buying guitars from u.s.a - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

buying guitars from u.s.a

has anyone have any experiance of buy from the u.s.a.the price of jems here in the uk is outrageous.example bad horsie here in uk 1500 u.s.a price round about $2000 at the most.is it not cheaper to buy from the states,how much is shipping is there any hidden fees ie taxes ect.thanks rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 06:00 AM

Re: buying guitars from u.s.a

Yeh tons of experience, it's best if you buy from a seller who you can put trust in and feel comfortable with. I am getting a 20th from the US soon, not mentioning no names his head is big enough already

If you look at the US bay there are JEM BRMR's all over the place, if you get one for an average price of $1750 then expect to pay around 200 when it goes through UK customs, then on top of that is your shipping fees about another 100.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Banned

nice one davey.you will ding dang do for me .just one more question how do you pay if you havent got a paypal account.can you send a cheque ??? postal order made out in dollars????.that 200 you mentioned who do you pay that to the courier service ???.sorry but im green as grass its all new to me.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion_and_Warfare View Post
Yeh tons of experience, it's best if you buy from a seller who you can put trust in and feel comfortable with. I am getting a 20th from the US soon, not mentioning no names his head is big enough already
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
nice one davey.you will ding dang do for me .just one more question how do you pay if you havent got a paypal account.can you send a cheque ??? postal order made out in dollars????.that 200 you mentioned who do you pay that to the courier service ???.sorry but im green as grass its all new to me.
The 200 will be paid to Customs, usually paid via the courier company.

In the case of Parcel Force, they'll hold the parcel at your local depot and send you a letter asking for the duty and will release it after you've paid the duty charges.

If you want to purchase from overseas you could pay via Western Union (not my first choice I'd have to say), bank transfer, International Money Orders, credit card, PayPal, even cash, should be totally reckless

My favoured payment choice is credit card via PayPal.

PayPal because it seems everyone and their dog uses PayPal and using the credit card as your payment source for PayPal transactions as your credit card company covers you should yout get stiffed.

I've been stiffed three times and on two occasions PayPal have done fook all, so I set my card company on them and they had my cash back on my card within 30 days.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaKing View Post
The 200 will be paid to Customs, usually paid via the courier company.

In the case of Parcel Force, they'll hold the parcel at your local depot and send you a letter asking for the duty and will release it after you've paid the duty charges.

If you want to purchase from overseas you could pay via Western Union (not my first choice I'd have to say), bank transfer, International Money Orders, credit card, PayPal, even cash, should be totally reckless

My favoured payment choice is credit card via PayPal.

PayPal because it seems everyone and their dog uses PayPal and using the credit card as your payment source for PayPal transactions as your credit card company covers you should yout get stiffed.

I've been stiffed three times and on two occasions PayPal have done fook all, so I set my card company on them and they had my cash back on my card within 30 days.
thanks for the advice lads.hey tequilaking thats bad **** mate pleased you got your coin back.i dont have a credit card (im out of work).if someone bumped me id be mortified.think ill sick to uk buying (no disrespect to the good traders across the pond).i bought 2 jems of passion n warefare,went to his house both times to pick guitars up.i dont trust anyone but dave is a sound trader,doesnt like putting the kettle on though hehehe
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 12:45 PM

I'm getting a guitar from the big USA soon, im from holland and the priceses are horrible here too.

I still save some money buying from USA totaling all the expenses, but not much.

maybe you could check rich his site, there's a lot of info on there (like shipping costs, fees etc etc).

Hopefully i helped ya a little.

Greetz jorn.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EconoJ View Post
I'm getting a guitar from the big USA soon, im from holland and the priceses are horrible here too.

I still save some money buying from USA totaling all the expenses, but not much.

maybe you could check rich his site, there's a lot of info on there (like shipping costs, fees etc etc).

Greetz jorn.
yep nice one bud.i would have no hesitation buying from rich,never heard a bad word about the guy.but with me not having a credit card,looks like a no goer
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Greetz jorn.
Expect 25% of the total amount tax. It's ridiculous, but you can't do **** about it.

Cheers, Sam
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk
but with me not having a credit card
If you have a card of your bank, you can still do a wire transfer, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa
Expect 25% of the total amount tax
It's a lot of money, but im still saving a couple dollars.
With or without the tax you still got a nice guitar
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 03:08 PM

There is the big risk of asking the seller to declare a low customs value, but it is a big risk and if something happens to the guitar, your basically and this is the only way can say it "Fu*ked".
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM

You can only hope it arrives in 1 piece. Insure it, but it wouldnt take away the damage.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
It's a lot of money, but im still saving a couple dollars.
With or without the tax you still got a nice guitar
For arguments sake:

Example 1

2200,- for a new Jem 7VWH local in the Netherlands
$ 3000,- for a Rich Jem 7VWH with superiour set-up ( 1800 )

Shipping costs about $ 250 ( 150 )

25% tax of 1950 = 487,50.

That makes a little more that 2400,-

Example 2

Ibanez Jem 7VWH used $ 1400,- ( 854,-)
Shipping costs about $ 250 ( 150 )

That would make about 1000,- with tax about 1250.

Also, an the dutch used marketsites tou can get a Jem for as low as 850,-

It doesn't matter that much..

Cheers, Sam
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned

sounds like by the time you pay taxes,shipping your not that much better off.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 AM

BROSA, You got a point there.

I dont know what a second hand jem costs, so i leave myself out of that.

Tags
ibanez jem , jem brmr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode