California moves to legalize pot! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

California moves to legalize pot!

Got this in an email today from NORML (yeah, I get emails from NORML ):

"Speaking at a landmark press conference today, California Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco) introduced comprehensive legislation to tax and regulate the commercial production and sale of cannabis in a manner similar to alcohol.

"With the state in the midst of an historic economic crisis, the move towards regulating and taxing marijuana is simply common sense. This legislation would generate much needed revenue for the state, restrict access to only those over 21, end the environmental damage to our public lands from illicit crops, and improve public safety by redirecting law enforcement efforts to more serious crimes", Assemblyman Ammiano said. "California has the opportunity to be the first state in the nation to enact a smart, responsible public policy for the control and regulation of marijuana."

The proposal is the first marijuana legalization bill ever introduced in California.

"It's time for California taxpayers to stop wasting money trying to enforce marijuana prohibition, and to realize the tax benefits from a legal, regulated market instead," said Dale Gieringer, director of California NORML, a sponsor of the bill.

As introduced, Ammiano's measure would allow for the licensed production and sale of cannabis to consumers age 21 and over. Licensed cultivators would pay an excise tax of $50 per ounce of cannabis. In addition, the proposal would impose a sales tax on commercial sales. (Ammiano's proposal would not affect the state's medical marijuana law, allowing patients and caregivers to grow their own medicine.)

If enacted, the measure would raise over $1 billion per year in state revenue, according to an economic analysis by California NORML, available online here: http://www.canorml.org/background/CA_legalization2.html

Ammiano's bill comes at a time of growing public support for legalizing marijuana. A recent Zogby poll reported that nearly six in ten west coast voters support taxing and regulating marijuana like alcohol. Faced with a $40 billion budget deficit, other public officials have joined in endorsing Ammiano's bill, including San Francisco Sheriff Mike Hennessy and Betty Yee, a member of the State Board of Equalization, which oversees collection of sales taxes.

Currently, tens of millions of dollars are paid annually in state and local taxes by licensed distributors of medical marijuana. However, these sales only represent a fraction of the overall statewide marijuana market. "The millions of dollars raised each on the sales of medicinal cannabis is only the tip of the iceberg," Gieringer said. "Kudos to Assemblyman Ammiano for proposing a path-breaking bill that would benefit our economy, safety and freedom by making marijuana a winning proposition for California."

Obama has already said he would have the DEA back off the pot distribution places in California, and allow the States to make up their own laws concerning marijuana, so if if this passes and Obama keeps it's word, CA could have totally legal pot by the end of the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 AM

Re: California moves to legalize pot!

You know what? I don't smoke pot and think this is a great idea. The reasons against such a move remind me of the prohibition arguments- it's time to move on.
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:44 AM

Reviews: 2

I'm another guy who doesn't smoke...anything. I to think pot should be legalised. Wish Canada would get their act together. Every study I've ever heard of that was done within 20 years has pretty much said that weed is less dangerous than either alchohol or tabacco so what the hell? And taxing it just makes sense. Plus it would be safer than people buying random **** on the street from some random dude.
post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:48 AM

Selling/smoking weed (marijuana)/hash has been somewhat legal here in the Netherlands (for those who don't know, that's a genuine country in Europe with Amsterdam as capitol ). It's probably hard to know for sure, but I do think that there are less drug related problems over here thanks to that. There are hardly any meth problems, probably because it's cheaper to just buy some pot in a coffeeshop (the name for the places where you can buy cannabis over here).
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM

It is there largest produced plant.
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Legalizing it (or 'decriminalizing' if that sounds more palatable ) is so long overdue it is ridiculous.
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

i used to smoke pot years ago but stopped when my son was born.im not sure about legalizing it.i know its not a heavy duty class a drug,but it still can cause a lot of mental heath problems.this stuff is best left alone and shouldnt be legalized.dont give me a hard time on my opinion because everyones different
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
i used to smoke pot years ago but stopped when my son was born.im not sure about legalizing it.i know its not a heavy duty class a drug,but it still can cause a lot of mental heath problems.this stuff is best left alone and shouldnt be legalized.dont give me a hard time on my opinion because everyones different
I won't give you a hard time, because I see your point too. But there are lots of legal things that can screw with your mental health. Look at what playing/buying/fixing guitars has done to all of us here...
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
I won't give you a hard time, because I see your point too. But there are lots of legal things that can screw with your mental health. Look at what playing/buying/fixing guitars has done to all of us here...
hahahaha yeah.quality
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:21 PM

Just like my country. Excellent choice.
post #11 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:52 PM

I kind of have mixed feelings...

I don't think there's anything wrong with responsible people smoking the occasional "joint". So in light of that, I think the legalization is cool.

But I think the majority of the weed consumers aren't what you'd call responsible people. Based on what I see around me. The whole "21 years and over" thing is a joke; as if the average 21 year old, weed smoking person is responsible.

People should have a licence to "blow". THAT would be a system that would work. They'd have to go to the general practitioner and fill out a form or something. That would be more effective than a minimal age requirement. I mean really.

"Weed" is trouble when used irresponsibly. So in light of that I'm not thrilled about the legalization.
post #12 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
People should have a licence to "blow". THAT would be a system that would work. They'd have to go to the general practitioner and fill out a form or something. That would be more effective than a minimal age requirement. I mean really.

"Weed" is trouble when used irresponsibly. So in light of that I'm not thrilled about the legalization.
I could substitute "firearms", "alcohol" or even "motor vehicles" in your last statement and be just as correct, except people actually die every year in large numbers from the misuse of those things.

And, they already have that 'get a note from your doctor' bit in California

When you get to the 20 million arrests mark, like we have in the US, and you are making ZERO headway in the 'war on drugs' and now better that 25% of the States have decriminalized it for medicinal use, it's time to change the laws. (Forget the fact that the last three Presidents have admitted to pot use, or that the last two have admitted to cocaine use.) True, most states don't have the unique set of circumstances California has, but someone has to go first. Legalizing alcohol in 1935 didn't destroy the US or its economy, this won't either.
post #13 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Banned

another thing.if they legalize pot that means you will be able to buy it from stores ect.also the price would go sky high,not that i care i dont live in the u.s.a neither do i smoke dope.also if its legalized kids will think well its legal so its ok to smoke it.theres a lot of good points legalizing dope but theres also bad points.
post #14 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
another thing.if they legalize pot that means you will be able to buy it from stores ect.also the price would go sky high,not that i care i dont live in the u.s.a neither do i smoke dope.also if its legalized kids will think well its legal so its ok to smoke it.theres a lot of good points legalizing dope but theres also bad points.
You can, right now, buy cigarettes and alcohol from stores. The price is "sky high" depending entirely upon subjective price points. What's sky high for you might not be for me. I believe (not sure, I don't live in CA) that medicinal pot is about 400 an ounce in CA right now. Alcohol and cigarettes, as I mentioned, are legal and I don't see tons of kids thinking its fine to just do it whenever/wherever. Due to the laws in place it's often difficult for them to get it in any quantity. Also, some parents who both drink and smoke themselves have managed to get their children to believe that both smoking and drinking aren't for children. I could see that model expanding to pot. The 'bad points' are based almost entirely upon supposition, and leave out all the bad points we currently know to exist, like the aforementioned complete failure of any law enforcement agency to stop it, curtail it, or get rid of it. President Carter's sons smoked it in the White House in the 70's, remember. It has been around for a while now, and never should have been made illegal in the first place, but the growing liquor industry pushed for it immediately after prohibition was lifted.

Out of curiosity, did you look at the link in the first post at all?

http://www.canorml.org/background/CA_legalization2.html
post #15 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM

Amsterdam, hey...now that sounds a cool place to visit

It isn't actually "legal" in the Netherlands though, is it?? It's tolerated in small amounts. Coffeeshops are only supposed to have a certain amount on the premises, only allowed to sell in certain quantities and people are only supposed to have carry a certain amount on them!! If in breach....penalties can be harsh!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

bridge moves when bending
how much+ship guitar nc to california

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode