.

Jimmy
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:29 PM

I love the show in the first few weeks when they are showing the absolutely awful contestants Those shows are usually very funny. When it gets late in the game, like it is now, it just isn't as compelling. For the last few weeks everyone has known who was going to win, so there's no point in watching it (unless you liked watching Sanjaya butcher stuff, which was kinda funny too). Sanjaya was absolutely terrible from what little I saw, but I could see watching it just to see him, no question. His version of the Bonny Rait song was very, very funny. He was beyond horrible, and it was that sort of amateur TV ratings goldmine they can only hope for.
And plenty of people have made it big without paying any dues, so that bit doesn't really bother me. Dues are to hone your chops, after all.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:14 PM

it's better than having to watch dancing with the stars...
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
+111111!!!!!!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:49 PM

Well you're not alone We are ALL FORCED to watch it or at least be constantly reminded-ededed of it! It's on the local news, world news, billboards, various talk shows, everty internet provider, etc

I don't get it at all!!. I really don't. What is the bid deal, lol??

It's TERRIBLE! Oh Simon kissed Paula (PUKE) Oh and then there are the contestants

I think people need to sit down and seriously re-condiser what their true priorities are in life

and lastly ~PUKE~

Have I made it clear where I stand on the issue???
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

It's also no secret that musicians that have made it big without American Idol typically don't respect the Idol winners. I know that there are exceptions, but most of them don't feel they paid there dues either and laugh at the hideous "we own your ass now for 2 years" contract which is known as by far the worst in the business. A perfect example was Faith Hill's response to that chick winning that country music award last year that was all over tv. Also, think about this...MOST people watching tonight (including the contestants on the show!) probably don't know who Steve Vai or Joe Satriani are and those two guys have more talent in their hands than all the poeple that have been on American Idol put together and that frustrates the hell out of me! I still find it odd that a lot of people in the general public haven't heard of them. I've been back & forth from one side of the country to the other many times. While in flight, I've put a Vai, Satch, or G3 DVD into my laptop and the passenger sitting beside me on the plane asks me "Who is that?". So, I tell them and let them listen in and they become blown away LOL. I think it's fair to say that those guys are Gods to a lot of us in this forum and yet we forget just how much of the public blindly think of The Edge and John Mayer as the best guitar players in the world.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchBox View Post
It's also no secret that musicians that have made it big without American Idol typically don't respect the Idol winners. I know that there are exceptions, but most of them don't feel they paid there dues either and laugh at the hideous "we own your ass now for 2 years" contract which is known as by far the worst in the business. A perfect example was Faith Hill's response to that chick winning that country music award last year that was all over tv. Also, think about this...MOST people watching tonight (including the contestants on the show!) probably don't know who Steve Vai or Joe Satriani are and those two guys have more talent in their hands than all the poeple that have been on American Idol put together and that frustrates the hell out of me! I still find it odd that a lot of people in the general public haven't heard of them. I've been back & forth from one side of the country to the other many times. While in flight, I've put a Vai, Satch, or G3 DVD into my laptop and the passenger sitting beside me on the plane asks me "Who is that?". So, I tell them and let them listen in and they become blown away LOL. I think it's fair to say that those guys are Gods to a lot of us in this forum and yet we forget just how much of the public blindly think of The Edge and John Mayer as the best guitar players in the world.

Well, we may not be able to get rid of American Idol for the forseeable future but at least we have people like you who are willing to convert people to real music one plane flight at a time!
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
You heard Yoko Uno got kicked off, right?
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:11 PM

American Idol creates an even worse name for Americans...
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
American Idol creates an even worse name for Americans...
DON'T go there
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Well, I'd say you got 3 possible solutions to your dilemma and they all should be simple.

1. There has got to be another tv somewhere in the house (maybe your brother and your sister in law have a tv in their bedroom). Tell your niece to go in there and watch the show. Rent the Satriani Live DVD and watch it on the other tv.

2. Option #2 would be for you to make your niece watch the Satriani Live dvd.

3. Option #3 would be for you to disconnect the coax from the cable box and tell her the cable is out. Fake a phone call to the cable company and tell her they're going to work on it. She's an 8 year old, how hard could it be to make her believe a little white lie?

4. Slap the kid and lock her in a closet until the show is over.

Tags
def leppard , guitar players , jeff beck , joe satriani , john mayer , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode