Best deal on PS3? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Best deal on PS3?

I'm finally breaking down and looking to buy a PS3. I don't need a large HD or wireless connectivity, so I'm looking for the 20GB model.

I've never seen much of a sale on them (or any) and I am told not to expect one... but I thought I would do as much research as possible and make sure I'm not missing out on something.

Is there any reliable place to buy one for under $499.99? (taking into account that shipping won't bump you right back up there, or even higher)

EDIT - Forget online even... do they ever even go on sale in stores? Should I even worry about watching ads?

Last edited by jay ratkowski; 03-03-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 04:32 AM

Re: Best deal on PS3?

I haven't heard of a single sale yet myself. Probably won't happen until Christmas if even then.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 06:40 AM

Yeah, I would have said Xmas, or maybe the Summer time for a sale on them.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 06:56 AM

Buy a 360, a Wii and a laser-modded PS2 (so the laser doesn't burn out) for less than one of those bloated pieces of crap
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Buy a 360, a Wii and a laser-modded PS2 (so the laser doesn't burn out) for less than one of those bloated pieces of crap
You took the words right out of my mouth.

360's rule. I couldn't part with mine.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Hmm, good idea, but I don't want an XBox, Wii or PS2... so, I think I'll just get a PS3.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 09:49 AM

haha, good on you jay. I've said 100 times I think ps3 is going to win the hardware war, so if I was buying, I'd buy it. And I think Blu Ray is going to win its respective war too.

But I could be wrong
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 09:53 AM

You may want to wait until later this year when the price not only drops, but you can actually buy games designed for the PS3.

Personally I think they are nowhere near worth $499.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
You may want to wait until later this year when the price not only drops, but you can actually buy games designed for the PS3.

Personally I think they are nowhere near worth $499.
I think it's worth it right now for Madden (2K7 and eventually 2K, MLB2K7, F1 and renewed personal favorites like Virtua Fighter and Tekken.

Either way, I'm not here to justify WHY I'm buying a PS3. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only idiot out there who didn't know about a better deal on one.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 10:26 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

the best "deal" on a PS3 is waiting until next summer and when there might be several exclusive, good games for it. all those games you posted Jay are on 360 now or summer.

also they'll be making some hardware (and software) mods to do the most basic things like output 720p native (if a game isn't so encoded) and upscaling DVD beyond 480p ...glen
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:57 PM

Reviews: 1

Dont waste any money on the PS3. There have been so many bad things happening. Like it burning up like super fast. and how is a game fun without rumble. And they could have taken out the motion sensing and traded for the rumble.
Sony says that the only reason they took out the rumble is because they said it was "so last generation". Bunch of crap if u ask me.

Look at the Wii controller: Rumble, wireless, motion sensing, and a freaking speaker built in.

Just because the PS3 has better graphics doesnt prove the gameplay to be better. Ok, maybe resistance fall of man was good, but its a one hit wonder dude. that probably will be the only good game for the ps3.

Cmon. nothing but bad things come from the PS3. Buy a wii and have some fun. Its more about the gameplay then the graphics.

If u want good graphics, then buy a good computer. Computers are more reliable than the PS3. and they arent trying to shove features in it like crazy.
A computer has internet. can play dvds. plays games. and u can download music and other things.

If ur going to buy the PS3 because of its so not awesome graphics. then buy a 360. its hell of a lot better. and better games coming out for it. And a lot smaller and a cool white color like a Jem. and a green led for the on switch like the 20th jem.

And for the record. PS3 is losing the video game war. Wii and 360 are winning.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:00 PM

499 USD for PS3??? How the freaking hell can they sell for that price over there when we here in Europe have to pay something like 600 €???

Regards

André

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinAzian12 View Post
Dont waste any money on the PS3. There have been so many bad things happening. Like it burning up like super fast.
Oh? Got a link? I know for a fact that tons of 360 guys were having heat issues, but I haven't heard any with the PS3. Both systems need to be ventilated, just like any type of computer.

Quote:
and how is a game fun without rumble. And they could have taken out the motion sensing and traded for the rumble.
Sony says that the only reason they took out the rumble is because they said it was "so last generation". Bunch of crap if u ask me.
Man, you're just full of up to date information aren't you?

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/03/02/...-to-ps3-right/

Quote:
Look at the Wii controller: Rumble, wireless, motion sensing, and a freaking speaker built in.
And this makes it automatically better? A built-in speaker?

Quote:
Just because the PS3 has better graphics doesnt prove the gameplay to be better. Ok, maybe resistance fall of man was good, but its a one hit wonder dude. that probably will be the only good game for the ps3.
Final Fantasy XIII, Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5.... Yeah, talk about a one-hit-wonder console....

Quote:
Cmon. nothing but bad things come from the PS3. Buy a wii and have some fun. Its more about the gameplay then the graphics.
Bad things? Care to back up that statement?

Quote:
If u want good graphics, then buy a good computer. Computers are more reliable than the PS3. and they arent trying to shove features in it like crazy.
A computer has internet. can play dvds. plays games. and u can download music and other things.
Yeah, because we all know today's computers come with Blu-Ray drives....

Quote:
If ur going to buy the PS3 because of its so not awesome graphics. then buy a 360. its hell of a lot better. and better games coming out for it. And a lot smaller and a cool white color like a Jem. and a green led for the on switch like the 20th jem.

360s have had just as many problems as the PS3, if not more. Nice job trying to back up your statement by comparing it to a JEM....

Quote:
And for the record. PS3 is losing the video game war. Wii and 360 are winning.
Oh? That so? The PS3 is doing better at launch than the 360 when it comes ot sales figures.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/ps3-lau...nch-226742.php

You can like any console; I don't mind. Just don't spout out idiotic information when you obviously don't know anything about the topic at hand....
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:30 PM

Reviews: 6

You know if you really need a doorstop that badly you can make one out of a rock.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:11 PM

I say wait on it. The PS3 has the potential to be an extraordinary system, but with the limited amount of games available, you'd might as well just buy it when it goes on sale. For the price of a PS3, you can build a better computer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode