Car Related Questions - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Car Related Questions

Two things:

1. How can I fine tune my car to get better MPG? (i.e. oil change, after market engine parts, etc.)

2. How much do you think it would cost (or would seem reasonable) for a new front hood on a 1995 BMW 5-series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 PM

Re: Car Related Questions

1. get a new air filter, or if possible an entire intake assembly.
2. new exhaust, or muffler.
3. tune up/oil change.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:15 AM

get the tornado
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:05 AM

Remove the lead off the bottom of you right shoe.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 07:43 AM

Reviews: 18

Check your tire pressure as well, most people overlook this.

Jimmy
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 03:12 PM

splitfire plugs
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 03:22 PM

The tornado doesn't work.

1. Mostly comes down to how you drive the car. Exhaust, intake, etc will help but for the money it's not really worth it unless you want to gain more HP too.

2. Look for a 5-series that has been rear-ended or something and get the hood off that for the cheapest. It might take some time to find but most aftermarket stuff is pretty expensive, around $1k for a decent hood =\
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 03:31 PM

i know the tornado doesn't work, it was a joke man.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 03:57 PM

It's all good, I thought you might be joking =) It's just that so many people buy them off **** so some people are convinced by it... and waste their money.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:13 PM

I know how you feel mate, I've got a 318i and the MPG is less than my FTO, go figure that one out. The FTO is 2ltr/V6 too but the BMW guzzles fuel through that little 1.8 like nobodies business. The only trouble is you can't realisticly use the FTO to transport children

Ben
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
I know how you feel mate, I've got a 318i and the MPG is less than my FTO, go figure that one out. The FTO is 2ltr/V6 too but the BMW guzzles fuel through that little 1.8 like nobodies business. The only trouble is you can't realisticly use the FTO to transport children

Ben
I have an ST24 mondeo 2.5 V6 - can transport children but likes to do it a rate of (absolute max) 30mpg - if im on my own in the car - 18 mpg
but at least I only have to have one car (apart from the work van)

AHA !! eggy - while your around - im in need of a pro tutorial for cabinet scraper use and burnishing !!! - you gotta be da man !
any pointers ?
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 05:20 PM

when you drive try to use crusie control unless your foot is just un-natrually steady . the constant accerleration/deceleration burns more fuel then just a constant burn .
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:56 PM

accelerate slower. the slower you accelerate, the less fuel you burn.

i presume you want a dramatic change, and this is the most cost effective although most frustrating way!

little things help though, like putting the car in a low gear and use engine braking aswell as regular braking to slow down rather than digging the clutch right in, as the effort in keeping the engine running comes from the cars motion rather that way rather than sticking the clutch in and the car uses fuel to keep itself running. this also applies when pulling up to a standstill, clutch it as late as possible without stalling and you save a lil bit!

sorry if you drive an auto cos that last bit will be useless!

Last edited by timi_h; 03-14-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: forgot most americans drive autos
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Hm. Ok so I do smooth, steady accelerations. I drive the speed limit or at max. 5 MPH over. My tire pressures match those that are written on the tire. On the highway, I use cruise control whenever I can.

On a full tank of gas, I get around 300 miles before barely empty. I'm not sure if that's below average or above average, but with gas prices hitting $4 a gal, anything will help. Once school's over, it's time to cover the car and whip out the bikes...
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 PM

Drafting.
Not mechanical drawing or enlisting military personnel. But the practice of moving in behind a vehicle and reducing the amount of wind resistance that your vehicle encounters. Less resistance=better engine efficiency=better mileage. You would in all likelyhood only be able to do this on the interstates....it's not much help in town.
The NASCAR people make a living out of doing this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode