Which bike? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Which bike?

Okay, so I've been looking at motorcycles recently. I don't have much of a budget. I've been looking at used Harley Sportsters. I've also been looking at Triumphs. So far I really like the Triumph Rocket III. The Sportsters look a bit more in my price range. Which is anywhere between 6000 and 9000. I don't even know what the price is on the rocket. The only sites i've found have a 200 dollar deposit for a rocket but not a total price which leads me to believe they aren't in my budget. If anyone knows what one of these badboys would cost i'd love to find out. It's currently the bike i'd most like to get as far as specs and looks are concerned. Your thoughts are always appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 02:00 PM

Re: Which bike?

Sportsters are crap; don't buy one. If you want a Harley get a big one, not that 45 horsepower bicycle. Triumphs are cool, I personally like them a lot. Of the current Trumps I like that T100 Bonne, she looks really sharp, as does the America and the ever popular i955. I used to have a '68 triumph Tiger 650 back in the day it was an absolute blast!
I'd consider a Japanese bike over the Harley as well. I rode Hondas and Kawi's for years and they were great and very reliable. Reliability is the deal if you really want to put some miles on it. Harleys....I like the way they look. That's it The Rocket III runs 15.9K and the Classic is 16.3K MSRP. For that price, you could get a Beemer!

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'd love to get a triumph. They're amazing bikes, and all the reviews i read about the rocket is that it has serious power but is still easy to ride. That's definetly the sort of thing i'd want but sadly it's waaaaaaay out of my budget at the moment. Know any decent cruisers that i can find for between 5 and 10 grand? I know that's not a lot, but this is my first bike and i have a pretty crappy job lol. I'm looking for something used but I don't wanna buy someone elses headache. I could really use some advice.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:49 PM

I'd look into a Honda Shadow, or get an all purpose sort of bike. Are you an experienced rider?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Nah, gonna take a course to get my license. I know it's not the same thing but i'm a very good driver and have also ridden dirt bikes. I just want a good ride that isn't going to make me broke for the rest of my life.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 10:37 PM

I say, go with a Harley.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I checked out hondas site, the payment plan is well within my reach, but i must say, have you heard anything good about the valkyrie?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:41 AM

cant go wrong with a good ol harley
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemwielder
Ok, I checked out hondas site, the payment plan is well within my reach, but i must say, have you heard anything good about the valkyrie?
Actually yes. The Valkyrie is supposed to be quite a good bike on its own, and way more powerful than most harleys with its six cylinder engine. The engine is a modified version of what is found in the Gold Wing... which means it sounds more like a vacuum cleaner than a cruiser

So good bike yes, and reliable as most Hondas are...
but Iīd say Triumph!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:09 AM

Reviews: 7

I 100% agree with what was said about the sportster, it's crap and a sissy bike. If you ever have a budget of 30+ grand, my father and I own a custom bike shop, but I see thats not your case right now. I say go with a Harley cause they never lose value, you'll always be able to get back what you paid or more... Honda's are nice bikes too, but definately no Harley and they decrease in value
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemwielder
Nah, gonna take a course to get my license. I know it's not the same thing but i'm a very good driver and have also ridden dirt bikes. I just want a good ride that isn't going to make me broke for the rest of my life.
This is an excellent, excellent idea and the reason I asked in the first place. Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's beginner course, it will give you a huge advantage. A lot of car drivers just never see a bike, even mine (and you don't get much bigger than my Beemer), and having been taught how to react, and taught how to practice becoming a better rider is a huge edge.

As for the Valk, I only hear good things. I would strongly suggest your first bike not be a new one though, and not be as big as a Valk. I would even suggest you get an older 600 sportsbike, like a Honda 600F3 or a Ninja 500 as a first bike. Cruisers you just sort of steer, whi8le a sportbike requires a little more, and gives a mountain more back to you. A standard bike (what they used to call a UJM) would be better as a first than a cruiser as well. Huge and shiny are two things you don't want in a first bike. Your first always tips over at some point, and you may fall off it as well. Get something used to learn on for a season or two, sellit for what you paid for it, then step up to a big cruiser if you still want one.

jim
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I have a bit of an aversion to sport bikes. I just don't like how they look and almost everyone i know who owns a bike sort of snickers whenever a guy comes into the local pub all the bikers hang at wearing one of those neon yellow leather racing suits with a snot green crotch rocket next to all the sweet cruisers. I do see your point about not getting something big and shiny at first. Especially since I've heard that the valkyrie has some pretty impressive torque, I wanna make sure it isn't goin to get away from me and they're going to have to scrape me off the side of the road with a spatula. I have heard lots of things about the course for getting your license and it seems like the way to go, that way i don't have to make a huge investment like getting a bike to learn how and then (this is doubtful) not really liking it and having the headache of trying to sell it. I have heard nothing but good things about all the bikes that honda makes, which doesn't surprise me at all considering that they make great dirt bikes and cars.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:42 PM

Well, I'm in the process of getting off my butt to get my full licence just now and I've ridden bikes for the last three years. I prefer sportsbikes over cruisers but I think the rule of thumb is to not go for the biggest, fastest most badass bike you can afford because it'll just bite your ass off.

I'd say go with a street/naked or a sports tourer for a first bike, and then from there go onto bigger and faster bikes.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:56 PM

It takes more skill to ride a sportbike to its potential than to point a cruiser down the street. You should get the bike you like, but half of the cruiser riders I've ever met in my 25 years of licensed riding didn't even have licenses, especially the guys on Harleys (in NY/NJ it's a written test to get a permit, and you can insure and ride anything on that permit). You could consider something like a Suzuki SV650, which is universally acclaimed; small, quick, and cheap as a compromise.

Think about it for a second, as you hinted at it yourself above. A lot of Harley riders tend to ride to pubs on Sundays, park their shiny Harleys in front and pound a few at the bar. Then, they ride home. They buy the Harley so they can be a biker, a tough guy, a poser. This is kind of what sportbike riders think when they see guys on cruisers One of my brothers has a 1500cc Kawasaki Vulcan cruiser, and he gets all kinds of trash talking from Harley owners. To a lot of them, it's about the bike itself and not about motorcycling or riding. You'll find all this out firsthand as the season unfolds, it's very odd. Wave to a guy on a Harley while you're on a Japanese bike, and laugh as he pretends he doesn't see you
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:07 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

i always recommend not buying a motorcycle but if you must, why not consider a used bike where the previous guy took the depreciation and then you're not married to a new bike that might not be for you... glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode