Best places to start guitar gigs - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,108
Best places to start guitar gigs

Hey, I've been playing guitar for 3 years and I just got a band together and I was wondering where did you guys first start to gig, also my old guitar teacher might let me in with him on some of his gigs if i ask him, should I? I've gigged on bass but usually its standing in for a teacher or some lame theater show which wouldn't have anything to do with guitars.

Thanks

~Newb
newbieguitarmaker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:15 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cambridge/Memphis/Nashville
Posts: 3,769
Re: Best places to start guitar gigs

Well, my first performance with a band was at the school talent show. But I'm at a precarious age right now where I can't drive, so I've got a couple of more months before I can really start to get serious about a band.

There just aren't many people my age around here into the music I'm into...Everyone who plays an instrument just wants to play punk Blink-182 stuff...Eww...I wish there were more kids into the whole prog/fusion stuff. Hell, I wish there were more kids into just good all-around rock around here...
waylay00 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:19 AM
 
mi2tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 7,559
Re: Best places to start guitar gigs

I've never started a gig before, The first thing I do is thicken up my face and ask for gigs, It's hard at first but now we don't need to go asking around for gigs people call us for gigs
mi2tom is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,108
Re: Best places to start guitar gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Well, my first performance with a band was at the school talent show. But I'm at a precarious age right now where I can't drive, so I've got a couple of more months before I can really start to get serious about a band.

There just aren't many people my age around here into the music I'm into...Everyone who plays an instrument just wants to play punk Blink-182 stuff...Eww...I wish there were more kids into the whole prog/fusion stuff. Hell, I wish there were more kids into just good all-around rock around here...
yeah i'm doing my schools talent show, since I finally got a band together i can finally do it, people have been like yelling at me, your the best guitarist in school play in it! hah. Also Tom I'll try and start asking around, first I have to think of a place that has live bands other than like country kitchens (I'll pull a blues brothers)
newbieguitarmaker is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:52 PM
 
Passion_and_Warfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hartlepool, England
Posts: 1,688
Re: Best places to start guitar gigs

My 1st gig was at a local bar, my first band was pretty heavy(a bit too heavy for me), bordering death metal, the crowd wasn't too pleased at all, but we stuck it out.
Passion_and_Warfare is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,108
Re: Best places to start guitar gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion_and_Warfare View Post
My 1st gig was at a local bar, my first band was pretty heavy(a bit too heavy for me), bordering death metal, the crowd wasn't too pleased at all, but we stuck it out.
I was thinking about playing a bar, I'm pretty sure at 16 i can play a bar as long as my like dad came to watch over me or something.
newbieguitarmaker is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM
 
sick-boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hillsdale, MI USA
Posts: 1,190
Re: Best places to start guitar gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Well, my first performance with a band was at the school talent show. But I'm at a precarious age right now where I can't drive, so I've got a couple of more months before I can really start to get serious about a band.

There just aren't many people my age around here into the music I'm into...Everyone who plays an instrument just wants to play punk Blink-182 stuff...Eww...I wish there were more kids into the whole prog/fusion stuff. Hell, I wish there were more kids into just good all-around rock around here...
Who cares what they are into dude? I say you try to join one of those bands and then try to get some of your influence in. Nowhere does it say that you can't have solos in punk rock. Rancid does it all the time.
sick-boy is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,186
Reviews: 120
Re: Best places to start guitar gigs

Definitely, I always played and sung in punk bands, and have always solo'd too.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 09:40 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cambridge/Memphis/Nashville
Posts: 3,769
Re: Best places to start guitar gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
Who cares what they are into dude? I say you try to join one of those bands and then try to get some of your influence in. Nowhere does it say that you can't have solos in punk rock. Rancid does it all the time.
Well, I really don't like the whole culture of skater/punk/emo stuff anyways, and they have specifically stated that they dislike guitar solos. Granted, a song isn't all about a solo, but I just find it rather pretentious of them to say that. They're always saying bad things about Vai, for instance, and all the other guitar "virtuosos". I honestly cannot see myself playing in a band under these circumstances.
waylay00 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,108
Re: Best places to start guitar gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Well, I really don't like the whole culture of skater/punk/emo stuff anyways, and they have specifically stated that they dislike guitar solos. Granted, a song isn't all about a solo, but I just find it rather pretentious of them to say that. They're always saying bad things about Vai, for instance, and all the other guitar "virtuosos". I honestly cannot see myself playing in a band under these circumstances.
haha i turned like all my friends onto vai and once some kid was like vai sucks! and my friends are like what you want to go?!? and yes this kid was a skater/punk kid I'm only a little bit older than you and I know what you mean, in highschool it seems like everyone is into most of todays crap music. I am very open to different styles of music but some of this music is killing guitarists. I think if i start gigging around town and at school maybe i can spread some culture
newbieguitarmaker is offline  
Reply

Tags
death metal , playing guitar

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is Steve Vai's Prototype DNA in a guitar store window? - moochie777 Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 21 06-04-2010 01:39 AM
My New Chrome Guitar (Yamaha Pacifica) cakewalkr7 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 25 05-01-2009 06:16 PM
Somebody stole my guitar!! Please help me find it PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk 27 08-01-2006 12:04 AM
guitar man with nothing but bad attitude Joshka All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 0 02-25-2004 09:58 AM
How to transport a guitar to Jemfest for flyers. - Safety fi Gabe Nickelson Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 7 05-09-2001 02:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome