Canon or Nikon for Digital SLR ??? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
Canon or Nikon for Digital SLR ???

Im thinking of buying a Digital SLR..
I hear Nikon are better then Canon or use better lenses..
I want to spend around $1000 maybe $1200
Later on I can buy other lenses... etc..
Anyone have any non smartass opinions ? :cheesy:

Do the Digital SLR's have the feature to leave the shutter open indefinitly, like the old skool slr's for night photography ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 07:53 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Canon or Nikon for Digital SLR ???

My father has a nikon which i use all the time for gigs, my photography and the occasional skating photography i do.

i think nikon man, straight up answer.
i think the answer to shutter is yes.

honestly i use analog alot, polaroids, i have a lomo fisheye, i use an iphone fisheye with loads of apps and an old Nikon FG.

Aus?

i think Nikon D30 is like $1000-$1200.

Cam-Vai
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 AM

I have some Nikons, and usually Bodies as well as Lenses are a little more expensive. Both are great cameras . Canons in your price range currently have a little higher resolution. Don't think it matters much though. 12.x vs 15.x. I like the Nikons because i think they are a little easier to use, and things are more straight forward.

Most DSLR's have a bulb setting to leave the shutter open.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

your budget is $1000 to $1200 with a lens right? what are you going to be shooting. Do you want to shoot HD video? Nikon vs Canon has been discussed in the photo mega-thread but lens choices are important too. For example if a friend or family member has a nikon or canon you'd have more lenses to loan & try out. Nikon has that apple-like cult following but removing emotions or nostalgit it's really hard to recommend buying into the nikon eco-system for beginners or casuals. If you had unlimited cash and were pro then you could create a fantastic nikon full frame camera bag(s). Their premium lenses generally are overpriced and under-supplied but you won't be buying those.

Canon has two great offerings at this price point the 50D (no video, magnesium body, 15mp, etc) and just announced (same list price $1099) 60D (similar to 60D with HD video, 18mp, articulating screen) but if you don't need video the 50D is an absolute steal. Especially the "kit" which has a quality film lens 28-135IS.

On the Nikon side you'll see the D3100 "2 lens kit" is attractive at a similar price but i wouldn't go below the D90 level myself (avoid the 4 digit Nikons) at that price.

Go to Adorama.com click into digital cameras then check canon, nikon & " Interchangeable Lens DSLR's". then sort by price and you'll see many choices... glen
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Canon, better glass, better files from the camera, better sensors. I make my living in HD production & photography & use 4 Canon 5D Mark II's in my studio for both HD video & still photography. The only camera I've used that has produced better, sharper images for still photography is the Leica M9 & Leica glass.

I bought the Rebel T1i for my mother & sister-in-law. Great little camera for $799 with the kit lens. The kit lens is a paperweight in my opinion, but it gets you into a great camera cheap, freeing up some extra cash for some decent lenses. 50mm 1.4 is a great one, 28-135IS is a great affordable walk around lens.

Nikon makes a fine camera no doubt, but they always seem to be 3 steps behind Canon on technology, whether it be megapixels, full frame sensors, hd video...

That's my 2 cents.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:13 PM
site founder 0% owner

^ along with this I will vouch for the T1i as a "great little camera". While i wouldn't want it personally as it's too small for me - i bought my wife a T1i last year and it has produced fantastic results. She has a great photographic eye & is great photographing people/kids. She's an anti-tekkie and barely knows how to use, can't grasp RAW and i need to help her process files on occasion. At least 5 of her friends asked "what camera do you shoot with" and one for her b-day printed up business cards for her. Of course the std line is "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" but no similarly priced Nikon comes close (since the OP asked about brands).

FWIW i'd get an Olympus PEN or similar Panny Micro 4:3 over any Nikon below a D700 for portability and usability purposes alone (and quick video).. glen
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:04 PM

I've always liked the Niko stuff I've used. I just picked up a D5000 about a week ago, and haven't even taken it out of the box yet because I've been so busy.

I have also been very impressed with the Canon SD870IS point-and-shoot I have as well.

I'm just more familiar with the Nikon stuff, that's why I got the D5000 (because I wanted video as well and the 3100 wasn't out yet).

On a casual level, I don't really think you can go wrong with either one.

Just remember, once you start picking up stuff like a camera bag, filter, polarizer, extra battery, memory card, etc. the price really starts to go up.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, reckon I will go into a camera store today and have look see, then maybe purchase online for the better price. I got plenty of filters and SD cards etc... and camera bags from my old film slr days...

Im going to be in hong kong in october, should I buy it there maybe...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 08:21 PM

Reviews: 34

I have the nikon d3000 and my mate has the Canon 450d. In terms of value for money they are similar, although the Canon has more features, and is more expensive.

They take very similar quality pictures but the Canon probably feels as though it is a slightly better quality.

To compare pictures they seem identical.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 05:28 AM

Pentax K7
Canon 50D
Nikon D300

Those are test best semi-pros you can get. Lenses depend on what you're going for but a good starting lens in my opinion would be 17-70mm, followed by some 55-300mm.

Buying in HK could be slightly cheaper, though risk of fake/refurbed is there.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

according to aussy prices the best I can afford is either a Nikon D90 or a Canon EOS 550D.. seems like the canon has better features.. what do you guys think
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:48 AM

What features?

They are both good cameras. I don't believe you will see a difference in picture quality. I think you should do what you do with a guitar and either rent them for a weekend, or try them in the store to see which one you like better in terms of functionality and feel.

And don't believe that Canon has better glass, as a matter of fact canon shooters get converters to use nikon lenses on canon bodies for lenses like the 12-24. 2.8 and the 85/1.4.

Also check if you can use L lenses on the Canon or if you are stuck with the EF line
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:36 AM
site founder 0% owner

550D = Rebel T2i in USA
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...18_55mm_is_kit

D90
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...25446/D90.html

Both are very good but the Canon is imho the better body/buy unless you have some good Nikon glass handy (or friends with Nikon glass). ISO6400 native on the Canon is very useful (not just pushing exposure +1 stop) and HD 1080p vs 720p. Both systems have their quirks and require some time learning to get max. performance (if that is even a goal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanized View Post
Also check if you can use L lenses on the Canon or if you are stuck with the EF line
They all work. You can use any L-lens on any Canon film/digital SLR body sold since 1987 as they all use an EF mount... glen
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Canon and Nikon both make great cameras, you can't go wrong either way. You can't really judge which company is best - one might have a better 50mm lens and the other has a better 85mm. And the best from either brand is way too expensive for most normal folks anyways.

Personally I'm a Canon guy. I started with a rebel 5 or 6 years ago, and I've upgraded gradually over time. I've browsed Nikon a couple times out of curiosity, and it always seems like they're more expensive for the stuff I'm interested in.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanized View Post
Yikes!

I will say this, I've shot side by side comparisons Canon/Nikon shots using the same focal length & aperture at 1600 ISO & up and Canon absolutely, positively KILLS Nikon on high ISO shots. Not even comparable (my buddy with the Nikon recently bought the Canon 1Ds after our little experiment). If you do a lot of low light photography, which most of us do, Canon will be better, hence my comment about better sensors above.

Most folks who say they hate something have typically never really tried the other thing, they just love what they are used to. I've messed around with both, and Canon has won me over hands down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode