Buying from Japan - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Buying from Japan

I've never bought a guitar from overseas before... I know there are certain CITES implications currently. Something else strange caught my eye today and I've seen it before with guitars from Japan. I've been checking out Ibanez guitars with H-S or H-S-S pickup configuration and noticed two particular auctions, #183352293048 and #263601675918 on the most popular auction site. A quick look at the photos up close show the serial number to be the same on both... so two separate auctions with two separate "buy it now" prices for the same guitar. What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Vendor

Re: Buying from Japan

Ignore anything listed on ebay from Japan. You'll see the same guitar listed 20 times by 20 different sellers.

One of your sellers has 9700 listings and the other 6500. There is no guitar dealer in the world with 6500 guitars in stock.

They take any guitar listed on any of the japanese dealers websites and they relist them on ebay with a healthy upcharge. Some of those could be years old, it's not like anybody is keeping track if any of their 9700 listings have been sold, until somebody buys it and they have to.

I've seen some listing flat out say the guitar shown may not be the one you receive.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich... Way too suspicious to bid on, but I had to ask.
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ignore anything listed on ebay from Japan. You'll see the same guitar listed 20 times by 20 different sellers.

One of your sellers has 9700 listings and the other 6500. There is no guitar dealer in the world with 6500 guitars in stock.

They take any guitar listed on any of the japanese dealers websites and they relist them on ebay with a healthy upcharge. Some of those could be years old, it's not like anybody is keeping track if any of their 9700 listings have been sold, until somebody buys it and they have to.

I've seen some listing flat out say the guitar shown may not be the one you receive.
I don't think that it's quite this simple. IF you can figure out who really has the guitar and IF it's a place that is willing and experienced with international buyers, by all means go that route. Like if you can tell that the guitar is at Ikebe or Ishibashi, definitely deal with them directly.

But I've done the math on a few of these and the deals aren't always awful. I've found a couple where you're basically paying a $150 brokerage fee. If you're buying through eBay, all the protection is on your side. And if they're sourcing from somewhere that would be tough for you to work with, that fee is relatively nominal.
scallybert and Hoseki like this.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:06 PM
Vendor

You may have found a couple with a small fee, but that means you had to do all the work to track where the original dealer was and what the actual price is. Usually everything I see listed from japan is way overpriced.

I've bought 2, long ago, but within 3 days the payments were refunded, the guitars were no longer available.

Save the hassle, just buy from Itchy or Ikebe or yahoo and just ignore anything listed on ebay.
Hoseki likes this.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:32 AM

Reviews: 21

Wouldn't it be better just to buy from Ikebe or the like? I've long been tempted to do so but with my luck I envision some horrific customs snafu.
IMO I wouldn't buy control knobs from some of those sketchy OS eBay or Reverb dealers. Just my opinion....
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Wouldn't it be better just to buy from Ikebe or the like? I've long been tempted to do so but with my luck I envision some horrific customs snafu.
IMO I wouldn't buy control knobs from some of those sketchy OS eBay or Reverb dealers. Just my opinion....

They are on Reverb too? Yikes... I never noticed. I'd like to buy locally so I can put my hands on a guitar, but finding an H-S or H-S-S locally hasn't panned out. Maybe I need to try Guitar Center in KC some time. Thanks!
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
They are on Reverb too? Yikes... I never noticed. I'd like to buy locally so I can put my hands on a guitar, but finding an H-S or H-S-S locally hasn't panned out. Maybe I need to try Guitar Center in KC some time. Thanks!
I'm not sure about Reverb but I think I've seen them. I filter out non-US sellers generally. But I think I remember seeing guitars for sale in Japan on eBay also there.
eBay is also becoming s**t. All they care about is if a transaction occurs. In general it's not their responsibility to police these things, yeah, but get stung enough times and people will avoid eBay I'm guessing. And then hit you up with higher fees to boot!
FireEagle likes this.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:02 PM
Vendor

ebay had to respond to Reverb and lower their final value fees to match, it is 3% for musical instruments.
mike570 likes this.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I've bought two guitars from Japan but both were pre-CITES, including one from Ikebe. They could not have been easier to work with and the guitar showed up in like three days. The only scary part was that the guitar was just left in my driveway. This was a J Custom too, not something cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
ebay had to respond to Reverb and lower their final value fees to match, it is 3% for musical instruments.
It's unfortunately probably too little too late for them on this, because this doesn't seem to be widely known. Which is too bad for sellers because I think there's still a way bigger pool of potential buyers on eBay.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
The only scary part was that the guitar was just left in my driveway. This was a J Custom too, not something cheap.
Holy smokes!!!!
Let me guess? USPS? This really can't be Ikebe's fault. Hahahaha! (Funny but also very not funny.)
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Holy smokes!!!!
Let me guess? USPS? This really can't be Ikebe's fault. Hahahaha! (Funny but also very not funny.)
Well they ship EMS, which is why it's only 3 days. But yeah that means ultimately delivered by USPS, so complete ****show. And there wasn't tracking past it leaving Japan, so I didn't really know it was delivered until I came home to find it.

I once had a guitar delivered when I was out of town (mixup with shipper) and I couldn't divert it to the local post office for some reason, so I tried entering special instructions to leave it on my back porch. Nope, left at front door. USPS is such a massively dysfunctional organization, I have a hard time feeling bad about their financial struggles.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:53 AM

Yeah i severely dislike USPS. When our first daughter was born the complex we were living at was redoing the parking lot around the mailboxes. So, our postman up and decided to not deliver mail even weeks after the work was completed apparently. Mind you we still had bills coming in from the first born!
Then more recently there was a nice big heavy package from Amazon Prime that showed up on our door. Probably a gaming console. The only thing our address had in common with the one on the box was the street name. Different street number. Different apartment number. I googled it and it was for an apartment up the street. I dropped it off at their complex office.
Talk about DGAF Mode!
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 09:48 AM

Our mail carriers are super nice, but the whole system just doesn't work well. Lots of Amazon packages end up coming through USPS and the "tracking" is a joke. Things are marked delivered hours or even the day before they're delivered to my house. I asked the carrier once when I was freaked out about something that had been marked delivered and he explained that they mark them all as delivered at the post office before doing their route, because they have no way to do realtime tracking like UPS or FedEx. So basically, if the package doesn't end up getting delivered you're screwed because the tracking claims that it was.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
...more recently there was a nice big heavy package from Amazon Prime that showed up on our door. Probably a gaming console. The only thing our address had in common with the one on the box was the street name. Different street number. Different apartment number. I googled it and it was for an apartment up the street. I dropped it off at their complex office.
Talk about DGAF Mode!
I was working on a friend's house around Christmas and found a package on their porch (which had the address clearly visible on the porch post) that was addressed for a block away. Came back the week after Christmas and there were five more packages for the same address and the people were in panic mode reporting their Christmas gifts as missing.

The only good news is that I think that driver got fired.
mike570 likes this.

Tags
ibanez japan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode