Cervical Stenosis? Cant play guitar? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Cervical Stenosis? Cant play guitar?

I have had spinal stenosis since I was 17 but luckily (lol) it was only lumbar..while it is painful i have always been glad that I can at least play guitar.

For a bit now though, I have had some symptoms of cervical stenosis..hand numbing, weakness in the arms, hands, severe neck and shoulder pain, etc...

I havent really been able to play for a bit now and its looking like I wont be able to in the forseeable future. Does anyone else have the same issue? Did you get worse overtime? Did surgery help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: Cervical Stenosis? Cant play guitar?

I have a severe case of carpal tunnel. Always have. I got surgery on my left hand ind it mad a world of difference. Now if I can only get my right done.....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Re: Cervical Stenosis? Cant play guitar?

Back surgery is a bit different though, its a lot riskier and a ton of studies that I've read on spinal stenosis show that surgery is not even all that effective. I am not really a good candidate for surgery either as symptoms tend to come back after a few years post-surgery. Usually if people are 60-70 this is not an issue because they will probably be dead before their symptoms get bad again but I would just be setting myself up for trouble further down the road if I did opt for surgery.

Last edited by Stealthtastic; 07-17-2013 at 12:39 PM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:31 AM

I had carpal tunnel earlier this year and it absolutely wrecked my left fingering hand. I had minor carpal on right hand in the past but I could still play but knock on wood it's not on both sides.

I had to rest it and play very little. Later on my neurologist had me use a very uncomfortable wrist band at night and it works only if I use it. One night without it and it impedes some playing but any longer then I notice it again. It appears like something I will have to put up with for the foreseeable future, too.

When you get hit with something that sidelines you it really makes you think about what else is important besides music. Music may be fun and for some may pay the bills but it's amazing just how little it takes to put a person out of commission. I hope you recover soon.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 PM

I don't have the same issue but I have had rheumatoid arthritis since I was 8 years old. (now 36yrs old)

I can't shred because my fingers just won't move fast, but man I still love playing so I stick with it. Sucks to hear about your back problems though. That's a narrowing of the spine that causes pressure on the nerves in that area right? I've heard of people around here that have had that surgery and you're right, if you're young then it's just not much of an option. I was told the same thing when I needed hip replacement but the surgeon did it anyway. Hang in there maybe someone will discover a new procedure.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, its actually improved a lot with physio and i can play sitting down for 10 minutes now give or take without pain!!!

It doesnt seem like much it its pretty awesome IMO. I hope i can play within the year!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode