Best Tone in Rock Guitar - Page 2 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Re: Best Tone in Rock Guitar

Ya SRV is defenately one of my fav's as far as tone. Man, just amazing listening to that guy. Brian May was a good call as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:09 AM

I don't know if you would call them rock or metal, but I love Dave Murray and Adrian Smith's tones on Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast.

Rock on!
post #18 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
Ditto.
I like a lot of tones from a lot of guitarists, but it seems like EJ is spot on for me just about every song.
+2, Noone comes close imo.
post #19 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 09:46 AM

The Brown Sound.
post #20 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 AM

Warren Haynes deserves props here.
post #21 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:41 AM

Andy Timmons!

And uh, early-ish Malmsteen tone
post #22 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 01:17 PM

I've always loved Satch's tone on Flying in a Blue Dream.
post #23 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 01:41 PM

I see some great players listed here but I though this thread was about TONE..... You know, players that have distinguished themselves based on having a unique ability to wring out the best of their equipment and create tonal diversity. Not about their playing and whether you like it or some obscure song on one album.

Some of the players listed surely aren't recognized for their great tone.

Come on...... Ace Frehley = tone? Seriously, that's just a bad joke waiting for a punch line..... when there isn't one! Now showmanship and pyrotechnical props..... he's a god! He could write a book on the many uses of butane in rock guitar.

Stryper? Heck, I'll give props to Vito Bratta for his version of the "brown tone" but Stryper?

Neither Oz Fox or Michael Sweet were known for great tone...... just yellow and black spandex and something about a religious message. At least until they decided on an "image" change in 1990 to black leather and the loss of "God" in their message. And yet still no mass appeal..... hmmm

Who knows, maybe that recognition for great TONE will come with aging gracefully..... and of course Salvation Through Redemption, Yielding Peace, Encouragement, and Righteousness!

Malmasteen= a tone master? Hardly! The guy is known for his neoclassical chops, NOT TONE!
post #24 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 PM

I think Jagori Tanna from the Canadian band I Mother Earth had pretty awesome tone. He used many different tones throughout each song, but for some reason the tone he used in each part seemed perfect for that part of the song.
post #25 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 AM

I'm an old school guy.

George Lynch - He's a tone chaser live. What you hear on record is not what you get live. But in the studio he has his sh** down pat.
post #26 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 11:48 AM

I stand by Warren Haynes. The man has TONE, and the man has skills.
post #27 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Malmsteen= a tone master? Hardly! The guy is known for his neoclassical chops, NOT TONE!
Imo Yngwie Malmsteen does have a great tone.

Early years:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9SrMxGH6BE

Recent:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=hLa6iW7dRf4

Then again: you can't argue taste!

Cheers, Sam
post #28 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

I love Yngwie's tone now days, just amazing, I believe some of it can cover up his playing a little, but it still sounds great.
post #29 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 01:05 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Come on...... Ace Frehley = tone? Seriously, that's just a bad joke waiting for a punch line..... when there isn't one! Now showmanship and pyrotechnical props..... he's a god! He could write a book on the many uses of butane in rock guitar.
LOL I agree...I just couldn't resit the urge!!! Tone never found him!! LOL

Quote:
Stryper? Neither Oz Fox or Michael Sweet were known for great tone...... just yellow and black spandex and something about a religious message. At least until they decided on an "image" change in 1990 to black leather and the loss of "God" in their message. And yet still no mass appeal..... hmmm
I agree they "backslid" I hated that.. but they are on the right track now...
everyone makes mistakes...As far as tone, I think it worked for
them. Would I dial in a tone like that for me, no. I like the way it sounded
for them.I'll say this about Stryper, those duet solos SMOKE a lot
of things that were out as THAT time. Heck, Soldiers Under Command
is better than most of the stuff that's out now..

(Olie, can I get some help bro LOL!!!)
post #30 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 02:04 PM

I think eric johnson is an obvious answer (he talks about tone is the most important thing he goes for)
The very best tone player i believe is satriani (super colossal like they said in here is a masterpiece)

Tags
ace frehley , adrian smith , alex lifeson , allan holdsworth , andy summers , andy timmons , angelo batio , angus young , blues saraceno , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , clean tone , crystal planet , david gilmour , david lee roth , def leppard , eddie van halen , eric clapton , eric johnson , fender bassman , fire garden , flame maple , fret board , gary moore , guitar tech , guthrie govan , iron maiden , jeff beck , jeff loomis , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe satriani , john petrucci , john sykes , johnny hiland , kirk hammet , kurt cobain , larry carlton , les paul , mark knopfler , marty friedman , michael angelo batio , michael romeo , neal schon , neck humbucker , neck pup , nuno bettencourt , paul gilbert , phil collen , picking technique , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , richie kotzen , ritchie blackmore , robben ford , robert fripp , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , shawn lane , steve lukather , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , strat tone , tony iommi , van halen , vinnie moore , vito bratta , white lion , yngwie malmsteen , zachary guitars , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode