Camera Thoughts - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Camera Thoughts

As many of you may have noticed, I have been taking more and more of an interest in photography...so I finally have a little money and am looking at upgrading my camera. (I have a Minolta point and shoot 3.2 mp right now).

I know I want an SLR, so I can grow into it a little as I learn and from what Ive seen Canon seems to be the way most of you photo gurus lean toward.
So my question is would this be a good entry level SLR camera:
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=351011

Or should I just look around for a used higher end model? (I must admit, buying used makes me a little nervous)I have about a $1000 budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 PM

Re: Camera Thoughts

I recommend the original Canon Digital Rebel XT, not the XTI version, because really, the XTI version only has a very few newly updated things, and the XT is a great camera for a very inexpensive price right now, and since you are just starting its great for how much its worth right now.
I would recommend just the body and getting a separate lens, cause the lens that comes with the Rebel XT has not so great reviews, and then you need an SD card with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-.../dp/B0007QKN22

Theres a nice deal at this site:

http://www.digicombos.com/product_p/cnxt1855gb1nf.htm

^ That pack will give you everything you need to go, and you can upgrade the lens later on really, you don't need to do it right away.
Hope this helps
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:20 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

imho Canon is a no-brainer here. Can't be touched at the price and alot of good lenses used and new.

I'd highly recommend a refurbished unit from Adorama (major, online reliable retailer) or elsewhere to save $$$. What is nice is the canon refurbs are eligible for Mack extended warranties so you can extend the camera a few years for cheap (helps resale).

here is the Rebel XTi in black, body only $519
http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXTIBR.html

The camera i'd consider (and recommend) the EOS-20D. Adorama had them for months for $719 but it's not listed now. That has a bigger body for a more comfortable grip along with a few extra features such as better viewfinder, ISO3200 capable, magnesium alloy (not plastic) body, more control buttons, etc. It's a better camera overall even though the 20D is a bit older and 2MP less (8 vs 10) and smaller LCD screen AND heavier. You might want to handle them in the store the 20D is identical in feel to the 30D and close to the new 40D.

20D detailed review
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS20D/page2.asp

XTi (400D named overseas) detailed review:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/page2.asp

search adorama canon refurbs here:
http://www.adorama.com/refby.tpl?ref...d%20By%20Canon

This e-bay reseller has alot of canon refurbs and gets good marks. they have a 20D for $645 BIN. item # 230181544551 + S/H

These prices make buying the older XT pointless imho.

Regardless of the body you then need a lens. Lots of choices here you'll probalby want a walkaround zoom and maybe fast prime... can be done and stay under $1k total.

I think the better "kit" lens is perhaps a no-brainer at $110 to get you started. it's USM which means ultrasonic motor autofocus so it's smooth & quite & pretty fast focussing

http://www.adorama.com/CA1855AFSR.ht...non&item_no=23

still leaves $$$ for a low-light prime after you shoot a bit. ...glen
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Yep, xti or 20D are both very very nice. I would go with the kit lens, then the 50mm 1.8 ($100.00) and a cheap Tamron or Sigma 75-300mm ($150.00) lens. This will give you a lot to work and learn with for very little money.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 AM

I finally managed to get my dad's old Ricoh from my mother - it was in a cupboard and forgotten about. It's a far better camera than the name suggests and was recommended to him above a Canon (and cost less...); lenses, filters and whatnot included. I now have a great deal of learning to do, having managed to take a grand total of ONE good photo in my life.

Canon seems to be the majority vote here.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 09:49 AM

Canon all the way, but in the end it is what you prefer. i have the Canon 20D and 30D and will be upgrading soon and selling the 20D. the 20D is very nice and not heavy at all. it may be heavier compared to the other bodies...but it's not heavy. it's a great camera, and for the money, will last you a long time! i would get nothing less.

Steve
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

I want to thank everyone for their opinions, It means a lot to me! I ended up buying the XTI kit locally today. Got it and a 1gb card for under $800.
Glen,I like the idea of the refurbished stuff, and have already mentioned to my family that a Christmas gift of a lens or two from there would be much appreciated.

So for now I have my head buried in these books trying to figure out what all these buttons do When I do I'll be sure to post a couple pics!

Thanks again everyone for all your help!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Banned

VERY VERY happy with my Digi Rebel, but then, I already had 35mm Canon lenses that fit on it.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 PM

Very cool, it's an awesome camera. Enjoy it.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:05 AM

Nice, congratz.

@ shredmaster

How much you willing to sell that 20D ?
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:23 AM

whoever is interested, shoot me a price. Rotti was looking at it as well. i need to sell it to cover the cost of the new lens i just picked up so i'm looking to get rid of it soon.
thanks,
steve
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
Very cool, it's an awesome camera. Enjoy it.
Thanks! I will!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:44 PM

I probably can't do the purchase soon as much as I would like to. So if your interested Yousef go for it.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
I probably can't do the purchase soon as much as I would like to. So if your interested Yousef go for it.
I was honestly just wondering how much he would sell it for. I'm currently jobless and have been looking for a part time job for almost a month now.. damnit !
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

As promised my first couple shots with my new camera. Still trying to learn what all the settings do. Think I'm gonna get a book from the library.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode