Candy!!! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Reviews: 98
Candy!!!

Hey fellas! I was talking to my 8-year old daughter about the candy I liked as a kid. I would ride my bike up to the local pharmacy armed with $5.00, and I'd get 5-6 comic books, a few small bottles (yes, the glas ones) of Coke, and some candy. The candy I'd always get was: bottlecaps, Pop Rocks, Reese's cups, and some Tangy Taffy. On our bi-weekly comic book store trip yesterday, she found Bottlecaps. I ciuldn't believe they still made those! So, I'm just curious to what candy other folks cherished as a kid, and would love to have again. I know some of you are still a few years older than I was then, I turned 42 today, but I think it would be a fun topic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 PM

Re: Candy!!!

happy bday .I really liked most all candy,one thing in particular (if you want to classify as candy)that i kinda miss, were the little wax "candy" that were shaped like bottles or other things and had juice in them.those and rootbeer was/is my favorite flavored bottlecaps.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I remember those! They had a liquid in the middle...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:02 PM

yup
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 PM

Reviews: 4

They just reissued the Mars bar!! I really hope the reissue the marathon bar too!!

(the rootbeer are my fav too!)

Oh, they still make those wax bottles, at least down in the southeast USA!!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I just found some Chick-O-Sticks too--haven't had one of those in 30+ years!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 11:50 PM

Since I'm getting ready to turn 25 in three weeks, which is also when my daughter is due (which my grandparents will be 75 my mom 50 me 25 and my daughter a newborn), most of the candy I liked is still around. Circus peanuts, Charleston Chew, gummy worms/bear/sharks, Reese's cups and Mtn. Dew. The one I used to get all the time that isn't around now is candy cigarettes.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Those candy cigarettes are still aroundm. I just saw some all the way up here in Alaska. For all of you other candy afficianados, go to Google and search "candy you ate as a kid." You can order pretty much any candy there ever was.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 01:27 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Candy!!!

I used to love going into 7-11 as a kid and perusing the candy aisle...The year? 1978 I believe...

Top shelf was trident, hubba bubba, fresh'n up, teaberry, chiclets, life savers, charms, certs (with retsin), pixy straws, slim jims, and fat freddies...

Second shelf was m&m's, 100,000 bar, reggie bar, snickers, milky way, clark bar, o' henry, zagnut ...

Third shelf was Mike 'n Ikes, dots, Necco Wafers (chocolate and colored), jujyfruits,
lik m aid, wax lips, wax bottles, boston baked beans, chuckles, razzles...

Fourth shelf (everything cost a penny) bb bats, bazooka joe, jolly ranchers, now and laters, double bubble, tootsie rolls, smarties, dum dums...This was my favorite shelf!

My buddy and I, once found a hundred dollar bill on the street, we got the store manager at foodtown to beak it for us. My buddy was going to save his, but I went right over and purchased $37.00 worth of candy, a carton of marlboro, and a bag of redman chew! My buddy got in trouble and his father called the police to turn in the cash...Too late for my old man, my money was gone! Oh yeah, I told him I spent it all on candy...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I remember hitting the stores in 78 as well! We'd go in and complain when the 5 cent candy went up to 10 cents. I forgot about Boston Baked Beans--I loved those. And, we can't forget Luden's cough drops--not a candy, but those little cherry flavored ovals were better than some of the other stuff...

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 02:40 AM

Reviews: 34

Well coming from the other side of the pond I don't recognise a lot of those sweets.

We had Sherbert dib dabs, moondust, chocolate mice and flying saucers (also known as thirst quenchers). Probably the best thing was the chewing gum you got in the Star Wars trading cards.

Still all of these are nothing compared to the creme egg. Still my favourite sweet and the basis of "creme egg bonus system" I introduce wherever I work.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Well coming from the other side of the pond I don't recognise a lot of those sweets.

We had Sherbert dib dabs, moondust, chocolate mice and flying saucers (also known as thirst quenchers). Probably the best thing was the chewing gum you got in the Star Wars trading cards.

Still all of these are nothing compared to the creme egg. Still my favourite sweet and the basis of "creme egg bonus system" I introduce wherever I work.
ahhhhh cadburys cream eggs you american dudes need to try these out,freaking gorgeous,i can eat cream eggs till they come out my ears lol.i was shopping last week and there was a basket full of cream eggs 10p each (normaly 50p) they must have been out of code,i bought 25 and ate 20 in 1 afternoon,i only left 5 for my son,he wasnt best pleased lol.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Banned

as for candy (sweets) of yesteryear i remember spangles,marathon bar,curly wurly,a marathon was 10p and a packet of crisp was 6p,bus fare to school was 3p lol those were the days eh
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM

When I was a kid, these candy cigarettes were popular (the name being slang for cigarette, rather than anything to do with sexual preference). The idea was that you could go to the milk bar with mum or dad, and when they bought a packet of REAL smokes, they could get these for the kids:

You can still get them but they changed the name to FADS and removed the reddened tip that was meant to look like the lit end of the cigarette.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:57 AM

Reviews: 1

+1 on the Marathon bars!

We have Cadbury over here.
Their plain milk chocolate bars are excellent.
The creme eggs are a tad over the top, but I'll have one if the mood strikes.

Love Nerds, Reese's PB cups.
Any good milk chocolate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode