Buying a camera my first DSLR HELP - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Buying a camera my first DSLR HELP

I am looking to buy my first DSLR. I have a $500 budget and have narrowed it down to two:
Nikon D3000 and Canon Rebel XS They are nearly identical in specs. Can anyone comment on their experience with either or both? I am looking for a camera that does well indoors and close-up detail. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Re: Buying a camera my first DSLR HELP

dude, this is a guitar forum! LOL.

I use Pentax, so won't comment on either. Be ready to have a different kind of GAS

I did check online for you (lol, had time)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1170143AAOXaZC

This is interesting from a "specs" point of view

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...vs-Nikon_D3000

lol 169 vs 162 lens options... its like pickups!

In reviews it seems the Rebel gets better ratings more consistently.

Glen will probably pop by soon

Last edited by Ibateur; 05-24-2011 at 12:27 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 PM

I am sure Glen will drop in, but I highly recommend the Nikon myself.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Cheap nikon 3000 with CCD sensor is one to pass on.

If you are starting fresh and have friends or family with Nikon or Canon lenses i'd go with that brand for the ability to share & try lenses. Get better than the D3000 though. Assuming that is not the case i'd go with Canon and straight here for a factory refurbish. Add Mack warranty (under $40) if you want and you'll have 3-5 year extended warranty thru legitimate people.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs..._lowPrice_list

XS w/ lens $399
XSi (better camera) with or without 8-55IS kit lens is $419/$499.
If you can swing a T1i it's a better camera and digic4 & HD video.

If you have an old canon camera (any type film or digital but not camcorder) ask about the canon loyalty program for 20% off price (you'll have to send in the old camera prepaid by canon)
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051&langId=-1
... glen
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM

I ended up buying a refurbished canon T1i from adorama. I paid $550 but I think they are sold out on that site. But you could hunt around online for something simillar.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...sku=ICADRT1IKR

I took some pictures with it recently.. look at post #127 or later on page 9 on the thread below

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/ng...-109087-9.html

Here is one of the shots.........

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

adorama is a great place to buy (except you pay tax in nj/ny) but refurb stock is really low due to the disasters in Japan. You can search Adorama refurbs here:
http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/de...p_price_sort|1

Canon Direct seems to be getting them more frequently (probably from service centers in USA) bypassing Adorama, etc... glen
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. My head was starting to swim from reading so much about cameras LOL!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

I decided on the Canon Rebel XS
Thanks again for the help!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:17 PM

Better of the two.

Now. Lenses.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM

The XS is a good choice but I would consider the Pentax K-x also. I know Canon has more pro lenses but there are plenty of very good third party lenses for the Pentax.
I think for the average consumer the Pentax K-x is a very good deal.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 04:18 PM

Reviews: 13

I would go with either Canon or , nothing else - the lens range (different types not distance) and interchangeability within both brands should be an important consideration. Nikon will go back further with lens interchangeablity than Canon. Again, either of these two brands are sound.

-Wolfram
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
The XS is a good choice but I would consider the Pentax K-x also. I know Canon has more pro lenses but there are plenty of very good third party lenses for the Pentax.
I think for the average consumer the Pentax K-x is a very good deal.
Especially now with the K-r out. You can get a K-x at B&H for 469

Wolfram's point is clear though. Canikon have far more lens options available than Pentax. I'm not complaining with my K-5 though. I have all I need at the moment.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

most people don't use many lenses, especially old film lenses. Pentax is a good deal - and dSLR at $500 is fantastic for the price but imho not worth investing in regarding learning curve, controls, software, etc. The Rebel or cheap Nikons offer upgrade-ability if one wanted to buy a decent lens they can be confident when buying a body upgrade. They'll also fetch more on e-bay, used, etc. since they're more popular... glen
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 05:08 AM

Reviews: 34

I have the Nikon D3000, and a friend of mine has the Canonn 450d (which I think is the Rebel in the US???)

I had the same dilemma in terms of choice when I bought mine. Two things swung it for me.

1. Price, the Nikon was actually cheaper and I couldn't really afford the Canon. I am not a pro photographer by any stretch of the imagination so I couldn't justify the extra expense.
2. I prefer the positioning of the controls on the Nikon. That is a really big deal for me and I knew I would find the Canon irritating.

In hindsight I should probably have bought the Canon. I think that the image quality is slightly better, and I think the build quality is slightly better. The Nikon isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but the Canon also has more features (live view and movies if I remember correctly).

In terms of indoor photography the nikon is not that great. I have trouble getting the lighting right for guitar pictures for example. The built in flash is pretty pants. I don't have the cash to get the proper gun but it is a no brainer if you are doing loads of indoor shooting.

Close up shooting is fine. I bought a Tamron 70-300 lens with a macro function. It is pretty good, but because of the focal length you still need to stand well over a metre away. Not great if you are looking down on the subject. I have done a lot of close up shooting of flowers for a plant catalogue and the kit 18-55 lens works absolutely fine.

Probably the best situation I have found for the Nikon was taking pictures at the British Grand Prix. I got some excellent shots that I am really happy with.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 AM
site founder 0% owner

you can thank the CCD sensor for that. Remember the 70-300 is 106-456 nikon film equivalent meaning it's pretty long indoors plus it's what f4.5 or higher. Also it can obscure the built-in flash. The cheapest nikon iTTL speedlight such as SB-400 would improve the indoor pics and that one supports bounce, might want to look into it... glen

Tags
camera , canon , lens , nikon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode