Canned!!! (that's putting it nicely) - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Canned!!! (that's putting it nicely)

Well.....this afternoon......after 20 years of ever faithful service, I got the shocker from HELL! I just got layed off Why didn't they just say YOUR FIRED Business has been real bad and they are cutting corners! I guess I'm one of those corners. It would have helped if they gave me a little notice or something so I could look for another job It appears that they are working on moving the entire business up to Rapid City, SD. But that's in the future! They made me leave today for good. Just wait until they find out how much more work I'm handling than the other Account Managers!!! I could have handled the whole damn place. Look how much SPARE time I had on my hands (over 2000 posts here) Sorry to whine I just needed to and my Jemsite brothers came to mind. (pretty sad eh?)

I've never been ~FIRED~ before~ Doesn't feel real good

Ah...new horizons await........................

This is a postive thing......right????

Apologize for the infantile whining!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:27 PM

Re: Canned!!! (that's putting it nicely)

its not whining its called being pissed off cause you got stabbed in the back..

similar thing happen to me in a old job.. DONT TAKE THIS WRONG but if your as good as you say you are, then you will have no problem finding a new job.

I wish ya the best it sucks.. I been there immediatly get on unemployment so you can get something coming in while your job hunting. I would go there in the morning if CO has one.

Good Luck Bro
Brett
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:29 PM

All of the books and info that I've heard from people leads me to believe that the job market is total ****e right now which is why i'm staying in school atleast until I get my master's so that I can fall back on teaching if worse ever comes to worse. It definitely sucks that you got laid off and it seems like this trend is only going to continue with all the foreign outsourcing and re-organization that companies are doing. But I wish you luck in finding a new job that's hopefully better (or atleast more secure) than the last.
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:36 PM

well I dont want to start a fight but I see it on a daily basis. Things are being outsourced partly due to the fact that a.) American Labor is way way overpriced. And B.) American workers makiing the money are not buying american products cause of price.

If the majority of american people who make lets say $60+ a year refuse to buy american products cause of price then what are businesses supposed to do?

Got to look on both sides of the fence. Its just not corporate greed its also Americans in general and there cheap buying habits.

Lets say a pair of shoes made in the US is $120 and a pair made overseas is $60 most Americans will not buy the US product which has better quality and made by american workers, based on price. So said company sooner or later has no choice but to then outsource there product to lower there product price or suffer sales ups and downs due to there product not landing on the majority of the customers.

my 2 cents.. Corporate greed is a huge huge problem but so is the American way of buying.

ok im going to run and hide.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:37 PM

Sorry to hear man. All the best
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
rgr

Sorry to hear that Jim!!! I got it in '03, strangely enough I'm back at the same place, go figure. It is a totally sucky feeling, the reason you were "laid off" instead of "fired" is so you can get unemployment. Definitely head there tomorrow and file, it takes a few weeks for it to start, don't remember exactly how many. http://www.coworkforce.com/ is the website for all the forms, info, etc...
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the words guys

Well........still kinda in shock, but I'm being positive and trying looking at it as a blessing in disguise. (tell that to the bill collector) As far as the job market, I am in the Insurance business. Been in it since straight out of Highschool. I've been through all facets of the job pretty much. Hopefully it wont be too terrible hard to get another insurance job. But this brings me to another point. After all these years I have come to HATE insurance. I'm like......this isn't what I want to do the rest of my life. Problem being…it is my career...grrrr! I'd love to do something for a living that I enjoy! I know...fairy tale pipe dream Few, few people ever get that chance.

Ah well...off to monsterjob!!

BTW - Brett, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was that good. I'm not. It's just that they are that bad

Thanks for your words
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
All of the books and info that I've heard from people leads me to believe that the job market is total ****e right now
That totally depends on what field you are going into. I'm a software developer and after 5 years of it being in the tank, the job market is really, really, (did I say really) hot right now! We have 4 job openings where I work and we are having a tough time getting interest because the IT market is that hot. A guy could easily job hop for a 10-20k raise. I love my job, coworkers, and my 2 mile commute, so this programmer is staying put for the time being. I might regret it later hehee....

For sure though: The idea of working at one company for your entire life is OVER, at least in the USA, and yes, that includes government jobs.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
Sorry to hear that Jim!!! I got it in '03, strangely enough I'm back at the same place, go figure. It is a totally sucky feeling, the reason you were "laid off" instead of "fired" is so you can get unemployment. Definitely head there tomorrow and file, it takes a few weeks for it to start, don't remember exactly how many. http://www.coworkforce.com/ is the website for all the forms, info, etc...
Thanks Rog Really.

Unemployment takes a while right??? I am hoping to get a job sooner than that. (maybe wishful thinking)

Wow...filing for unemployment......seems a nightmare come true.

At least I have a little $ padding.

So much for my extreme case of GAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrie
For sure though: The idea of working at one company for your entire life is OVER, at least in the USA, and yes, that includes government jobs.
Guess so 20 years is a LOONNGG time
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:21 PM
rgr

UI takes a little while to kick in, after you file, so file ASAP, if you get a job, you can cancel it. If you don't, you want those checks coming in. You deserve it after paying in so long. Give me a call sometime if you have questions, I may be able to help out some, it's been a couple of years for me though. Shoot me an e-mail or PM me if you need my contact info again.

Later, best to ya,
Roger

Last edited by rgr; 04-04-2006 at 03:09 PM.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:22 PM

file unemployment even if you know your going to have a job at the end of the week.. A check is a check
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:27 PM

No, dude. You haven't been fired. You've been laid off. There's a difference between the two situations (besides unemployment compensation). When you're laid off you can put references from your former company on your resume. When you're fired, on the other hand, you can not (unless you know for sure no one will call and ask them why you've left the company).

I guess the point of this is, you aren't going to make it easier for yourself to find another job by being visibly angry at your former employer. Do not burn bridges with them, and do not show your anger in a job interview with a potential employer - you simply won't be hired if you do. If they ask "why have you left your last job", say something polite and don't dwell on it.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector
file unemployment even if you know your going to have a job at the end of the week.. A check is a check
Thanks IC - I'll be filing tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
No, dude. You haven't been fired. You've been laid off. There's a difference between the two situations (besides unemployment compensation). When you're laid off you can put references from your former company on your resume. When you're fired, on the other hand, you can not (unless you know for sure no one will call and ask them why you've left the company).

I guess the point of this is, you aren't going to make it easier for yourself to find another job by being visibly angry at your former employer. Do not burn bridges with them, and do not show your anger in a job interview with a potential employer - you simply won't be hired if you do. If they ask "why have you left your last job", say something polite and don't dwell on it.
Laid off / fired. Seems pretty much the same but your right. I did get a two weeks check and vacation pay (hadn't used any) and he told me to please use him as a reference. I didn't burn bridges. I just left,...no argument...no nothing even though I know I got screwed. I was making too much money after all those years. I just think they couldn't afford me anymore. I won't show any hostility or anger in an interview. Hopefully common sense and wherewithal will prevail
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:08 PM

I'm sorry to hear that JJemmer
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:28 PM

you've still got your guitars and you still love music right? life is good

Tags
darren wilson , john sykes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode