Buying guitars to beat inflation? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Buying guitars to beat inflation?

So,

I, like many of you, have money sat in the bank (ISA), probably depreciating as the months and years go by due to inflation. I was wondering then, is buying guitars a good alternative investment to say leaving the money in an ISA with a crappy 2% interest rate?

It seems to me with the way the economy is worldwide, savers arnt being rewarded - so why keep money in the bank? My question to you guys is, do you think higher end guitars are a good place to invest your money long term?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Buying guitars to beat inflation?

Personally, I've taken a major beating financially over the last few years. The problem is that my guitars have all seemed to depreciate as well. Also, as I found out the hard way, watching a guitar fall over into your prize guitar is VERY similar to watching the markets drop 1200 points in a flash (except that I have FAR less of an affection for my money).
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Damn, I was hopeing you guys would think it was a good idea :O)
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:03 PM

If you buy the right guitar, sure it's a good idea. The catch is that you can't possibly know which guitar is the right one. A '54 Fender or a '59 Les Paul might be safe bets, if you can afford them you wouldn't have to care about value. For Ibanez guitars... There are only a handful I can think of that might give you spare change after a sale. The RG Egypt, have we heard of one? I seem to remember it took Rich a lot of time to convince the former owner to sell it. I doubt the current owner would sell for just anything, even it it's more than he paid. Affection > monetary value.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 PM

I don't think its a bad idea............. but it would require an investment that cannot be recouped. You'll need a temp/humidity controlled environment with no/low UV light (think Steve Vai's guitar vault), Then you'll have to maintain that space for a possibly VERY long time.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
but it would require an investment that cannot be recouped.
The interior of any occupied home would suffice.

Choosing the right pieces to invest in is the trick. Even Bursts took a big hit in this economy. Although DNA's [among others] haven't from what I've seen
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The interior of any occupied home would suffice.

Choosing the right pieces to invest in is the trick. Even Bursts took a big hit in this economy. Although DNA's [among others] haven't from what I've seen
If only that were true.............. I have a small 3 bed home in which 5 adults, 3 cats, 2 large dogs, and 2 cocatiels reside. and every other weekend we go to 7 adults....lol. Nothing is safe in this home, especially sanity!!! To be serious though, I truly believe that a "Humidor" type of room would be the only sensible way to store high-end/rare instruments for 20yrs plus.....
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Vendor

If it's good for humans it's good for guitars. I've got guitars that have been stored 15 years, no sharp fret ends, no issues.

Temper that by location. If you live in extremely dry climates ie. Vegas, yes, I would do something about humidity.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
If it's good for humans it's good for guitars. I've got guitars that have been stored 15 years, no sharp fret ends, no issues.

Temper that by location. If you live in extremely dry climates ie. Vegas, yes, I would do something about humidity.
that's unexpectedly cool..... Have you adjusted your HVAC usage over the years to accomodate for the guitars at all........... and your right about locale, I assume that the temp/humidity extremes that we experience here in Chicago are similar to what you have there in NJ, but because we are sitting geographically right on top of one of the largest hard clay deposits on the planet, there is no place for water to go but up. Our humidity levels are usually not too extreme, but they're so constant they have to be taken into account. My mistake is in assuming that same scenario for everyone.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Vendor

The only thing I do is keep it comfortable for me
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Cool......... I pretty much do the same for mine, except I have silica packs in all of my cases. none of my guitars are high dollar or collectors though
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:30 PM

No. If financial gain is all you are after there are much better things to invest in than guitars.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Vendor

Name 2
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Name 2
ummmmm............... Women and beer??????
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Vendor

One will make you pee, the other will piss you off!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode