career changes - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

career changes

i would obviously like to see my photography / video biz get enough clients to pay my mortgage and utils and such. when we move into the new home in a few months i will create what i have been waiting for for years...studio in the basement. i would like to get band clientele in there. i record now here and there via pro tools but only remotely due to lack of studio space.

but besides that, i'm talking about the day job. been in tech support / IT for about 12 years now. although i like it, i would love to do something else i think. i have never been the diehard IT guy, going to school for MCSE, blah blah blah...i am curious what you would be interested in doing, if you thought of it.

unfortunately what i would like to do requires more school. with my love for animals, especially dogs, i always wanted to do the veterinary medicine thing. or i could go to school to become an x-ray tech, as i thought about years ago. that would be a good stepping-stone for money.

what about you?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:36 PM

Re: career changes

I am also looking at a career change shred.

And you're right about the more school, with the Vet deal. I'd love to be a vet, but you're talking about what.....???

At LEAST 10 years of schooling??

Since you asked, what I would REALLY like to be would be something along the lines of a guidance counselor and more preferably, psychiatrist Something along the lines of helping people since theer are so many troubled folk in this world.

But......again..we are talking YEARS of additional schooling so I suppose it's just a pipe dream
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: career changes

hey man, you're right. i thought of counseling myself. i did go to school for that for a time but then film school and audio engineering took over, along with guitar. so my passions turned into the side biz.

as for the vet thing, i was thinking of volunteering at local shelters but that is a heartbreaker and i can't take all those guys home with me. for now i just give money to the humane society as much as i can. i know i would be great at that, as i always had a knack for it.

interesting story: one of my dogs had some blood work done for something minor last year and they found something in the testing. that led to more testing which led to more suspicious findings and more testing! what? then they wanted to do a bladder biopsy since they thought something was really wrong with her. they found it on a fluke. this doctor is really very good but i wanted to research first even though i saw the test results. after researching i called her to say before that biopsy is done (last resort) do the 2nd blood test again. she said that will cost $100! and it's pointless to do the test again. i said, do it, and this time she will fast for the test since the lab tech didn't tell me she had to fast...it's a fasting test. sure enough....her results were perfect. the lab screwed up. the vet said she didn't know the the lab made the mistake. i backtracked and double tracked the tests. i called the lab and asked if this one tech knew about the fasting for this test and they did not....there was my answer. my vet said i should do this for a living and that it was nice working with me. she didn't charge me the $100 and my baby wasn't subject to a bladder biopsy thank God.

it's just troubleshooting for me and making things work, whether computers or medicine. something worked out right.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

guitar teacher career?
how to decide on a new career

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode