Canadian Dollar at $0.70 US - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Canadian Dollar at $0.70 US

Canadian dollar has been sinking like a stone and hit a 13 year low this week...it's currently down to about $.70 US =( My boss is going to Maui for vacation and said that it cost him $1,480 to buy $1,000 USD. Looks like the wife and I will be staying in Canada for vacation this year...I guess too much of our economy hinges on oil.

I was trying to save up to buy a guitar from Rich (it's kind of a bucket list thing for me to someday buy a nice Ibanez guitar from Rich) but with the CDN $ where it's at that goal keeps getting farther away... =(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 09:08 PM

Re: Canadian Dollar at $0.70 US

Does that mean I just overpaid for my new amp
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:02 PM

Im stoked. I get paid in USD lol
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 09:29 AM

Reviews: 1

Yep, our money is going down the drain. Look at the price of gear here compared to the US. Most of it has reached new highs. Even on the used market, some are adjusting their offer to that new reality. Anyway, I decided that this year will be a quiet one regarding GAS. No new gear in sight.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenoA View Post
Yep, our money is going down the drain. Look at the price of gear here compared to the US. Most of it has reached new highs. Even on the used market, some are adjusting their offer to that new reality. Anyway, I decided that this year will be a quiet one regarding GAS. No new gear in sight.
Yes, I am also noticing price changes on gear... I guess that is cold turkey cure for GAS - a low dollar taking guitar gear further and further out of my price range =(
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:31 PM

Works well against the UK pound...down to $1.42 with average the past few years around $1.70. Time to visit London!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 08:25 AM

Yeah, admittedly I follow the USD a lot closer than the CAD... But, I suspect what you're seeing is the USD strengthening against virtually everything, rather than the CAD weakening against a wide basket of currencies.

Looks like the CAD has been pretty stable against the EUR, so it might be a good time to look at vacationing in Europe instead of US protectorates.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 12:43 PM

The NZ $ is worth only 67c US and 89c Canadian.....
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Vendor

It's a good time to be selling a Canadian JEM collection. Too bad it wasn't 3 months ago when the rate was stupid good.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 04:28 PM

Reviews: 21

Not to wiggle into a political or sports discussion but I'm wondering how this affects the NHL. Do you think Stamkos will go from Tampa to Toronto? From a state with a low sales tax and no state income tax to a weak Canadian dollar and high taxes?
No offense to all my Canadian friends. I just take interest on other facets of the problem.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Not to wiggle into a political or sports discussion but I'm wondering how this affects the NHL. Do you think Stamkos will go from Tampa to Toronto? From a state with a low sales tax and no state income tax to a weak Canadian dollar and high taxes?
No offense to all my Canadian friends. I just take interest on other facets of the problem.
I have heard that this is impacting the Canadian Football League. It is not a wealthy league and the markets are small compared to U.S. markets so the pay is quite low for many players. Now, with the weak dollar, a few U.S. players are balking at coming up here to play. Between the weak dollar and the higher tax rate, they wind up earning very little.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 04:01 PM

It's funny. People in Canada burn on South Florida for having an NHL team and are howling for the Panthers to move to Quebec City. While it would be great to have the Nordiques back the metro QC area has less than a million people. We have 5 million people. Sure, not all of them go to the game... but then add in the whole weak dollar and taxation. The weak Canadian dollar helped do the Nordiques in in the first place.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:56 PM

Wasn't the Lightning in the finals last year and have one title? Doing better than my Leafs
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:24 AM

I've seen some tempting guitars on the Bay out of Canada but I've never bought out of the US. What kind of duties do guitars usually get hit with going from Canada to the US?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I've seen some tempting guitars on the Bay out of Canada but I've never bought out of the US. What kind of duties do guitars usually get hit with going from Canada to the US?
That's a good question - I'm not sure how it works when shipping from Canada to US but shipping from US to Canada is not cheap. For example, it I were to buy a $1,000 RG from Rich I would pay about $350 in shipping, taxes, duty, etc. (this is based on the estimate that I found on the shipping cost calculator on borderlinx). Factor in the fact that it costs about $1,350 CDN to buy $1,000 USD - that $1,000 RG I am looking at on Rich's site will wind up costing me close to $1,700 CDN by the time it gets to my house. =(

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode