Best Music Stores in Philadelphia, PA? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Best Music Stores in Philadelphia, PA?

Anybody got any recommendations for music stores in Philadelphia or the surrounding area? Something besides GC and SA. Something with a good used selection, and Ibanez friendly!

BTW, the Philly Hard Rock has a Steve Vai Jem and a Paul Gilbert PGM. They also have a Dweezil Zappa strat and a Chris Impellitteri strat. Nice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM

Re: Best Music Stores in Philadelphia, PA?

hey check out swarthmore music.also the GC in plymouth meeting is damn cool. swarthmore is a MUST go.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 05:32 PM

If you're looking for knowledgeable people to ask questions, and are looking for Ibanez instruments, the Guitar Center on Chemical Road in Plymouth Meeting, PA is one of the best.

George's Music in Lansdale, PA is another place with helpful personnel.

A hidden gem among the music stores is Medley Music in Bryn Mawr (BTW, the Algar Ferrari-Maserati dealer is just down the road if you want to take a look). Medley Music doesn't have many Ibanez instruments, if any, but it does have a locked room in the back where they have high end, vintage instruments. One time I saw one of Yngwie's stratocasters there. One that he actually owned about 15 years ago. And some more unusual instruments as well. The Yngwie strat is gone, but other interesting things show up there once in a while.

Eighth Street Music is another pick, if you're in downtown Philadelphia. don't go any further north of there, though. North Philly is a sketchy neighborhood.

The very best store ever was Zapf's Music in Philadelphia. Again, this was in a borderline sketchy neighborhood. I believe Zapf's is now in Pennsauken, NJ.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Do a search for (music go round) there has to be one in PA...or two.
http://www.musicgoround.com/
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Yep. Wilkes-Barre and Monroeville. I checked their inventories online and didn't see anything I needed. That's usually my first lookup when I'm on a trip! I've found some good stuff at MGR before.

BTW, I looked up Zapf's on Google. I found an address of 5429 N 5th Street, Philly.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_r152 View Post
If you're looking for knowledgeable people to ask questions, and are looking for Ibanez instruments, the Guitar Center on Chemical Road in Plymouth Meeting, PA is one of the best.

George's Music in Lansdale, PA is another place with helpful personnel.

A hidden gem among the music stores is Medley Music in Bryn Mawr (BTW, the Algar Ferrari-Maserati dealer is just down the road if you want to take a look). Medley Music doesn't have many Ibanez instruments, if any, but it does have a locked room in the back where they have high end, vintage instruments. One time I saw one of Yngwie's stratocasters there. One that he actually owned about 15 years ago. And some more unusual instruments as well. The Yngwie strat is gone, but other interesting things show up there once in a while.

Eighth Street Music is another pick, if you're in downtown Philadelphia. don't go any further north of there, though. North Philly is a sketchy neighborhood.

The very best store ever was Zapf's Music in Philadelphia. Again, this was in a borderline sketchy neighborhood. I believe Zapf's is now in Pennsauken, NJ.
I forgot about medley music. that place rocks!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Ok. This has not been a good outing. Medley Music closed 15 minutes before I got there (got there as quick as I could after work, but a wreck on the pike had things backed way up). So I headed for the GC on chemical road. In fact, that's where I am as I type this.

They do have a ton of new ibz stuff, but nothing high end. Lots of MIK and MII. As for knowledgeable staff, I dunno. They've got an RG470 lableled as an RG520 for $449 and a repainted RG550 with a busted pickguard for $499.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

I also went to a Sam Ash over by the King of Prussia Mall. They had several Prestiges and at least one Jem (vwh), and just about every other model in the line. Even had one of the EVH relics.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Vendor

That's ok, you can ignore me, I don't mind
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:48 PM

Lol....suddenly the Metallica song "The Forgotten" comes to mind

Sometimes you can't even lead a horse to water, let alone make it drink
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Not sure I understand the comments, fellas. I'm no fan of GC or SA by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just visiting a new area and wanted to hit a few stores. I got a couple of recommendations and tried to hit what I could. The smaller shops weren't open by the time I got to them, so I went to the GC and SA since they were relatively close. I only commented because this particular GC got pretty good reviews from other Jemsiters, and I was surprised - OK, you got me there, because I wasn't really - that they couldn't even get a model number right, much less charge out the ying-yang for said guitar.

The main reason I go to ANY music store is to look for used gear. If I want something brand new, I'll buy from Rich (thanks again for the RG20th, BTW). I like digging around for old MIJ RG's or maybe the occasional USAC. That's how I got the collection I have. I've found a FEW decent deals on RG's at GC's - a 7620 for $299, a 570 for $250, etc. It's uncommon, but if I don't look, I won't find 'em.

So don't think I don't listen, and believe me, I KNOW what to expect from GC and SA. That's why I said in my original post that I was looking for something BESIDES those stores. If nothing else, those stores are good for entertainment.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Vendor

I'm 10 miles from the bridge, but the general models you mentioned of course aren't ones you'll find hanging out here
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:28 PM

Rich, you have an actual store?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Well damn, if I thought you'd let me come look through YOUR shop, I'd have come right on over!

You also have to understand that the GC in Oklahoma City usually has about three Ibanez guitars, and they're always the cheapos. Anytime I see more Ibanez guitars than that together in one place, much less ANY MIJ's, it's at least cause for comment.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Vendor

It's not brouse friendly. There is no display of course. More like if you wanted to look at something I'd have to figure out where it was

I've been in the process of investigating the parameters of going brickfront, authorized, etc. Had an appointment with my area rep to hammer some of the details out but I got burried and some completely unexpected personal things [more estate stuff] came out of the blue and sidetracked me again. The last thing I ever wanted again was a 11-9, but since I'm already doing an 11-5[am] and the possibility of getting my house back to something liveable has me seriously considerring it

Tags
dweezil zappa , ibanez guitars , music store , paul gilbert , sam ash , steve vai , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode