Can anyone explain this? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone explain this?

Ok, I never used to get spam e-mail and then I sent a guy a message via e-bay with my e-mail address on asking for closer pictures of this guitar. I then get an e-mail from e-bay telling me to cease communication because the guy had been banned from the site (probably because it turned out he was a scammer, which is why I wanted the photos.)

ANYWAY, I'll been getting these crazy e-mails about the stock market ever since then, but more disturbingly, they've recently had weird little stories attached to the bottom of the e-mails and I'm wondering if they have subliminal messages hidden inside them or something.

Check this out...

Quote:
But with Angus Duer, Martindiscovered a new Zenith.
The terrible thing happened when the Board of Regents were beingshown through the campus. Hesgot to have a crib, and take his chance on getting caught with it.
These two beady-eyed guinea pigs, chitteringin a battery jar, would in two days be stiff and dead.
During this year, he hadscarcely seen her.
Martin sank or rose to Clifs buoyancy, while Clif rose orsank to Martins speculativeness. He was an extraordinarilykindly man, this huge and bumbling parson. He was always seeing them emergingat night from the dissecting-room windows.
Why should Imurder him, to teach Dummkopfe?
He came from Back Bay; he was proud of it and letyou know about it.
He took a hypodermic needle from the instrument-bath andlifted the test-tube.
Oh,Lord, I hope I wont take sick, first time I go into thedissecting-room.
Theypanted and grunted and moaned at the labor, and Fatty panted andmoaned with them.
He was an extraordinarilykindly man, this huge and bumbling parson. But theres severalthings you might turn to when you finish science. It was a noisy and rather painful performance, whichincluded smelling asafetida. Gottliebs wise fingers knew when theperitoneal wall was reached. Clif was so noisy thereafter that he almost became tired of his ownnoise.
He said quietly, This poor animal will now soon be deadas Moses. They just want to get theknowledge thatll enable them to cash in.
They just want to get theknowledge thatll enable them to cash in. And do you get any of the medicsstirred up about it?
Aw, gee now, Mart, Fatty Pfaff complained, you oughtnt to cussIra out. Clif was so noisy thereafter that he almost became tired of his ownnoise.
They made perhaps five miles a day; at night they drove into littlerickety wooden towns. Physical chemistry is power, it is exactness, it islife.
Yes, I know; its dreadful the way people dont have ideals abouttheir work. They watched himgo: a balloon on legs, a sausage in corduroy trousers. And Martin resigned from the fraternity withhim, planned to room with him the coming autumn.
He was always seeing them emergingat night from the dissecting-room windows. I wonder if Encore Edwards knows as much as I thought he did? The living-room suggested a recent cyclone. Norman Brumfit, that sprightly Englishinstructor. It is a necessity of the technique, andtechnique, gentlemen, iss the beginning of all science.
One kind theydump on me like a bushel of potatoes. Ill make all the damn racket I damn please!
Weird eh? I've got more of these but with different stories and they all have this weird thing where words are pushed together, which looks to be on purpose.

So, any ideas what these mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:04 AM

Re: Can anyone explain this?

? Never seen anything like that. It could contain a virus, sounds fishy to me.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:09 AM

The weird little storys are there to help beat your spam filter. The more langauge in the email that isn't targeted by your spam filter the more likley it is to get through. I get them all of the time.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:10 AM

Dodgy [email protected]@ds, havent these people got a life. Shoot em all.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

That's really clever, I'd never of thought of that. Having said that, these e-mails are supposedly sent out by organised crime gangs (i.e. mafias) so the people involved are very intelligent (if you look at it that way.)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 12:09 PM
m0p

I've been getting these, and some stupid adverts for suspicious online pharmacies too, about 20 of them a day, for a couple of months. So annoying.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 12:37 PM

I actually do play the market and receive these same damn e-mails. I have responded to several requesting to be removed from their database. What has helped is adding them to my junk e-mail list. Also keeping my spam filters on a higher setting. Now, maybe two or three get by in a week. But compared to the 20 or more a day I was getting...... I can live with that. You should set up more than one e-mail account..... use one for correspondence with trusted friends, associates, business. Use the other for anything you don't care about, like correspondence to strangers, the evilbay, etc., that should help too.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 12:58 PM

Never respond to spam - all it does is it tells the spammers that your adress exists, and there is someone there actually checking their inbox and readintg the mails - you will only get more spam coming. I am pretty sure that automated "out of office messages" do the same.

I think those bits of text are just drawn randomly from various blogs, websites, what not, and yes, they're there to make your spam filter think that you're getting a legitimate text message.

I find some of those quite entertaining actually - they read like surreal/dadaist automatic writing
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
Never respond to spam - all it does is it tells the spammers that your adress exists
That's why I mentioned having more than one e-mail account..... It won't matter as long as you use your "spoof mail box". They can load that up all day long as I let it sit on my POP3 mail server and occasionally check it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 04:05 PM

a sausage in corduroy trousers

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 04:08 PM

That whole story was FREAKY.
It reminds me of this sciene/fantasy series I read a few years ago about children being like, tested on or something.. *shudder* That was just weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~ Katrina
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Ok, I never used to get spam e-mail and then I sent a guy a message via e-bay with my e-mail address on asking for closer pictures of this guitar. I then get an e-mail from e-bay telling me to cease communication because the guy had been banned from the site (probably because it turned out he was a scammer, which is why I wanted the photos.)

ANYWAY, I'll been getting these crazy e-mails about the stock market ever since then, but more disturbingly, they've recently had weird little stories attached to the bottom of the e-mails and I'm wondering if they have subliminal messages hidden inside them or something.

Weird eh? I've got more of these but with different stories and they all have this weird thing where words are pushed together, which looks to be on purpose.

So, any ideas what these mean?
I have these same emails in my account that's set up for my paypal transactions. Drives me nuts!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to explain bad tubes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode