Bugatti Chiron, 0-400-0, 42 seconds - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Bugatti Chiron, 0-400-0, 42 seconds

Coincidentally, Apple unveiled their new products on the same day the Frankfurt Motor Show began. I recall Apple using the term "real-time" quite a bit during their presentation.

Well, Bugatti made this video which, while edited for dramatic effect, was done in real time:
(400km/h works out to be about 249mph.)
bammbamm likes this.

Last edited by Formerly Given To Fly; 09-17-2017 at 02:00 AM. Reason: removed word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:35 AM
Vendor

Re: Bugatti Chiron, 0-400-0, 42 seconds

I didn't recognize Juan till he got out of the car LOL

Great video.

I have never liked the styling except from one angle, the back, which fortunately is the only angle you're ever likely to see of one driving! But they are just insane, street legal 1500 horsepower. The 400-0 was truly impressive! I'm sure Koenigsegg will have to counter with their own record breaker with the 1 to 1.

And the insurance companies went crazy in the 70's over 400 horse making the government crack down on power. Now power is back in style, but this round you can get huge street legal power. Hellcats, Demons, Aventadors. It's crazy. I'm quite happy with mine and it's definitely got more juice than I need to get into trouble [I got a warning last ween doing 86!! LOL] but I have never had a car more than a few months and didn't say, I wish I had a lot more power!
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:42 AM

Awesome. Makes me want to splurge on a crazy car haha. The roads up here are awesome too for it. Loads of highways that go up north into the countryside with gorgeous views of rivers/mountains, etc...
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:06 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Awesome. Makes me want to splurge on a crazy car haha. The roads up here are awesome too for it. Loads of highways that go up north into the countryside with gorgeous views of rivers/mountains, etc...
What are you waiting for, it's not like you're not successful enough to justify it. Life is too damn short, if there's something you want, go get it, just be smart about it. I figured you'd at least be driving a Boxster, just tell me you're not in a mini van.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I didn't recognize Juan till he got out of the car LOL

Great video.

I have never liked the styling except from one angle, the back, which fortunately is the only angle you're ever likely to see of one driving! But they are just insane, street legal 1500 horsepower. The 400-0 was truly impressive! I'm sure Koenigsegg will have to counter with their own record breaker with the 1 to 1.

And the insurance companies went crazy in the 70's over 400 horse making the government crack down on power. Now power is back in style, but this round you can get huge street legal power. Hellcats, Demons, Aventadors. It's crazy. I'm quite happy with mine and it's definitely got more juice than I need to get into trouble [I got a warning last ween doing 86!! LOL] but I have never had a car more than a few months and didn't say, I wish I had a lot more power!
I love Koenigsegg! Originally, because they looked cool, but later on I started to appreciate the unique way they solve problems: sometimes with finesse, sometimes with brute strength. I agree that the 400-0 was impressive because, well, 250mph to 0 mph in 9.3 seconds is impressive and dangerous. Which is why the Chiron and the Veyron before it are so impressive. They are so overbuilt the danger becomes minimal. I assume, I have not had the pleasure of driving any of these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Notice the high fences around the racetrack. Those are there to keep animals out and people from dying. This is where is was filmed:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehra-Lessien
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:13 AM
Vendor

I keep forgetting VW own all these exotics LOL!!

I didn't know that was a track, looked like a nice 2 mile stretch of 3 lane highway, perfect with the high sides and tall trees to eliminate all crosswinds. The third time I watched it I wondered what it would be like to hit a squirrel at 250

The ABS and traction control on these hyper cars are absolutely phenomenal F1 tech.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 06:23 AM

Rich what do you drive?
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think there's a sweet spot somewhere between what is fun on a public road, and what is bragging rights in the pub (or on an Internet forum), it's not safe to use a car like this to its full potential on the Queen's highways and a track car has very different requirements to a fast road car.

That said, there's something astounding about the tech on some of these beasts...
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 12:08 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think there's a sweet spot somewhere between what is fun on a public road, and what is bragging rights in the pub (or on an Internet forum), it's not safe to use a car like this to its full potential on the Queen's highways and a track car has very different requirements to a fast road car.

That said, there's something astounding about the tech on some of these beasts...
It's not safe to use a Smart car to it's fullest potential on public roads, so whatever you drive you can drive as unsafely as anything else. But I can guarantee a true sports car is much safer than a Buick at the same speeds, just the hyper car can go twice as fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Z06 View Post
Rich what do you drive?
The prettiest belle at the ball! But she will slap you if you try and get in her panties too fast

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:52 PM

Beautiful car Rich....Manual or auto? My weekend toy is a beastly 640 HP Z06
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Vendor

Paddles are for girls

If I had 600 ponies I'd still want 200 more. But bottom line is all of these have plenty enough power to get into trouble with. You could eat me on the track but I'll draw a bigger crowd at any cars and coffee

Not that I don't love Vette's, that's probably the best overall performance bang for the buck that exists, but 95% of all the Vettes I see are driven by 60+ year olds in the slow lane doing 65, which is just a waste of it's ability.

And, why would it be a weekend toy? Toys should be played with every day if you want to have the biggest smile

Last edited by Rich; 09-17-2017 at 02:25 PM.
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's not safe to use a Smart car to it's fullest potential on public roads, so whatever you drive you can drive as unsafely as anything else. But I can guarantee a true sports car is much safer than a Buick at the same speeds, just the hyper car can go twice as fast
Absolutely, I'd rather not have smart cars on the road at all! My point was that there's a certain fun from working the engine and rowing through the gears to get there, In a reasonably powerful car that you just can't do (here anyway) if you've got insane amounts of power, simply because those cars are so fast you'd lose your licence in no time at all.

To follow on from what you said, manual gearboxes are nowadays slower than a clever automatic, but autos are generally regarded as nowhere near as much fun. There's a difference between the car going fast and driving the car fast
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:32 PM
Vendor

Paddles will shift miliseconds faster and can be very engaging to those that just can't be bothered to work out your left quad while driving in traffic, but the cars are fast enough that a couple miliseconds doesn't outweigh the fun of driving the car. I turn the traction control off as soon as I start the car, I never want the car driving me, I'm driving my car.

And you forget I spent 30 days on the bench for my last 106 in a 65 transgression [and that was in a rental Focus!]. I couldn't believe I got a warning for doing 86 in a 65, I was sitting there thinking "yea, this is going to cost a grand"
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Vendor

It's stupid but I wrote it up to send to my BFF in Florida.

I was coming back from Baltimore on I95, in the Express lanes, I see the motorcycle cop under an overpass, and I see him start to pull the bike up off the kickstand. I knew I was going too fast so after I went by and saw him pull out I pulled right over and as close to the concrete barrier as I felt comfortable without scratching the mirror. "License and registration, not the insurance please", I hand it to him and ask "How fast was I going?" - "86 in a 65" - "Ouch, but, yea, that's about right, I don't even feel it in this thing. This is the first time I've been pulled over in this car, and I've had it almost a year!"

He goes back to the bike, and it's longer than usual but finally comes walking back and as he hands me the paper - "This is a warning [as my eyes light up in disbelief], this is the express lane, not the Autobahn" - "You're a prince, I can't thank you enough sir, and I will keep it down, I promise!" - "You pulled right over and didn't give me any BS" [the worst thing you can say is "I wasn't speeding!"] then - "We don't get many Astons around here. You get this in Newport Beach?" [original dealer plate surround] - "Why no, that's where James Bond got the car" and I opened the door so he could see the signed sill plates - "Oh I've got to get a picture of that!" as he produces his phone already on camera in a split second. - "You don't have any machine guns in there I should know about?" - "Why no officer, none that I can tell you about!" as I wink. He walked away laughing.

30 miles down the road, just driving with the flow of traffic now, I've learned my lesson, today, but out of nowhere [because I'm very aware of all my surroundings when driving and this was out of nowhere] I've got a black Explorer filling my rear view. Is that an unmarked??? Sure looks like an unmarked, as he creeps closer and closer, now he's flat on my bumper! Just as fast, brakes hard, pulls left and into one of the big U Turn spots, and yes, the most plain Jane unmarked Explorer I've ever seen!

My bet, the first cop got on the radio and said "I just pulled over James Bonds Aston, he's heading North on 95", and another tracked me down just to have a look!
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

Bugatti has built two modern day cars: the Veyron and now the Chiron. When the Veyron was first released, it was truly a "value automobile." The price was $1 million, but each Veyron cost Bugatti $3 million to build once you take R&D into account. You are right, it is not safe to drive 250 mph on public roads. Fortunately, there are very few cars that can achieve those speeds and the same people happen to own them all.

Food for thought: If every Honda Civic (insert normal person car here) were built out of carbon fiber and had a manual transmission it would be incredibly safe, get incredible gas mileage, and people would be forced to focus on the road instead of their phone. Instead, we chose to make electric cars that drive themselves because there are no foreseeable problems on that path.
WMerkert likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode