Checkfree hijacked and I'm pissed - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Checkfree hijacked and I'm pissed

I'm a little freaked what if these weasels installed a key logger type program to rip my other log ins. Sounds like they used some domain registration trick to do it. I have the latest Symantec and still found some trojans. Here's the email I recieved.

We take great care to keep your personal information secure. As part of these ongoing efforts, we are notifying you that the computer you use for online bill payment may have been exposed to software that puts the security of your computer's contents at risk. This letter will help you determine if your computer is actually infected and advise you how to fix the problem and protect yourself against future risk.

The malicious software affects some but not all customers who accessed online bill payment on Tuesday, December 2, 2008. For a limited period of time, some customers were redirected from the authentic bill payment service to another site that may have installed malicious software. Your computer may be infected if all of the following are true:

You attempted to access online bill payment between 12:30 a.m. and 10:10 a.m. Eastern time (GMT -5) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008, and
You were using a computer with the Windows operating system, and
You reached a blank screen rather than the usual bill payment screen when you attempted to navigate to online bill payment, and
After reaching the blank screen, your computer's virus protection program did not tell you via pop-up or other messaging that malicious software was detected and quarantined.

If all four of the conditions above are true, your computer may be infected. We have partnered with McAfeeŽ, the world's largest dedicated security technology company, to provide you with a complimentary copy of its VirusScanŽ Plus software which, when installed, will detect, block and remove any malicious software from your computer hard drive. Please contact us at 877-800-4864 for further instructions or 800-564-9184 (Option 1) for further instructions. We will also offer you both advice and free services that can help you mitigate any risk you may face as a result of this incident or other everyday exposures you may encounter.

CheckFree will never ask for your password via email or via phone. If you ever receive an email requesting your password, do not respond and delete the email immediately.

We value your business and your trust, and we apologize for any inconvenience this incident has caused.

Thank you,

Art D'Angelo
Vice President, CheckFree Customer Operations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:33 PM

Re: Checkfree hijacked and I'm pissed

There are several good free programs you can run to see if you are infected:
Trend Micro Online Virus Scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

or download and run Malwarebytes(free trial)
http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_A...are_d5756.html

you could also try a security forum and post a HiJack this log, which will show those with more experience whats running in your machine, and they will help you remove it.

I use this one:
http://forums.techguy.org/

Best of luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 09:14 PM

Reviews: 1

it sounds like a phishing attempt.
a lot of attempts will use the same language telling you the same thing, but then have you log into a link that looks like your site, but is just different enough to not be your bank.
Can you now log in to your bank the normal way?
If so, just change your PW, and move along.
the other thing is the site itself could have been compromised and not your machine. it sounds like you have a few issues as well, but they may be at fault more than you are.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 PM

You also need real anti virus software. Norton has well known security flaws.

The best free app is AVG Anti-Virus or buy NOD32 is considered the best overall.

Tags
hackers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode