Birthday Present from Vai - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Birthday Present from Vai

Thought some of you Jemsiters might find this cool. My grandmother recently passed and all of Vai's direct family was at the funeral (they are my cousins). He mailed me this for my birthday and as a condolence gift.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:26 PM

Re: Birthday Present from Vai

wow
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:35 PM

He seems like a genuinely nice guy - even if I didn't enjoy his music (which I do!), I'd still have huge respect for him as a really decent human being - I imagine you'd feel pretty much the same!
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Yea he really is a great guy. His mom told mine a story of how he was backstage at a concert, and a woman comes up to him and pulls up her shirt, and he tells her "Put your shirt back on, don't you have any respect for yourself?"
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 PM

Damn, I honestly am not that into Vai and the rest of the shredders (Don't kill me guys, I'm sorry) but that is a damn cool thing for him to do. I like the story about him telling a girl to have respect for herself, too. He seems like a real classy guy.
Sorry about your loss, BTW.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
Damn, I honestly am not that into Vai and the rest of the shredders (Don't kill me guys, I'm sorry) but that is a damn cool thing for him to do. I like the story about him telling a girl to have respect for herself, too. He seems like a real classy guy.
Sorry about your loss, BTW.
Thanks, I know shes in peace.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
but that is a damn cool thing for him to do. I like the story about him telling a girl to have respect for herself, too. He seems like a real classy guy.
Vai is as ~classy~ and kind hearted as they get
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 08:25 PM

He is classy and I do love him, however, that gift seemed a little self- serving. Shouldn't the gift have been a little less about him and more about you and your grandmother?
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71 View Post
He is classy and I do love him, however, that gift seemed a little self- serving. Shouldn't the gift have been a little less about him and more about you and your grandmother?
My mom told his sister that I was his biggest fan and I guess she passed on the word haha ; )

I guess he thought it was appropriate. I think it is a really nice wall piece myself. And it was nice of him to do it for me.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilverdew View Post
My mom told his sister that I was his biggest fan and I guess she passed on the word haha ; )

I guess he thought it was appropriate. I think it is a really nice wall piece myself. And it was nice of him to do it for me.
Okay, cool. You should be able to meet him at some point.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: Birthday Present from Vai

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilverdew View Post
Thought some of you Jemsiters might find this cool. My grandmother recently passed and all of Vai's direct family was at the funeral (they are my cousins). He mailed me this for my birthday and as a condolence gift.

I'm sorry for your loss dew. Losing a grandmother is a very hard thing to experience. I wish my grandma was still around with us but, I know she's in a better place.

Jimmy
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 09:51 PM

Sorry, but is giving an autographed pic of yourself really an appropriate condolence "gift"? To your cousin, no less?

I'm a big fan and he's all great and all that, but this just strikes me as a little strange.

Sorry about your grandma
~K
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Well my mother said "My son is Stevie's biggest fan, he has the cd booklet from Passion & Warfare on his wall!"

and Lillian said "Oh, we could do much better than that"

So they sent us this huge, (it really is big) framed thing so I think it's pretty cool. It would be weird if he just sent a picture of himself as a funeral gift, but this was mostly a birthday gift. But there was a letter of condolence for my grandmother with it. Thanks Kenny and Jimmy!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 10:07 PM

Very cool quik. Nice of Steve to do that for you. Obviously Steve's intentions for this was to cheer you up. Thanks for showing.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
Sorry, but is giving an autographed pic of yourself really an appropriate condolence "gift"? To your cousin, no less?
My god you guys

quik-sd, I'm glad you appreciated the kindness shown by the attending of the funeral and hopefully the gift did cheer you up!! I know it would me

I'm sorry about your loss. I lost my G-ma not too long ago, but as you said and I know:

"they are in a better place"

Tags
stevie vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what did u get for christmas present

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode