Blu-Ray vs HD DVD opinions? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Blu-Ray vs HD DVD opinions?

I've just started looking into upgrading to one of these.

From what I can tell, Blu-ray has support from more studios and has greater data capacity, but HD DVD players appear cheaper. I saw a Toshiba model on sale last night at Best Buy for $249.

Does anyone know if the picture quality is the same with these formats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Reviews: 16
Re: Blu-Ray vs HD DVD opinions?

You lose features with the cheaper models. I haven't really gotten into it because I'm waiting on Blu-ray winning the format war, or a dual player comes out that's affordable ~ $400 - $500.

Until then my present DVDs show up awesomely on my 57" widescreen.

post #3 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:45 PM

To me (and because I play games) the PS3 is a good bet, then just grab a HD player when they drop in price more
post #4 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:57 PM

Reviews: 10

if you have a 360 already then HD DVD is a wayyy cheaper option (especially if in UK not checked US prices).

Then again if you have a PS3 blu ray is your best bet.

If you have none, then price check players. Blu ray holds more data, but codec for HD DVD is better so not as much disc space needed.
post #5 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:11 PM

I think it is too early to really tell which will win, Blu-Ray is definitely in the lead but HD DVD seems like the little train that could.

I mean think of the VHS vs. Betamax (yes before my time ) Betamax was Sony, they had a better picture, VHS had more capacity. VHS won since many people liked the extra capacity for recording.

Sony also had some other losing formats they created such as I believe Sony laser disk to DVD and Sony 8-track to cassett(but sony made a killing with walkmans).

Yet Sony did create the CD that we all love
I think that some of their older formats losing format wars makes me give the Blu-Ray better odds to stand up and win!

Just as I said it is all still too early to tell
post #6 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

same quality (1920x1080/24fps mastered) limited more by the studio and source film condition than bluray/hd-dvd technology itself. the format war is a clusterfVck.

in a few years all new players will be dual-format since both sides are dug in after bluray floundered due to ps3 price & poor sales and exclusive studio support lost (paramount went hd-dvd only, universal is hd-dvd only, sony is bluray only, fox is bluray only, disney is bluray only, warner is the only major doing dual-support but has 2x more hd-dvds released)

both formats are niche with limited support and slow product release. ps3 is the only legitimate bluray player worth considering today, and that is a clumsy unit for a player only

today hd-dvd is the best bang for the buck $199 with 12 HD-DVDs plus they upscale standard DVD beautifully. bluray needs work in regard to price and player (the current models lack interactivity). i'd like to grab a $199 bluray player to compliment my HD-A1 (toshiba hd-dvd) if only the bluray group would get the memo "it's always about price stupid"... glen
post #7 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:25 PM

So, does all of this mean that my DVDs and my DVD player are like VCR tapes now????
post #8 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
site founder 0% owner

hehe... thankfully no

actually your (good quality) DVDs look better than ever since they are upconverted. Some discs like Star Wars Ep5-6 look better than many bluray/hd-dvd 1080p movies when played on my HD-DVD player because the were done with high quality remasters. Yes the EP5-6 HDTV 1080i caps i have look better but the problem is this...

the average viewer on even an above average TV doesn't notice really notice a startling difference (ie. mp3 vs CD quality)... glen
post #9 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:56 PM

I think Blu-Ray may be slightly ahead at this point. It seems like everywhere I have been Christmas shopping this year I have seen huge displays of Blu Ray and PS3 players. I would guess Sony is dumping some big money out to have their items on endcaps during the holiday season. I did see a Sony player as low as $377 locally which is down from the $650 price tag I saw last year. So they are dropping, but as Glen said. Not fast enough.
post #10 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 03:35 PM

I've got a Sony HD-DVD player and 24" WEGA 1080i HD-TV in the bedroom. The 6 foot Belden HD connector cable was about 1/2 the price ($109) of the HD-DVD player.

Last edited by ScottB; 12-13-2007 at 03:49 PM.
post #11 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
today hd-dvd is the best bang for the buck $199 with 12 HD-DVDs plus they upscale standard DVD beautifully. bluray needs work in regard to price and player (the current models lack interactivity). i'd like to grab a $199 bluray player to compliment my HD-A1 (toshiba hd-dvd) if only the bluray group would get the memo "it's always about price stupid"... glen
The Toshiba HD-A3 is what I'm looking at (probably just a newer version of A1.) It comes with "Bourne Indentity" and "300" plus the rebate for 12 more that was mentioned. It seems like a pretty sweet deal at $249, and I don't think I can hold off another year.

My tv displays up to 1080i so I don't need the next higher model (HD-A30 which is 1080p.)

I read that if neither format wins, there's the possibilty that future releases will have both formats included, one on either side on the disk. So maybe I won't have to worry about having an obselete player.
post #12 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 05:42 PM

I own both a Blu-Ray (PS3) and HD-DVD (HD-A30) player. I love it!

In terms of picture quality, I tend to prefer my Blu-Ray library because Fox, Sony, and Disney put out consistently amazing looking discs. Most of Universal's HDDVD titles are a mixed bag (as does Warner), imho. But I do prefer Universal's catalogue titles. So I end up buying a lot of old discs for HDDVD and new stuff on Blu-Ray.

It does suck to have two formats though. I think it will stay niche for a while :-/ If it were up to up me, I would want Blu-Ray to win.

And the PS3 is an amazing Blu-Ray unit...not a clumsy unit at all.

btw, I sent away for my free movies months ago and I'm still waiting for them.
post #13 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:20 PM

Reviews: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
I think it is too early to really tell which will win, Blu-Ray is definitely in the lead but HD DVD seems like the little train that could.

I mean think of the VHS vs. Betamax (yes before my time ) Betamax was Sony, they had a better picture, VHS had more capacity. VHS won since many people liked the extra capacity for recording.

Sony also had some other losing formats they created such as I believe Sony laser disk to DVD and Sony 8-track to cassett(but sony made a killing with walkmans).

Yet Sony did create the CD that we all love
I think that some of their older formats losing format wars makes me give the Blu-Ray better odds to stand up and win!

Just as I said it is all still too early to tell

Just to clarify Phillips and Sony invented the CD

My opinion is to wait unless you got either PS3 or xbox 360. Both camps state that in a few years both formats will double in their capacity, which means size wont matter in the end, its all about how cheap the factories can make players for the specific formats and so far HD wins on this aspect.

Sony also failed on the Minidisc front, cause it came out just before MP3 players which ruined it.
post #14 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 PM
site founder 0% owner

PS3 has no built in IR capability, negating almost every nice learning remote made to date... super clumsy

both these formats are likely to be dwarfed by (legal) downloads of not-quite-as-good HDTV on-demand like offerings. Research shows people buy large HDTVs and don't even know if they are watching HDTV or low res TV. Mass market has no need for 1080p and 50+ GB discs any more than they did SACD or DVD-AUDIO.

I can see HD-DVD having good hardware sales as an inexpensive upscaling DVD player with HD software sales being very, very flat. I mean who really wants to repurchase their movies or TV series? Someone is going to watch seasons 1-5 of 24 in HD (when they aired in HD already LOL). Can't share them with friends, play them in the minivan, play them in the kids room, spare bedroom. Too many problems (bluray or hd-dvd).

The chance of people going for hd/bd discs in bulk is just very, very, very unlikely... glen
post #15 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 04:59 AM

Reviews: 65

HD-DVD hands down.

- In tests most reference Films showed better quality.
- All the features in all players, whereas in Blue Ray it might be that if you buy a player today it may not be able to play discs made in 1 year.
- Best DVD compatibility chips for rendering normal DVDs to HD screens
- No region codes (fight against region codes!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez s320 opinions?
opinions on duncan JB?
opinions on duncan JB?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode