Buying from Japan - Page 3 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 AM

Re: Buying from Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I agree, you can't just lump all "Asian" guitars into one category. Japanese made guitars have always been good quality, with Korean not far behind (from my experiences with a few guitars). The rest are hit and miss, best to put your hands on the instrument before buying if possible.
This is true, however each different manufacturer does produce high-end guitars that are uniformly excellent, you do get what you pay for up to a certain point.

I had a Korean BC Rich Assassin which played superbly and sounded terrific but the neck simply WOULD NOT stay put, constant truss rod tweaks drove me mad, none of my Japanese guitars (I have 20+) need touching once set up. I live in the southern UK so the climate is mild and a quality guitar should not need ongoing setup work once it's dialled-in.
I think it's down to timber selection rather than manufacturing quality, most of my early Japanese guitars have quartersawn maple necks which are generally extremely stable once set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
This is true, however each different manufacturer does produce high-end guitars that are uniformly excellent, you do get what you pay for up to a certain point.

I had a Korean BC Rich Assassin which played superbly and sounded terrific but the neck simply WOULD NOT stay put, constant truss rod tweaks drove me mad, none of my Japanese guitars (I have 20+) need touching once set up. I live in the southern UK so the climate is mild and a quality guitar should not need ongoing setup work once it's dialled-in.
I think it's down to timber selection rather than manufacturing quality, most of my early Japanese guitars have quartersawn maple necks which are generally extremely stable once set.
Except that isn't true at ALL. I've played 3 indo ibbies, an AT10PWH, one of the RGD fan fret, and a premium AZ that were absolutely UGH (The only 1 playable of the 3 was the AT10P). Frets sticking out all over the place, nuts improperly cut, buzzing all over the fingerboard, and that was just the AZ.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Except that isn't true at ALL. I've played 3 indo ibbies, an AT10PWH, one of the RGD fan fret, and a premium AZ that were absolutely UGH (The only 1 playable of the 3 was the AT10P). Frets sticking out all over the place, nuts improperly cut, buzzing all over the fingerboard, and that was just the AZ.
I have heard that Ibanez has quality issues at their Indonesian factory, however I'm really referring to Asian manufacturers who make many different brands, these factories are capable producing good quality instruments but you do have to pay more, PRS SE, Sterling by Musicman, Eastwood guitars etc.
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:01 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Yep, and I stand by my comments. There was a time for about a year or two where almost every live stream Jeff managed to throw shade at "Asian" guitars. He took a picture of Ibanez guys looking at his basses a few years ago and acted like they were stealing "his" designs. So yeah, he deserves as much shade as he gets.
Obviously you weren't going to change your mind
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Obviously you weren't going to change your mind
Of course not

But yeah, work has kept me busy, plus pushing my diet harder (I was WAYYYY too big) and now that my recital is over, I am focusing on playing my ibbies almost exclusively. I still think my rg550rf and rgr580 are the two best Ibbies i've ever played.
jemsite likes this.
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post

Yes, I guess it comes down to the wood and the luthier in the end. A couple of nice Korean made guitars were a mid-90's Squire strat I used to have (traded for a 1969 Triumph Daytona motor) and an SZ320 that I still have. Day to day I have to tweak the tuning on the SZ, not as stable as a Les Paul... but I live in Kansas and we get the worst temp and humidity swings. Hot humid summers and bitter cold winters... whatever the wind blows in.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Of course not

But yeah, work has kept me busy, plus pushing my diet harder (I was WAYYYY too big) and now that my recital is over, I am focusing on playing my ibbies almost exclusively. I still think my rg550rf and rgr580 are the two best Ibbies i've ever played.

Always good to get in better shape, it bleeds over into many aspects of life both mental and physical. Your comment about playing Ibbies again reminded me of the last time I took a few lessons from a local guy. I kept taking a different guitar to the lessons and he finally told me to quit jacking around with so many different guitars and settle on one "main" guitar when trying to improve my playing. Oh well... I play whatever I'm in the mood to play or whatever the music requires, blues, metal ,etc...
MatiasTolkki and sepulchrave like this.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Always good to get in better shape, it bleeds over into many aspects of life both mental and physical. Your comment about playing Ibbies again reminded me of the last time I took a few lessons from a local guy. I kept taking a different guitar to the lessons and he finally told me to quit jacking around with so many different guitars and settle on one "main" guitar when trying to improve my playing. Oh well... I play whatever I'm in the mood to play or whatever the music requires, blues, metal ,etc...
I've been told the same thing. My problem is that I need to use other guitars because of tuning. I play mostly in Eb, and while practicing at home I can downtune or uptune songs to fit Eb tuning, it's not as easy when going out. I noticed now that I'm free to play whatever I want, my 580 and 550 are the ones I got to the most, and they feel quite different due to the necks and AANJ vs Square heel. I'm used to square heel now and it makes me regret selling my 3770DX a couple years ago to fund that horrid E-II SV i bought.
FireEagle likes this.
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:52 AM

Speaking of “Buying From Japan,” I found a bag of money (old currency from around the world) and inside were some yen coins of various denominations. The yen look quite nice.It does not amount to much but it is interesting to see old (and new) currency from other countries that I’ve never been to, and some that I have. The bag belonged to my grandfather who was a pilot and travelled quite a bit in case you were wondering where one finds a bag of money.
MatiasTolkki and Hoseki like this.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Speaking of “Buying From Japan,” I found a bag of money (old currency from around the world) and inside were some yen coins of various denominations. The yen look quite nice.It does not amount to much but it is interesting to see old (and new) currency from other countries that I’ve never been to, and some that I have. The bag belonged to my grandfather who was a pilot and travelled quite a bit in case you were wondering where one finds a bag of money.
Sadly, there isnt a big coin collecting community over here or those coins might be worth something. Might be worth more outside Japan tbh, not sure though.
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 02:15 AM
Vendor

Of course I used to buy alot of guitars from Japan before their pricing went crazy, and with buying anything used you never know what you'll end up cleaning out of the case, but this pack was in a gig bag, no recollection of what model it was, but I've been using the "nickels" as ball markers for years [I've lost a couple along the way, but I have more LOL]

The 4567 was the total count in Yen, which at the time was about $50.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Speaking of “Buying From Japan,” I found a bag of money (old currency from around the world) and inside were some yen coins of various denominations.
I had a similar moment a couple years ago when I found some old envelopes from Japan (they tend to in cash, inserted into a special money envelope) and thought I should throw them away. First thought thought I should read any notes still inside though, and one of the notes was three Japanese hundred dollar bills! Happy find for sure!
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
I had a similar moment a couple years ago when I found some old envelopes from Japan (they tend to in cash, inserted into a special money envelope) and thought I should throw them away. First thought thought I should read any notes still inside though, and one of the notes was three Japanese hundred dollar bills! Happy find for sure!
3 ten thousand yen bills? I hate you lol
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:23 PM

I am not quite as wealthy. 374 yen in total.

2x 100's
1x 50
12x 10's
4x 1's

The bag contained coins from 19 countries and bills from a few more. An eclectic collection of old currency. No "Buffalo Nickels" unfortunately.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
3 ten thousand yen bills? I hate you lol
What, I worked for it.

Tags
ibanez japan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode