Best Tone in Rock Guitar - Page 5 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:47 PM

Re: Best Tone in Rock Guitar

No, Slash was using a REALLY nice LP copy, one that he still uses today. Great tone from that guy.
smitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Malmasteen= a tone master? Hardly! The guy is known for his neoclassical chops, NOT TONE!

He is known to YOU for "neoclassical chops", but to his fans he is known for his "Ritchie Blackmore" tone from 1984-1987. I seriously doubt you even know what I'm talking about.
post #63 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
Did anyone see the Crossroads Blues Festival that they've been playing on PBS?
I don't know what happened with Jeff Beck, but his tone was horrible. I wonder if he was using borrowed gear or didn't have time for a proper sound check. I expect nothing but the best out of Beck.
You talking about Clapton's Crossroads in Chicago? A lot of the artists complained about the gear and sound crew. A good friend of mine played that show and they completely cut him out in the middle of one of his songs.
post #64 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
You talking about Clapton's Crossroads in Chicago? A lot of the artists complained about the gear and sound crew. A good friend of mine played that show and they completely cut him out in the middle of one of his songs.
I was wondering, They've been showing it a lot on PBS, and I just found myself dissappointed with the performances.
post #65 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 PM

Here are some that I like...

Yngwie Malmsteen - MAJOR EDIT: Steeler!!!, No Parole from Rock and Roll (Alcatrazz), Rising Force, Marching Out, Trilogy
George Lynch - Tooth and Nail (Dokken)
Ritchie Blackmore
Vivian Campbell - Holy Diver (Dio)
Vinnie Moore - Mind's Eye, Time Odyssey, Meltdown
Phil Collen - High & Dry, Pyromania (Def Leppard)
Randy Rhoads - Diary of a Madman (Ozzy Osbourne)
Vito Bratta - White Lion
Angus Young
Mark Knopfler
Jeff Beck
Jimmy Page
etc, etc, etc...of course there are many more..

Note: Some of these guitarists I don't even particularly care for, but they had/have great tone. There are also players that I LOVE but whom I feel don't have particularly good tone (Paul Gilbert, Nuno Bettencourt, Steve Vai, etc)

Last edited by BigShred; 12-05-2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Dude, how could I leave out Steeler?!
post #66 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post

He is known to YOU for "neoclassical chops", but to his fans he is known for his "Ritchie Blackmore" tone from 1984-1987. I seriously doubt you even know what I'm talking about.
Yeah, right..... So let me get this straight, he COPIED Blackmores tone? So just how much can he be called a "tone master" then if it (Malmsteens tone) came from Blackmore? Get real..... quite original I guess!

Pardon If I find your impetus weak..... But I seriously question the validity of your statement regarding the merits of Malmsteen being known as a "tone master"!

You were joking weren't you?
post #67 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 PM

Dude, I don't think he was...
I would just stop if I were you. Your view has already been acknowledged.
smitty
post #68 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:55 PM

Gotta disagree with the major edit there 'Shred

I didn't personally think his tone was nice on the Steeler album!! (Just my opinion though)

I love No Parole.... though, and Marching Out
post #69 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:12 PM

I think that Michael Angelo Batio, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Adrian Smith(Iron Maiden) have the best tones!
post #70 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
No, Slash was using a REALLY nice LP copy, one that he still uses today. Great tone from that guy.
smitty

Not according to the guy that recorded them.....

From the book: Behind The Glass – Howard Massey

Mike Clink on the making of GNR Appetite:

“I think we all wanted to make a classic record, and I knew what that entailed.....I knew there were certain amps that weren’t going to cut it, and I knew the kind of guitars to use. When I first started working with Slash on rehearsals, he had a Jackson guitar, and it just wasn’t right for what we were trying to accomplish, so I said, “How about a Les Paul?”. We got him this Les Paul, and he fell in love with it. And that’s the guitar he still uses.”

“They didn’t have any gear. I think Duff may have had a bass and a cabinet with no head. With Slash we went through 40-some amplifiers trying to get the right sound for him.”

“For the drums, Steven (Adler) didn’t own a kit that I thought would be appropriate. That became the sound we used on the first record”.
post #71 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 05:32 AM

Unable to edit previous post:

The last line should read:

"For the drums, Steven (Adler) didn't own a kit that I thought would be appropriate so I rented a kit. That became the sound we used on the first record"
post #72 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Slash is a guy who's tone is legendary, he may not be the best guitarist, or even near the top, but his tone is killer. It's very interesting to see that he played a Jackson at one point, thanks for posting that!
Jake
post #73 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM

No problem....I guess what I'm trying to highlight is that a record producer (especially the good ones) are often responsible for tone choice and general sound of the band.
post #74 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:53 PM

I've enjoyed reading through this, as I never really think too much about it. I expect musicians to have good tone, and really only notice it when someone's tone is terrible.
post #75 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:59 PM

One of my favourite stories regarding a producer who changed a band's style and, therefore, created a legendary sound was the Bee Gees producer for "Nights on Broadway" in the mid-Seventies.

It's a great song now especially when the producer got the guys to sing most of the parts and harmonies in falsetto....and so the Bee Gees (as we now know them) were born.

Tags
ace frehley , adrian smith , alex lifeson , allan holdsworth , andy summers , andy timmons , angelo batio , angus young , blues saraceno , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , clean tone , crystal planet , david gilmour , david lee roth , def leppard , eddie van halen , eric clapton , eric johnson , fender bassman , fire garden , flame maple , fret board , gary moore , guitar tech , guthrie govan , iron maiden , jeff beck , jeff loomis , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe satriani , john petrucci , john sykes , johnny hiland , kirk hammet , kurt cobain , larry carlton , les paul , mark knopfler , marty friedman , michael angelo batio , michael romeo , neal schon , neck humbucker , neck pup , nuno bettencourt , paul gilbert , phil collen , picking technique , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , richie kotzen , ritchie blackmore , robben ford , robert fripp , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , shawn lane , steve lukather , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , strat tone , tony iommi , van halen , vinnie moore , vito bratta , white lion , yngwie malmsteen , zachary guitars , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode