Chinese take out - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Question Chinese take out

Just out of curiosity, what's it like when you go get Chinese take out in America? Is it really like you you see in all those movies? With the little white boxes? And the chop sticks? You see that on Seinfeld too. You see Kramer with the pods... It's hilarious.

This thread is probably gonna be considered lame by plenty of people, but I'm genuinely curious about this thing.

Out here in The Netherlands, when you go get Chinese food, you get these pretty big white plastic boxes in a rectangular shape. One with the main dish, and then one with rice or something like that.

I guess the most popular/well known dishes out here in The Netherlands are 'Babi Pangang', 'Foe Yong Hai' and 'Tjap Tjoi'.

'Babi Pangang' is pork with this sweet and sour sauce over it. It's pretty cool.

Then you've got 'Foe Yong Hai'. This is basically some kind of omelet.

And finally, you've got 'Tjap Tjoi'. This is all kinds of vegetables put together. Like paprika's and carrots and stuff. And then there is some pork in there too.

That's what Chinese food is like in The Netherlands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:26 AM

Re: Chinese take out

Its the same everywhere pretty much. Just depends on what restraunt you get your food from.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:34 AM

Generally, chop sticks are more common at Japanese restaurants that do tepanyaki (sic), where the chef cooks at your table, than at Chinese restaurants. Chinese fried rice really isn't "sticky," making using chopsticks insufferable.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's it like when you go get Chinese take out in America? Is it really like you you see in all those movies? With the little white boxes? And the chop sticks? You see that on Seinfeld too. You see Kramer with the pods... It's hilarious.

This thread is probably gonna be considered lame by plenty of people, but I'm genuinely curious about this thing.

Out here in The Netherlands, when you go get Chinese food, you get these pretty big white plastic boxes in a rectangular shape. One with the main dish, and then one with rice or something like that.
Same here where I am; plastic boxes with the rice in the seperate little white boxes on the side.

Quote:
I guess the most popular/well known dishes out here in The Netherlands are 'Babi Pangang', 'Foe Yong Hai' and 'Tjap Tjoi'.

'Babi Pangang' is pork with this sweet and sour sauce over it. It's pretty cool.

Then you've got 'Foe Yong Hai'. This is basically some kind of omelet.
We've got those here as well The 'Babi Pangang' is generally called by the highly imaginative name 'Sweet and Sour Pork'
'Foe Yong Hai' is calle 'Egg Foo Yung' over here, and is one of my personal faves. I love that stuff!
Quote:
And finally, you've got 'Tjap Tjoi'. This is all kinds of vegetables put together. Like paprika's and carrots and stuff. And then there is some pork in there too.

That's what Chinese food is like in The Netherlands.
There's lot of stuff that's similar to that here I think; does it come with little crepe like pancakes to roll it up in? That's called 'Moo Shu (meat name here)' here, and is also pretty good.

I think the appetizers are where it's at with Chinese food. If you can get steamed chicken dumplings with sesame/peanut sauce, that's insanely great!
Hmmmm.....chinese food....

jim
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:07 PM

Yup. Little white boxes and chopsticks. I think chinese people secretly run Jacksonville. There are like 10 chinese restaurants all within a 2 mile radius of me. All different names, all same menus!

Lately, we've been getting it in plastic containers with lids though for some reason.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
'Babi Pangang' is pork with this sweet and sour sauce over it.
It sounds more like a brothel, lol

We get both around where I live, plastic containers and little white boxes.

I'm supposed to be cooking tonight (I love cooking) but it looks like I may have a Chinese now instead
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Yup. Little white boxes and chopsticks. I think chinese people secretly run Jacksonville. There are like 10 chinese restaurants all within a 2 mile radius of me. All different names, all same menus!

Lately, we've been getting it in plastic containers with lids though for some reason.
lol, that's like the Indian's in Manchester over here. We actually have a LONG main road called "The Curry Mile"
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:26 PM

I enjoy Koe Yo Luk as well. Balls of chicken? fried with dough around them in fruit sauce.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:45 PM

General Toe's chicken is the ****...
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
General Toe's chicken is the ****...
+1, yeah I could almost live on General Tso chicken!
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 07:50 PM

Hmm, I will sell some of my recipes if anyone is interested. I own a Chinese restaurant, one of the best in Texas, open a quarter century. i know pretty much any sauce you may want. Gen. Tso and Sesame are some of our specialties.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
I own a Chinese restaurant
Hehe I always figured you a guy with an aesthetically correct coffin (sarcophagus cough)...with a name ending with Thep and all...
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 08:11 PM

My full last name is ***********. I'll give a dollar to anyone who can pronounce that.

Last edited by C.Thep; 11-05-2006 at 02:04 PM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 08:41 PM

I've heard worse, eventhough I can't pronounce it.

Try this name, a research associate at the school I graduated from: Sasawat Mahanbunphachai
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:10 PM

Sounds Thai. Alot of thai names end "wat"

Thai food over here is dicusting. All it is peanuts, lettuce, nasty sweet and spicy sauce, and noodles.

Real thai food though, is awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to tell chinese squier from serial
how to identify a chinese copy ibanez

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode