Canada and guitar gear, namely pickups - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Sho

Canada and guitar gear, namely pickups

It's brutal. Been looking for a TB-5 in Canada for weeks and not one has to be had. JAM Canada thinks it's a great idea not to properly stock seymour duncan pickups. Even though they are the sole supplier. Pickups aren't the only thing that are hard to get. Selection of guitars amps cabs and etc pales to comparison to the states. Then people here complain to me that I shop in the US. Anyone have the same issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Canada and guitar gear, namely pickups

I'm near Vancouver so selection is pretty good here...but in the Kootenays I doubt you have any big music stores near you...you're best bet is to do a road trip and drive to a Long & McQuade store in either Calgary (2 locations) or in Lethbridge...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Sho

I deal with Axe and L&M most of the time. I had ordered one through a local dealer. They couldn't get it. With that, that's the end of my special ordering. I literally phoned every company and they couldn't get one or it'll be special order. AKA god only knows when you're going to get it.

I decided to get it from the states. I'd still like this thread for discussion. Just because we are Canadian musicians, why should we have it harder?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 PM

Reviews: 57

Agree... it completely sucks getting proper gear here. Unless you're looking for the typical mid-range stuff all the stores carry it's next to impossible. Special orders, eBay and private sales are pretty much the best options.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 PM

Reviews: 3

my god getting guitar parts here for a good price is impossible. i think every part ive ordered is from the states.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Sho

Prices are a good $30 or more. I just honestly think Canadian companies are more greedy. Then they wonder why we shop in the states instead.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Reviews: 10

I live 3 miles from a border crossing here in sw BC but I still don't shop in the US...kind of a principled thing - plus crossing the border here is a hassle...long lineups, cranky border crossing guards and then I have to go inside onthe way back and pay duty and PST..I can't be bothered...
I have ordered some stuff online from the US...like from Keeley - I bought a couple of his pedals that I really like and I sent one down to get modded which tured out fine...I hear what you guys are saying but I prefer to spend my money with Canadian companies if I can...although I would like to get a guitar from Rich at Ibanez rules someday but I hear he can't ship guitars to Canada in one piece
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Sho

Beyond the rules of items that can and can not be shipped to Canada. When you have hunt for weeks just for one item? That's stupid. It's not the point of they can't do it. Pretty much every answer I get "Pickups aren't popular enough to keep stocked." If no retailer will stock them, the supplier won't get them.

If mess around for weeks to even to see if it can be ordered. I could of ordered from the states and had it by that time. Used guitar goods are mainly in the states as well.

I'm at the point of just ordering everything from the states. Anything MIA is cheaper in the end.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:01 PM

I'll help you out.
Tell me what you want and I'll get it and send it to you, just Paypal me the money.
Or buy something used on Ebay.
Screw the locals, what do you want?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Sho

I buy my stuff from the guys here or US venders that ship here. I feel conforable getting my stuff myself.

Canadian music merchants need to smarten up.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Have you tried LA music? Based in Port Credit, ON - their site is good, and they've got a on of selection - but maybe not so much for pickups. Maybe worth a look?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Reviews: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho View Post
I buy my stuff from the guys here or US venders that ship here. I feel conforable getting my stuff myself.

Canadian music merchants need to smarten up.
They guitar guy at my local L&M actually tells me almost every time I ask about something that I'd be better off buying online. Of course, I know this anyway, but if they have something in stock and it's close to the right price I'll buy it from them.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Sho

Made in USA stuff is easy. Worst case you have to pay taxes, which you would of had to do anyways. I ordered a pickup on the 9th and was in Canada customs cleared on the 17th. Better than dinking around nationally for 3 weeks for nothing. I paid $15 less than I would have locally and I'm actually getting the pickup. I would of paid even less but I opted for Priority mail.

Most music companies in Canada don't make money on the equipment. They make it on services like repairs and music lessons. Not caring about its customers that need equipment. Greedy if you ask me. If you're not going to care about ordering something for your customers, why should you even bother? Have the decency to figure out if you can get the item or not. Not leave your customer waiting for weeks just to hear, oh I'm sorry it's not in stock I don't know when I can get it in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode