Best, Cheap Digital Camera - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Best, Cheap Digital Camera

I'm looking around for a good digital camera around $150 used on 'bay. The ones I've found are the Canon A85 and Canon SD110. Whats the 'best' digital camera out there in my price range?

-Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:05 PM

Re: Best, Cheap Digital Camera

The canon "A" series cameras are very good for that price range. You wont find anything better for the price.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

canon digital elph (SDxxx) would be my first and only choice 3 megapixels or higher is sufficient... glen
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
canon digital elph (SDxxx) would be my first and only choice 3 megapixels or higher is sufficient... glen
Now, Is this camera only better because it is smaller? Or is the picture quality actually better?

-Andrew
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:23 PM

I wanna camera aswell.Are there any samples of cameras of 4 MP's?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

size is just a bonus. stainless steel sturdy body, best sensors made (Canon), great optics, fast-fast-fast, excellent overall quality, great flash/exposure, full manual mode, 30 seconds 640x480 avi's, etc.

with or without a zoom is irrelevant imho... i don't think you could talk me out of a digital elph and mine has caused my dSLR (10D) to get lonely 'cause it's that good (for what it is).

i don't like the bulkier point-shoot cams as they're clumsy and bloated compared to the digital elph or true dSLR. good luck... glen
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 09:14 AM

I've owned a couple of Elphs S100 2.0MP and currently the SD500 7.1MP
Very happy with both of them.

Be sure to get one with rechargable batteries. The ones that use regular AAs eat them up like crazy.

~K
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 09:20 AM
site founder 0% owner

that is a good point. the elphs is VERY battery friendly too. They have a nice (compact but powerful) rechargable battery and you can get replacments for like $10 on the web. Any camera that uses AA batteries should be avoided like the plague... glen
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

What about the Sony W1? Are the Canon S series just as good as the SD?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

avoid sony. slow, bad sensor design, overpriced, incompatible memory stick, yuk.

S are larger... they're good but too bulky imho (like most digital cameras then you really start to overpay for stuff you don't need). you don't need an 8megapixel point/shoot camera.

"SD" monikor came from their acceptance of "SD" cards which are alot smaller than CF cards.

go to a local superstore and try to hold them in your hand...glen
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:11 PM

SD memory is faster, too. Cheap as cheap can be...512MB is going for about $20-25 right now.

The nice thing about higher MP is that you can crop more out of a pic and still keep good enough resolution to get a good print.

The Canons have a 'Macro' button that lets you take super-up-close pics with amazing clarity. I took this one in the Puerto Rican Rainforest last week.
(Keep in mind this is shrunken down)
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:15 PM
site founder 0% owner

yes, higher MP is good to a point but if the sensor is too small (ie. sony) the increased MP will add distortion and is just a marketing gimmick. the JPGs would also be too large to handle conveniently then you'd want a RAW dSLR format.

in short a 3MP SD110 can take better pictures than Sony cameras, some of which might have 2-3x the MP so the point is not to put any stock into it. Under 3MP and you're probalby buying an old camera with no margin of error hence my orignal post... glen
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 09:21 PM

anything you get today will be good...the way technology is advancing! i would recommend anything canon. ultimately it is up to you but it is smarter to go with a company who makes the lens.....do you want a canon lens or a sony lens??

i have not used simple snapshot types in awhile but i started out with olympus back in 1999 and went to canon right after, with their powershot series...great cameras!

currently i'm using a digital rebel DSLR 300D and the Canon 20D DSLR.

good luck and have fun!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:22 AM

Check Kodaks! They are realy great!

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 01:06 PM

I'll put in another plug for the Digital Elph. Mine's pretty old but the picture quality is good enough and the size is really nice. One of those things that you never think about when you're buying a camera: the Canon recharger is tiny. It's a small brick with a fold out power plug.

Recently, I got another camera with higher resolution. It's the same size as the Elph, but when I go on trips, I always end up taking the Elph because the recharging kit for the other camera is so big.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode