Blade Runner fans! the greatest news ever! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Blade Runner fans! the greatest news ever!

guys, for you Blade Runner fans out there, here's something we've been waiting 25 years now! check it out:

[somewhere from the web]

"Yes... Ridley Scott's Blade Runner is FINALLY, officially, coming to DVD. This is real... it's happening... and it's going to be very, very cool.

First a bit of background on the reason for the title's delay. Warner had been planning a 2-disc special edition of the film early last year... but suddenly realized that their rights to the title were about to lapse. However, the studio ponied up the big bucks to get back what is arguably one of their primo Cadillac catalog titles. The ownership situation now resolved, Warner has set in motion plans to really do something special with the film. Now that the project is finally out in the open, however, we can finally say a few things. Keep in mind that the major portion of the release is still over a year away. But here's the basic plan...

This coming September, there will be a new limited DVD release (HD-DVD & Blu-ray Disc are also planned) of the restored 1992 Director's Cut (you know... the one that isn't really a director's cut). This will be available for just four months. We believe this is basically the 2-disc release that Warner had originally planned to bow LAST year.

Then next year, just in time for the film's 25th anniversary, Ridley Scott's ultimate Blade Runner: The Final Cut will hit theaters for a limited run. This will be a REAL director's cut, with restored scenes and more - all the stuff that Ridley's always wanted to do with the film but hasn't really been given the chance to do before. That will be followed later in the year by an Ultimate Blade Runner DVD release. You can expect a multi-disc box set (again, likely with a simultaneous HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc release) that will contain at least four different versions of the film... ALL in full anamorphic widescreen, we might add. You'll get the film's original U.S. theatrical cut, you'll get the expanded international theatrical cut, you'll get the 1992 Director's Cut and you'll get the new Final Cut as well. Now... we realize at this point, you may have questions. Keep in mind, there's a TON of additional material that's going to be included in this set that hasn't been announced and can't be talked about yet - all-new material that you've never seen before. The set is pretty early in the planning and production stage, so it's way too early to talk details, but trust us... some very cool stuff is in the works. These extras will likely be different from the September '06 release, so if you buy both you'll at least be getting your money's worth.

i'm thrilling! F... YEAH!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:54 PM

Re: Blade Runner fans! the greatest news ever!

Great Movie. I'm sure they'll do whatever it takes to take advantage of the situation and make the most profit they can.

I remember the problems with getting Heavy Metal out to video. Musical Artist and Movie companies sueing each other, etc. Problem is, by the time it's released, not as many people care anymore.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 09:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

*yawn* i just saw this in HD(TV)

good news and a money grab... should have been released a few years ago as planned. they need to skip the sept 06 "single dvd" this year then lower the forthcoming "boxset" price to a reasonable level... glen
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
they need to skip the sept 06 "single dvd" this year then lower the forthcoming "boxset" price to a reasonable level... glen
yeah, that's what logic would suggest, but we Blade Runner's fan(atic)s aren't. i would spend zillions for BR, no matter what.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 12:05 PM

I loved this movie and will probably buy the box set ever though it will be overpriced.

(off topic) An interesting side note I read in a magazine article was that Satch got the name of the song "Tears in the Rain" from Rutger Hauer's character saying that "we're all just tears in rain" in the roof top scene near the end of the movie. Cool! (back on topic)

edit - The quote from the movie was actually "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Last edited by southpaw_lefty; 06-01-2006 at 12:59 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 PM

I have the "Director's cut" which as most know isn't all that.
I actually liked the U.S. release in that it had Ford's narrative over the top of the movie. That was how I 1st saw it, so it seemed what was normal to me and what I was hoping to hear in the DC version, no dice.

Agreed that this is LONG overdue, I've always loved the movie but since I've owned the DC version, I think I've watched it once since buying it 4 years ago.

Glen, which version did you see in HD?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 12:26 PM
site founder 0% owner

i never knew that about satch.

i wonder if they did a lowry-type restoration (probably not) on the film since these were transferred to 1920x1080 HD for recent airings and looked pretty good. That is the directors cut w/o narration.

i have that archived from HDTV actually for repeat viewings

the current dvd is abysmal (i have the old laserdisc too with the deplorable "narration" by ford). I'm surprised you preferred that bamm - the narration makes it so clumsy imho - but the boxset will have all the "versions" so anyone can watch the version they like. sounds like a good candidate for netflix-ing... glen

edit - just saw Mike's post above
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 01:35 PM

i know i'm going to get slammed for this but i never saw the movie. i know it's a classic and so many people love it. i will have to check it out. my parents were never into that stuff so i never got to see it....just one that fell through the cracks.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
site founder 0% owner

it's a classic but one i think alot of new viewers might not like or appreciate (sort of like Scott's original Alien if you viewed it today after seeing the others and copycat films). rent the dvd then post your impressions ...glen
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 02:46 PM

Yeah. The whole movie has a very dark and melancholy sort of vibe too it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Decker is the fifth replicant.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
i know it's a classic and so many people love it. i will have to check it out.
many years ago i didn't even want to see it, i was skeptical cause i thought it was the sole average ordinary sci-fi movie with space-shuttles and laserguns and sh!t like that, you know. but my bro insisted on that, so i said "ok, let's see it..." and then i've been hooked forever and it changed my life since then. thanks Scott!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
i never knew that about satch.

i have that archived from HDTV actually for repeat viewings

the current dvd is abysmal (i have the old laserdisc too with the deplorable "narration" by ford). I'm surprised you preferred that bamm - the narration makes it so clumsy imho - but the boxset will have all the "versions" so anyone can watch the version they like. sounds like a good candidate for netflix-ing... glen

edit - just saw Mike's post above
I knew you'd say that.

I dont' know why I like it, maybe just due to the fact that that was how I saw it the 1st time when I was a kid, *Shrugs* dunno what else to say.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 07:06 PM

Great news...hopefully Scott won't butcher it up with trashcan material like he did Alien.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
guys, for you Blade Runner fans out there, here's something we've been waiting 25 years now! check it out:

[somewhere from the web]

"Yes... Ridley Scott's Blade Runner is FINALLY, officially, coming to DVD. This is real... it's happening... and it's going to be very, very cool.

First a bit of background on the reason for the title's delay. Warner had been planning a 2-disc special edition of the film early last year... but suddenly realized that their rights to the title were about to lapse. However, the studio ponied up the big bucks to get back what is arguably one of their primo Cadillac catalog titles. The ownership situation now resolved, Warner has set in motion plans to really do something special with the film. Now that the project is finally out in the open, however, we can finally say a few things. Keep in mind that the major portion of the release is still over a year away. But here's the basic plan...

This coming September, there will be a new limited DVD release (HD-DVD & Blu-ray Disc are also planned) of the restored 1992 Director's Cut (you know... the one that isn't really a director's cut). This will be available for just four months. We believe this is basically the 2-disc release that Warner had originally planned to bow LAST year.

Then next year, just in time for the film's 25th anniversary, Ridley Scott's ultimate Blade Runner: The Final Cut will hit theaters for a limited run. This will be a REAL director's cut, with restored scenes and more - all the stuff that Ridley's always wanted to do with the film but hasn't really been given the chance to do before. That will be followed later in the year by an Ultimate Blade Runner DVD release. You can expect a multi-disc box set (again, likely with a simultaneous HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc release) that will contain at least four different versions of the film... ALL in full anamorphic widescreen, we might add. You'll get the film's original U.S. theatrical cut, you'll get the expanded international theatrical cut, you'll get the 1992 Director's Cut and you'll get the new Final Cut as well. Now... we realize at this point, you may have questions. Keep in mind, there's a TON of additional material that's going to be included in this set that hasn't been announced and can't be talked about yet - all-new material that you've never seen before. The set is pretty early in the planning and production stage, so it's way too early to talk details, but trust us... some very cool stuff is in the works. These extras will likely be different from the September '06 release, so if you buy both you'll at least be getting your money's worth.

i'm thrilling! F... YEAH!!!!
About time!!!

Regards

André

Tags
heavy metal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode