Blade Runner: The Final Cut, US theaters only... anyone? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Angry Blade Runner: The Final Cut, US theaters only... anyone?

hey US guys, has anyone got to see Blade Runner: The Final Cut on theaters? any reviews? for some absurd reason there's no chance for us non-US ppl to see it, other than on DVD. i'm so pissed out for that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 AM

Re: Blade Runner: The Final Cut, US theaters only... anyone?

The final cut??? I've only had the director's cut for a couple of years! Anyone figured out the difference yet?

The director's cut was definitely better than the theatrical version, if only because the awful film noir voiceover was removed. The extra 'scenes' - all 30 seconds of them - didn't add much as far as I was concerned. The film was damn near perfect (in my not even remotely humble opinion) so what other tweaking is going to improve it?

Except maybe more of Sean Young.

On the subject of fairly dark interpretations of the future, did anyone get hold of Children of Men? - it may have sunk without a trace in the US market. Impressively depressing.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:50 AM

Reviews: 21

I haven't heard of a theater playing it. Maybe it's just a NY/LA thing?
I like both versions but actually prefer the theatrical version. I like the detective voice-over. Beautiful film either way! It would be nice to get a DVD where I can choose the audio track; old or new. I love the soundtrack too. Got it on CD.
Children of Men was very good. Like Blade Runner I have to be in the mood for it.
Actually, considering how the future is shaping up, Philip K. Dick's novels seem to have more accurate predicitons. Read "The Simulacra", "Clans of the Alphane Moon", or "The Man Who Japed". They have a lot more attack-advertising, much like the film version of "Minority Report".
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyH View Post
The final cut??? I've only had the director's cut for a couple of years! Anyone figured out the difference yet?
no differences at all in the story. they "only" corrected the many errors of the TR and DC versions, then added some of the deleted scenes, and they also had the picture and the sound completely revised, i.e.: exactly what we BR freaks always wanted. here's an excerpt of a review from a BR fan who had the luck to see the FC on theaters (read the complete review HERE):

Mistakes Corrected:

- Bryant says TWO replicants were fried running through an electrical field.
- No more spinner wires.
- In the Abdul Ben Hassan scene, the dialogue matches the lips now.
- Joanna Cassidy's face has been digitally placed over all of the shots of the stunt doubles.
- The serial number on the snake scale has been altered to match what the Cambodian lady read aloud.
- When the doves flies away, there is a new background that matches the rest of the movie.

New Material:

- The ORIGINAL non-DC unicorn scene has been reinserted.
- Roy now says "I want more life, father" instead of "...I want more life, f*cker".
- Roy's murder of Tyrell is longer and bloodier.

that's amazing, to say the least.

Quote:
The director's cut was definitely better than the theatrical version [...] The extra 'scenes' - all 30 seconds of them - didn't add much as far as I was concerned.
quite the contrary. if you're referring to the Unicorn scene, well, that changes upside-down the whole story by revealing what Deckard really is: a replicant himself. this wasn't clear on the Theatrical Release. why Warner Bros or some of the productors wanted to deleted this scene at the time, is beyond me.

Quote:
The film was damn near perfect, so what other tweaking is going to improve it?
if you mean that its mood was perfect, i totally agree. but there were so many technical mistakes... thought, the overall mood of the film makes us totally forget about those.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
It would be nice to get a DVD where I can choose the audio track; old or new.
it actually will be available on 2 or 5 DVD sets (read HERE for more). here they are:

Disc One
RIDLEY SCOTT'S ALL-NEW "FINAL CUT" VERSION OF THE FILM

Disc Two
DOCUMENTARY - DANGEROUS DAYS: MAKING BLADE RUNNER (3h,50m + !)

Disc Three
1982 THEATRICAL VERSION
1982 INTERNATIONAL VERSION
1992 DIRECTOR'S CUT

Disc Four
BONUS DISC - "Enhancement Archive"

Disc Five
WORKPRINT VERSION

almost any versions have a commentary by director Scott and producers and/or actors etc.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

it'll be out on early December '07. i'm thrilling!
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 AM

Reviews: 1

Finally!
I grew up seeing the film with the narration, so I guess I've always preferred it to the directors cut. Funny how people either love it or hate it. I think it just lends a bit of insight into the thought processes going on with the characters. Some scenes it isn't required, but I like Harrison Ford's voice over.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

well, the FC is based on the DC, basically. no voice-over, no silly happy ending. luckily...
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 AM

It's all news to me.

Haven't heard a thing about it
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
quite the contrary. if you're referring to the Unicorn scene, well, that changes upside-down the whole story by revealing what Deckard really is: a replicant himself. this wasn't clear on the Theatrical Release. why Warner Bros or some of the productors wanted to deleted this scene at the time, is beyond me.
I dunno. The unicorn dream was immensely obscure in the first place, with the only other allusion to unicorns (that I remember) being Gaff's origami. Implanted memories is regarded as being the clue to the dream, but dreams may or may not have anything to do with conscious thought. I doubt that Deckard's being a replicant makes any real difference to the underlying message, which I always regarded as Batty's love for life overcoming his desire to kill Deckard, as well as the underlying warning regarding out-of-control genetic manipulation and man's penchant for regarding himself as master of all he creates.

Pseudo-intellectualism on my part aside, I prefer the removal of the voiceover because the audience is no longer guided and, as with most great books and literature, now has to make up its own mind as to what it is seeing.

And, despite the expressions of incredulity above, I'll end up buying it, just like my third (!) copy of Surfing with the Alien.

Good thread, Nuno.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 AM

I see no much reference in your comments to the music and its composer. Vangelis did a terrific job on the main theme. Has become a classic. I forget what else was there is terms of music, I don't think much more worth mentioning though.

Is there any part within the making documentary addressing Vangelis and the making of the sound track?

Gus.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusfmm View Post
I see no much reference in your comments to the music and its composer.
Is there any part within the making documentary addressing Vangelis and the making of the sound track?
don't know. that was totally perfect and sublime from the first version, that's why they don't mention it in the incoming FC announcements
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 AM

Reviews: 21

I love the minimalist Japanese / techno with the big drums in the intro. It's awesome when it leads into the establishing shot of LA 2014.
***spoilers***
Deckard being a replicant is central to the story. Holden, the first Blade Runner, gets blasted by Leon during the VK test. They get Deckard because it's too dangerous. Really, Gaff is the guy running the investigation as he's following his replicant do-boy, Deckard, who does all the dirty work. Deckard and Roy are the same character, only Roy knows what he is and rebels. Gaff, who knows Deckard is a replicant, alludes to him being a replicant with the unicorn and stick-man origami.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I dunno. The unicorn dream was immensely obscure in the first place, with the only other allusion to unicorns (that I remember) being Gaff's origami.
actually that was all they meant. Gaff wanted Deckard to know that he (Gaff) knew what's implanted in Deck's mind. Gaff knew the unicorn's dream was one of Deck's (implanted) remembers. to me, Deck as a rep really changes the whole concept of the film's message. it's not just an human being delegate to catch Nexus 6s down, it's most likely a Nexus 7 prototype, where Nexus 7s would be more human than human, which means they had all humans defects. this would open up a whole new concept and would clear out why Gaff and Rachael are "defecting" replicants, or better, more human than human Nexuses. my point of view
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

this should have played earlier this month in NYC (one theatre).

too much Lucas-ization though.

the whole "lets make deckard a replicant because the movie got pannned really was handled poorly. scott had some great work but his Alien anniversary cut was also worse than the original.

when in doubt leave it alone... glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode