Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Canada vs US in World Jr Hockey today

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  doriangrey 
#1 ·
Not sure if any of you are watching the world junior hockey championship but it's a pretty big deal up here and Canada plays US tonight...the winner moves on to play for gold...should be an awesome game!

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=347881

#3 ·
yeah I know, I'm a little worried about our goaltending too =[ But Visentin looked alright against the Swiss even though he let in a soft goal early in the game. At this point I think Visentin looks better than Roy.

It could be a feisty game given that its a rematch of last year's gold medal game so there might be quite a few power plays so special teams will be a big part of it too...

On an interesting side note - USA Captain John Ramage and USA alternate Captain Ryan Bourque are both sons of Canadian hockey players Rob Ramage and Ray Bourque...some good Canadian hockey genes passed on there ;o)

#6 ·
Yes, bring on the Russians for the Gold medal!!! No disrespect to U.S. fans but Canada was the better team and we dominated the play for much of the game.
With the US being our neighbours I will root for them in games that don't involve Canada so I wish the U.S. good luck in the game against Sweden.

btw, where were all the U.S. fans? With all the Canadian sweaters in the crowd it looked like that game was being played in Canada...I know Buffalo is close to the Ontario border but we looked like the home team there...

Bring on Russia for gold - GO CANADA !!!

#8 ·
You should definitely check it out - they are playinig great hockey! Lotsa 1st round NHL picks playing. I watched the Canada US game and then afterwards I switched over to the Canaucks / Ducks game and the NHL game seemed slower in comparison.

#11 · (Edited)
They swapped 2nd rounders this year, and sent "a" first round pick, the Devils choice of the next three drafts. And, the NHL penalized the Devils another first (and a 3rd) for signing him, also the Devils choice in the next four drafts. It's one and done here unless the Devs trade Parise for picks.

#13 ·
Same as Ovi - put a defenseman in his face and a forward on his ass and his game suffers. Crosby keeps changing his game, that's why he's still producing like his is. It seems like the rest of the NHL has caught on to the Russian snipers habits and are taking them away.

Canada vs Russia is tonight, right?

#14 ·
Yup, Canada vs Russia tonight - BIG GAME - its in the 1st period right now......but I'm still stuck at work...argggghhhh...but my pvr is set to record it so no radio on the way home...I've watched every Canada game so I wont be missing this one ;o)

lotsa hockey history between Canada & Russia... although I think that's changing with the US hockey program getting so much better and producing so many great players ...

US got bronze against Sweden so at least US didn't go home empty handed...

#16 ·
...brutal loss...devastating...I'm still in shock....how we could have let that game slip away...we were up 3 - 0 going into the 3rd! so frustrating...I don't know how much attention the tournament gets down in the US but it's a big deal up here (as you could probably tell by the sea of red jerseys in the stands) so that loss really hurts =(

We owned the game in the first 2 periods and then we came out in the 3rd and started trying to play defensive trap crap hockey - we should have kept playing the way we did in the first two periods instead of changing to protect a lead...another example of how the game is over-coached these days...after it was 3 -3 we started to play a little better but by then momentum and confidence had already shifted...I think it was the worst collpase I've seen by Team Canada...gotta give the Russians credit too cuz once they smelled blood they poured it on and played an epic 3rd period getting 5 goals in about 15 minutes.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still proud of our team cuz silver is definitely something to be proud of but that game & tournament was ours to win...

Overall, I'm sooper proud of the fact that in the last 10 years we have won 5 gold and 5 silver medals at that tournament so even though I'm totally bummed about the loss last night I'm not hanging my head...k, I'll stop now... ;)

Ron

#17 ·
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Russia was partying on the ice and holding up the championship trophy, Wednesday night.

But the celebrations didn't end there, and it looks like they may have gone a little too far. News 4 has confirmed with Delta Airlines that Team Russia was not allowed to get on their flight to Atlanta at 6:10 a.m. Thursday morning.

In a statement from Delta Airlines, spokeswoman Susan Elliot said, "The crew of flight 1266 opted to deny boarding to 30 passengers displaying unruly behavior to ensure the safe operation of the flight. These passengers will be re-booked on a future flight."

:D from http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/erie/Airline-kicks-unruly-Team-Russia-off-flight

#22 ·
I think the on ice celebrating would have been way over the top if they had scored 5 in the first two periods and Canada came back with 3 in the third, but Russia missed at least one wide open net and came close on another shot in the third as well. Not for nothing, but the Russians bitch slapped Canada in the 3rd, no question. I still feel bad for Mark Vizentin. That second intermission must have been pretty somber in the Russian dressing room, and they flat out exploded in the 3rd. For that reason alone I think they get some slack, then a bit more since they're all under 20, and then just a little bit more because they're not in Russia ;)

Canada will be back next year ready to rock no doubt. Where is next year's tournament being played?

#25 ·
I think they get some slack, then a bit more since they're all under 20, and then just a little bit more because they're not in Russia ;)

Canada will be back next year ready to rock no doubt. Where is next year's tournament being played?
Fair enough...I guess I was a little sore the day after the game cuz we blew it so bad in the 3rd but you're right Jim - they're kids sitting on top of the world for a few moments so let 'em have their fun :)

Next year it's being played in Alberta - Calgary & Edmonton - so we'll be the home team :)

Ron

#23 ·
"Fair enough...but I think their on-ice celebrating was close to borderline obnoxious imho, which I guess carried over onto the airplane after mixing in some alcohol..."

I disagree, They earned it... and they celibrated it, no different then we would have if we won. I even saw one of the Russian players give his stick over the boards to a couple fans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.