Best Tone in Rock Guitar - Page 6 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 10:17 PM

Re: Best Tone in Rock Guitar

To Chimp: Gotcha. I read in Guitar Techniques from the man himself that his LP copy (the most common one...crazy flame maple top, zebra seymour duncans) was used on Appetite, and was given to him about then. So maybe that's the same guitar.
smitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jairic View Post
Eric Clapton (I'm not saying he's great, but in cocaine and layla he really did great)
I don't know if anyone has said this already (haven't read the entire thread here), but on "Layla" Duane Allman played the lead. You may not have implied that Clapton played the lead on the song, but thought I'd mention it.

Anyways, I love Petrucci's tone on Images and Words.
Eric Johnson captured an amazing sound. I envy him haha
Brown Sound
Saraceno is always left out, but he's got amazing tone.
Vai
Satch
Brian May's signature tone is killer
Slash has a great sound thanks to production
post #78 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 PM

Tone and wine seem to have a lot in common.
There are so many descriptive words to describe certain tones (warm, bright, glassy, bell-like, etc.) like there are many ways to describe a wine's taste and smell (cherries, currants, plu,s, etc.)

While wine snobs will argue about what is the best tasting wine, they can all agree on wines that are horrible.
And while we will argue about who has the best tone, I think we cal all agree on what bad tone is.

I don't know where all this is coming from, but I was thinking about it earlier today, so I thought I would share.
post #79 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 07:56 AM

If you want to talk about bad tone, my vote goes to Jack White. I think he might actually be tone deaf.

Rock on!
post #80 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
If you want to talk about bad tone, my vote goes to Jack White. I think he might actually be tone deaf.

Rock on!
Glad to see I'm not the only one. The White Stripes also get my vote for being one of the most overrated groups of recent years. Jack White's voice sounds like a cat in heat, the lyrics are ridiculous, and the drumming is too simplistic, mundane and mindless.
post #81 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

+1 for Jack White.
I didn't know Duane Allman played the layla part, I was actually going to post that I loved Claptons tone on that.
I usually hate strat Tone, but Hendrix got some really great tones with his neck pup, and Jake E. Lee got some decent studio sounds, not a huge fan of his quackier live sound.
post #82 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 12:00 PM

Well, go ahead and flame away, but...

I like the White Stripes and I love Jack White's tone. Very garage-rock sounding in a good way.

Flame on.
post #83 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
Well, go ahead and flame away, but...

I like the White Stripes and I love Jack White's tone. Very garage-rock sounding in a good way.

Flame on.
I wouldn't flame you for that. To each their own.

I'm sure that you would raise your eyebrows to some of my musical choices.
post #84 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mark View Post
I wouldn't flame you for that. To each their own.

I'm sure that you would raise your eyebrows to some of my musical choices.
Too true. If we all had the same tastes, the world would be a very boring place.

No flames from me sick-boy, but I was wondering who you would choose as the worst tone?

Rock on!
post #85 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
No flames from me sick-boy, but I was wondering who you would choose as the worst tone?
That's a tough one for me.
Aside from a lot of kids in YouTube videos, I don't think there's a lot of actual working musician's with bad tone. Maybe some with mediocre tone, but nothing that leaps out at me as particularly dreadful.

I think it just depends on the context of the music itself. For example, I think that Kurt Cobain and Jack White have good tone because they are going for that garage rock/punk rock feel. If they were using the same instruments and settings but trying to play something like progressive rock, then there would be an issue.
But I don't know, everytime I hear "Dead Leave and the Dirtly Ground" I get shivers. So Jack must be doing something right.
post #86 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 10:51 PM

Worst tone:
Michael Romeo. I like the fact that it's clean and pretty smooth, but it's a very VERY processed tone. He's a MONSTER player, but I can't stand his tone.
smitty
post #87 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 12:38 AM

Worst tone ever Malmsteen in Steeler. He had to put the lid down to have a place to sit while soloing.

http://www.mp3.com/albums/15285/summary.html
post #88 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:26 AM

Nothing wrong with Larry Carlton, Steve Morse, Gilmore.
post #89 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Worst tone:
Michael Romeo. I like the fact that it's clean and pretty smooth, but it's a very VERY processed tone. He's a MONSTER player, but I can't stand his tone.
smitty
Agreed. Awful sound.
post #90 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM

Andy Summers, Trevor Rabin, & Robbie Krieger are my favorites for tone, with several others that I like a lot, too.

Tags
ace frehley , adrian smith , alex lifeson , allan holdsworth , andy summers , andy timmons , angelo batio , angus young , blues saraceno , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , clean tone , crystal planet , david gilmour , david lee roth , def leppard , eddie van halen , eric clapton , eric johnson , fender bassman , fire garden , flame maple , fret board , gary moore , guitar tech , guthrie govan , iron maiden , jeff beck , jeff loomis , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe satriani , john petrucci , john sykes , johnny hiland , kirk hammet , kurt cobain , larry carlton , les paul , mark knopfler , marty friedman , michael angelo batio , michael romeo , neal schon , neck humbucker , neck pup , nuno bettencourt , paul gilbert , phil collen , picking technique , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , richie kotzen , ritchie blackmore , robben ford , robert fripp , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , shawn lane , steve lukather , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , strat tone , tony iommi , van halen , vinnie moore , vito bratta , white lion , yngwie malmsteen , zachary guitars , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode